December Meeting

Patrick Sundberg

Dec 10, 2007, 1:03:38 PM12/10/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Don't forget!  Our December meeting will be held this week, Thursday, at the Eclectic Cafe.

We'll get the meeting going at 7:00, but feel free to stop by earlier for a pint or a bite to eat.

I'll try to keep the official club buisness to a minimum, but I'd like to brainstorm some ideas for club activities for 2008.

Bring your ideas and homebrews.

Keep Brewing!
Patrick

Jesse Grant

Dec 10, 2007, 3:39:42 PM12/10/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com

Pat,

Again, sorry to have to miss the meeting.  I will be going to the citites this weekend and will be trying to convince my wife to make 2 stops for beer.  The first one being at a liquor store to buy some Avery the 2nd at Midwest or Northern.  If anybody wants something, send me an e-mail and if I stop I will pick up your order.  Also, Pat, I remembred to take a hydrometer reading on my last brew and not sure what to do with both the readings.  How do I do the math to find out the ABV and alchohol content?

Grant

Patrick Sundberg

Dec 10, 2007, 10:19:25 PM12/10/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
If you see any, I'd like something from Dogfish Head.  Don't care what, just a six pack of something.

Here's a great set of calculators for brewing  http://www.beertribe.com/gizmos/calcs/
You can use that to evaluate the ABV.

Also, in other news, there's a new homebrew shop in St. Cloud as mentioned in the Cloudy Town Brewer's monthly newsletter.  And, remember, I work in Sauk Rapids and could easily be encouraged to check it out.  For more info check out http://www.cloudytownbrewers.org/clarifier/2007/clarifier1207.pdf

Jesse Grant

Dec 11, 2007, 6:45:04 AM12/11/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
I checked and the closest they come is chicago if memory servers me. I was hoping as well

On Dec 10, 2007 2:39 PM, Jesse Grant <jes...@jimselectric.com> wrote:

> Pat,
>
> Again, sorry to have to miss the meeting. I will be going to the citites
> this weekend and will be trying to convince my wife to make 2 stops for
> beer. The first one being at a liquor store to buy some Avery the 2nd at
> Midwest or Northern. If anybody wants something, send me an e-mail and if I
> stop I will pick up your order. Also, Pat, I remembred to take a hydrometer
> reading on my last brew and not sure what to do with both the readings. How
> do I do the math to find out the ABV and alchohol content?
>

> Grant
>

> ------------------------------

Walt Pittack

Dec 11, 2007, 8:33:17 AM12/11/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
If you guys are looking Dogfish Head Keyport Liquor in Superior, WI
carries some of their brews. They are kind of strung out all thru the
store so you have to look around or ask. They do have the 120 minute IPA
($8.99 a bottle). They also have the FORT (750ml bottle for $15.99). On
occasion they have the Midas Touch. They carry most of the year round
beers. The single high end beers are right at the cash register.

Walt

andylarson

Dec 11, 2007, 1:14:37 PM12/11/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com

Bummer!

I had high hopes of actually attending but my handler just called and I am heading to NY at 7 AM tomorrow.

Have one for me.

Andy

Dec 11, 2007, 7:10:24 PM12/11/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Andy,

Comments on mill to buy, need to get it on my Christmas
list for my wife to gift to me. Seems to be the Midwest
one they show.

mjha...@brainerd.net

You are going to miss the Marc Kolsch at the meeting, and
I still have not brought you samples or a six pack. So
sad....

May end up leaving then at the police station for your
wife or Betsy at the office.

I will be doing some capped bottles of my second kolsch
all grain in about two weeks, will bring you some of
those.

Most of beer goes into the roll tops and I don't loan
those out at all cause home brew guys KEEP them. Am
starting to cap more cause Jesse had a deal on them.

I also have in 22 oz. bottles, my first all grain oatmeal
stout which I will also have for you. All this passing of
beer bottles should happen about Christmas past cause I
get a life back then.

