Bluepill + resque, again

spidaman

Jun 10, 2011, 1:37:37 PM6/10/11
to Bluepill
Looks like there was a thread about this a few months ago but no
response to the question of how to run resque under bluepill such that
workers can be reliably stopped. My setup varies a bit from others in
that I'm not using resque in conjunction with rails but other than
that, there's nothing fancy going on there. Here's a pill file that
I'm generating out of chef https://gist.github.com/1019302
... any fully worked examples of a pill file to run resque workers
that can reliably stop them?

Akzhan Abdulin

Jun 10, 2011, 2:00:45 PM6/10/11
to bluep...@googlegroups.com
I have no resque so cannot help. But I always review pull requests.

Blake Watters

Jun 10, 2011, 2:17:35 PM6/10/11
to bluep...@googlegroups.com
I would strongly suggest that you take a look at the Resque-Pool gem. It's a very simple, reliable way to manage a pool of Resque workers and works with Ruby Enterprise CoW. Here's my recipe:

# Resque Pool
  app.process "resque-pool" do |process|
    process.pid_file = pid_path("resque-pool")
    process.start_command = "resque-pool -E #{rails_env} -c config/resque-pool/staging.yml -o log/resque-pool.log -e log/resque-pool.log"
    process.stop_command = "kill -TERM {{PID}}"
    process.daemonize = true
    process.start_grace_time = 30.seconds
    process.restart_grace_time = 45.seconds
  end
Blake Watters
Two Toasters | CTO

spidaman

Jun 10, 2011, 5:03:58 PM6/10/11
to Bluepill
I'll check it out again, when I looked at it initially it seemed rails
and monit.d oriented (I'm not using either) but growing the worker
pool in a memory conservative way is certainly compelling. Thanks!