How to submit multiple changes -- or not?

jo...@jazzmedia.com.au

Jan 18, 2016, 7:25:13 PM1/18/16
to Blue Static Support
Hi,

Maybe 6 months ago I downloaded and (I believe) enhanced the functionality of MacGDBp. This includes some structural changes, and I'm not sure how easy it is to separate them into one 'diff' on the current source per fix or enhancement.

What is the best strategy for me to pursue to incorporate these changes, particularly for the more structural ones? I haven't contributed to an open-source project before. I've always worked alone.

I'd also be interested to know how long might it take for the changes to be accepted (or rejected)? I originally downloaded the source because there didn't seem to be much recent activity on this project, so took things into my own hands.

--------

FYI the changes I've made include:

- Fix: #323 Source code is reloaded for each debugging session to take onboard recent changes
- Variables display in red when the debugger recognises a value change
- Variable may be edited during debugging, by double-clicking the value (top stack frame only)
- Internally stack frames are reused rather than recreated, to assist UI bindings to work
- Inspector variable limit increased to 10000 chars (was 1028 chars).
- The selection scroll position of the variables viewer are retained across steps and frame-switching
- Minor display issues fixed (most apparent in Mavericks+)
- User can set source font and size via defaults mechanism (property keys: "source font name" and "source font size"). Intention to add a GUI preference for this.
- Removed array constraint of 32 children. Now loads dynamic length. (Bug #212?)
- Minor bug fixes

--------

I'll have to revisit the code, to be more specific about some of these items.

Thanks,
John

Robert Sesek

Jan 19, 2016, 8:44:01 PM1/19/16
to blues...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Thanks for your interest in the project! There hasn't been much in the past, so I have not set up formal contributing guidelines. I'd be happy to take fixes in patch format or as a git remote (if you want to use Github, that's fine). I try to keep to a one-commit-per-logical-change Git policy where possible.

The list of changes includes some great improvements, most of which I'd happily accept. One thing to note, though, is that I have been refactoring and rewriting some significant parts of the codebase. I apologize if the project looked stagnated; it is a little, but most of the development work was happening on the non-master branch. Hopefully there won't be too many conflicts, but the fix for #212 I believe is already in. The latest code is at https://src.bluestatic.org/?p=macgdbp.git;a=summary (the clone URL is listed on that page), but the repo is also mirrored to Github.

As for timing, I'll review and accept patches as you send them (my own time permitting). But it may be a little while before a binary release. I've marked the current master branch as 2.0 Beta given all the changes, so I'd like to do a couple of beta releases before providing a new stable release. I just haven't had time to do that this year.

Best,
Robert

John Cook

Jan 19, 2016, 10:31:40 PM1/19/16
to blues...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I'm glad to here the project isn't stationary.

I have a bit of work to do then, firstly to come up to speed with the 'patch' or GIT, and then to break out the individual patches and reimplement them against the latest code. I kind of expected this, but it will take me a few days or even weeks to do so. I'm happy to go the mile.

Timing isn't an issue, now that I know there's movement. I was concerned about waiting for one patch to be accepted, before I could submit another which depended upon it (if that becomes the case). I don't mind when the binary release might be. I already have the patches which matter to me :-).

And I neglected to say many thanks for MacGDBp in the first place.

I will be in touch when I have a first (probably trivial) patch.

Kind regards,
John

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Blue Static Support" group.