Later, Marc

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:14:37 -0600
"andylarson" <andyl...@charter.net> wrote:
> Bummer!
>

> I had high hopes of actually attending but my handler
>just called and I am
> heading to NY at 7 AM tomorrow.
>

> Have one for me.
>

> Andy
>

> _____

Patrick Sundberg

Dec 11, 2007, 9:52:06 PM12/11/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Marc's mention of "passing of bottles" gives me a possible idea for a brew exchange.  How about bringing bottles to the meetings to swap?  We could mix them up and draw for bottles.  Might be a fun way to exchange brews.  All bottles would be the 12oz capped ones so everyone's bottle inventory stays the same.

I know I don't need, or often times want, to drink 5 gallons of one batch.  This would be a good way to explore more beers without having to brew more.

Wobegonian

Dec 13, 2007, 10:42:14 AM12/13/07
to Blue Ox Brewers Society
I had planned on attending this meeting but have been informed by the
wife that her work is having it's Xmas party tonight so I have to go
to that instead. And I will miss the Football game on TV!. Damn.

Reg

On Dec 11, 8:52 pm, "Patrick Sundberg" <patrick.sundb...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Marc's mention of "passing of bottles" gives me a possible idea for a brew
> exchange. How about bringing bottles to the meetings to swap? We could mix
> them up and draw for bottles. Might be a fun way to exchange brews. All
> bottles would be the 12oz capped ones so everyone's bottle inventory stays
> the same.
>
> I know I don't need, or often times want, to drink 5 gallons of one batch.
> This would be a good way to explore more beers without having to brew more.
>
> On 12/11/07, Halverson, Marc <mjhal...@brainerd.net> wrote:
>

> > Andy,
>
> > Comments on mill to buy, need to get it on my Christmas
> > list for my wife to gift to me. Seems to be the Midwest
> > one they show.
>
> > mjhal...@brainerd.net
> > > Patrick- Hide quoted text -

Patrick Sundberg

Dec 13, 2007, 10:47:24 AM12/13/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
That's a bummer because I have a sample of the Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter that I'm bringing to the meeting.  I mixed in the Vanilla-infused bourbon last night.  It's still a bit green, but it tastes FANTASTIC!

I'll have to give you a few of my bottles.

JESSE HOPKINS

Dec 13, 2007, 11:02:18 AM12/13/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com

Reg - I'd like to take a gander at your amarillo whole hops.  Thinking of incorporating those in my next batch.  Would consider a purchase of 1/2 pound.  What are you asking?

Pat - Let's connect.  I need to pick-up my kegs and a floating thermometer I left at your garage.  Maybe keg the BVIP sans bourbon and vanilla while I'm there.  Any free time this weekend?

Joel - check's in the mail.  Maybe you've rec'd it already.

Jesse - We tranfered Jesse's beer and Jesse's beer is looking pretty drinkable.  Looking forward to enjoying a mug of Jesse's beer.  Yeah Jesse, he's a good friend of mine.  Now he's got a little beer and I wanna make it mine.

Not sure I can make the meeting tonight.  I have a holiday get together after work.  Looking forward to the next meeting/batch!  Thanks again for a good time,

Patrick Sundberg

Dec 13, 2007, 11:08:55 AM12/13/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com

Pat - Let's connect.  I need to pick-up my kegs and a floating thermometer I left at your garage.  Maybe keg the BVIP sans bourbon and vanilla while I'm there.  Any free time this weekend?

Yeah, I'm heading out ice fishing this weekend, but don't know exactly when yet.  Give me a call and we'll work something out.  I have the kegs, faucet, and thermometer in my car just in case you were at the meeting tonight.

Jesse - We tranfered Jesse's beer and Jesse's beer is looking pretty drinkable.  Looking forward to enjoying a mug of Jesse's beer.  Yeah Jesse, he's a good friend of mine.  Now he's got a little beer and I wanna make it mine.

Seriously...  That's got to stop...  I'm just to easily confused...  I know a guy named Hopkins and a guy named Grant, but don't know anyone named Jesse...

JESSE HOPKINS

Dec 13, 2007, 11:16:05 AM12/13/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Pat - Any idea how late you'll be at the meeting?  I'll try to make it over.

             Jesse Hopkins, AIA
               Project Architect

                 NOR-SON, Inc.
7900 Hastings Road,  Baxter, MN  56425
     218.822.2014 (o)  218.825.0253 (f)
                 218.851.6766 (c)

       jesse.hopkins@nor-son.com
                www.nor-son.com

Dec 13, 2007, 5:54:45 PM12/13/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Somethings have come up, I will not be attending. See you all soon.
Dan
BlackBerry service provided by Nextel

On Dec 13, 2007 10:16 AM, JESSE HOPKINS <JESSE....@nor-son.com <mailto:JESSE....@nor-son.com> > wrote:

Pat - Any idea how late you'll be at the meeting?  I'll try to make it over.

             Jesse Hopkins, AIA
               Project Architect
                 NOR-SON, Inc.
7900 Hastings Road,  Baxter, MN  56425
     218.822.2014 (o)  218.825.0253 (f)
                 218.851.6766 (c)

       jesse.hopkins <mailto:h...@nor-son.com> @nor-son.com
                www.nor-son.com <http://www.nor-son.com/>

----------------

Joel Carlson

Dec 13, 2007, 8:51:41 PM12/13/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com

Patrick -

I didn't really keep track of the who/what/whens of the infusion plan.

Did you use all of the vanilla beans to infuse a bulk amount of bourbon?  That said, is there enough of the infused bourbon for all/myself to purchase?

Or, are there 2 vanilla beans hangin' around that I could pick up & use on my own.

I transferred to 2ndary on wed.  It's well on the way to quaffability.

In other news...I have received payment from Marc, Grant & Dan, and Hopkins says its in the mail.  Thanks guys!!

Joel

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:47:24 -0600
From: patrick....@gmail.com

To: blueox...@googlegroups.com

Jesse Grant

Dec 13, 2007, 11:07:44 PM12/13/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Typical geneeral holding up payment! Since you are also a general contractor I will let you know this is what is commonly known as retainage.

Grant

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:47:24 -0600From: patrick....@gmail.comTo: blueox...@googlegroups.comSubject: Re: December Meeting

On Dec 13, 2007 9:42 AM, Wobegonian <Reg.N...@gmail.com> wrote:

I had planned on attending this meeting but have been informed by thewife that her work is having it's Xmas party tonight so I have to go to that instead. And I will miss the Football game on TV!. Damn.RegOn Dec 11, 8:52 pm, "Patrick Sundberg" <patrick.sundb...@gmail.com >wrote:

> Marc's mention of "passing of bottles" gives me a possible idea for a brew> exchange. How about bringing bottles to the meetings to swap? We could mix> them up and draw for bottles. Might be a fun way to exchange brews. All > bottles would be the 12oz capped ones so everyone's bottle inventory stays> the same.>> I know I don't need, or often times want, to drink 5 gallons of one batch.> This would be a good way to explore more beers without having to brew more. >
> On 12/11/07, Halverson, Marc <mjhal...@brainerd.net> wrote:>>>>>> > Andy,>> > Comments on mill to buy, need to get it on my Christmas > > list for my wife to gift to me. Seems to be the Midwest> > one they show.>> > mjhal...@brainerd.net
>> > You are going to miss the Marc Kolsch at the meeting, and> > I still have not brought you samples or a six pack. So> > sad....>> > May end up leaving then at the police station for your > > wife or Betsy at the office.>> > I will be doing some capped bottles of my second kolsch> > all grain in about two weeks, will bring you some of> > those.>> > Most of beer goes into the roll tops and I don't loan > > those out at all cause home brew guys KEEP them. Am> > starting to cap more cause Jesse had a deal on them.>> > I also have in 22 oz. bottles, my first all grain oatmeal> > stout which I will also have for you. All this passing of > > beer bottles should happen about Christmas past cause I> > get a life back then.>> > Later, Marc>> > On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:14:37 -0600

> > "andylarson" <andylar...@charter.net> wrote:> > > Bummer!>> > > I had high hopes of actually attending but my handler > > >just called and I am> > > heading to NY at 7 AM tomorrow.>> > > Have one for me.>> > > Andy>> > > _____>> > >From: blueox...@googlegroups.com> > >[mailto:blueox...@googlegroups.com]> > > On Behalf Of Patrick Sundberg > > > Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 12:04 PM> > > To: blueox...@googlegroups.com> > > Subject: December Meeting>> > > Don't forget! Our December meeting will be held this > > >week, Thursday, at the> > > Eclectic Cafe.>> > > We'll get the meeting going at 7:00, but feel free to> > >stop by earlier for a> > > pint or a bite to eat. >> > > I'll try to keep the official club buisness to a> > >minimum, but I'd like to> > > brainstorm some ideas for club activities for 2008.>> > > Bring your ideas and homebrews. >> > > Keep Brewing!>> > > Patrick- Hide quoted text ->> - Show quoted text -

The best games are on Xbox 360. Click here for a special offer on an Xbox 360 Console.

Patrick Sundberg

Dec 14, 2007, 9:49:45 AM12/14/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
I've got plenty of vanilla-infused burbon.  I had it in there for 3 days.  In my opinion, not enough vanilla.  Did a series of titration testing to determine what I though was a good amount to add to the full batch.  It was a gruling experiement, but I came up with 70mL per my 4.3 gallons.  This is only about 2 oz when I was planning on putting 8 oz per batch.  We have plenty of infused bourbon to go around.  I'm planning on putting any extra bourbon into bottles and cap them for future use.  I'll get a bottle to you to add to your batch.  Cost was included in the big brew day.

dan.st...@cygnetmina.com

Dec 14, 2007, 10:49:37 AM12/14/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
I have not added any yet but also have about 10oz of infused liquour. I have not Truly tested yet but I am thinking more vanilla also.

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:47:24 -0600

From: patrick....@gmail.com <mailto:patrick....@gmail.com>
To: blueox...@googlegroups.com

<mailto:patrick.sundb...@gmail.com> >

wrote:

> Marc's mention of "passing of bottles" gives me a possible idea for a brew
> exchange.  How about bringing bottles to the meetings to swap?  We could mix
> them up and draw for bottles.  Might be a fun way to exchange brews.  All
> bottles would be the 12oz capped ones so everyone's bottle inventory stays
> the same.
>
> I know I don't need, or often times want, to drink 5 gallons of one batch.
> This would be a good way to explore more beers without having to brew more.
>

> On 12/11/07, Halverson, Marc <mjhal...@brainerd.net <mailto:mjhal...@brainerd.net> > wrote:
>

> > Andy,
>
> > Comments on mill to buy, need to get it on my Christmas
> > list for my wife to gift to me. Seems to be the Midwest
> > one they show.
>

> > mjhal...@brainerd.net <mailto:mjhal...@brainerd.net>

> > You are going to miss the Marc Kolsch at the meeting, and
> > I still have not brought you samples or a six pack.  So
> > sad....
>
> > May end up leaving then at the police station for your
> > wife or Betsy at the office.
>
> > I will be doing some capped bottles of my second kolsch
> > all grain in about two weeks, will bring you some of
> > those.
>
> > Most of beer goes into the roll tops and I don't loan
> > those out at all cause home brew guys KEEP them.  Am
> > starting to cap more cause Jesse had a deal on them.
>
> > I also have in 22 oz. bottles, my first all grain oatmeal
> > stout which I will also have for you.  All this passing of
> > beer bottles should happen about Christmas past cause I
> > get a life back then.
>
> > Later, Marc
>
> > On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:14:37 -0600

Wobegonian

Dec 17, 2007, 8:51:05 PM12/17/07
to Blue Ox Brewers Society
I will take them gladly. I am on a new computer as mine took a dump.
Hope to have mine back in a few days.

Reg

On Dec 13, 9:47 am, "Patrick Sundberg" <patrick.sundb...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> That's a bummer because I have a sample of the Bourbon Vanilla Imperial
> Porter that I'm bringing to the meeting. I mixed in the Vanilla-infused
> bourbon last night. It's still a bit green, but it tastes FANTASTIC!
>
> I'll have to give you a few of my bottles.

Wobegonian

Dec 17, 2007, 8:53:47 PM12/17/07
to Blue Ox Brewers Society
I am available anytime for you to check them out. they are in the
freezer!! I think I paid $10 per lb so 5$ per 1/2 lbs??? Sounds good
to me. Or rather, make me an offer on some of your home made beer I
can't refuse!!!! Call me at 218 829-4095 Home phone.

Reg

On Dec 13, 10:02 am, "JESSE HOPKINS" <JESSE.HOPK...@nor-son.com>

Marc Halverson

Dec 17, 2007, 10:48:17 PM12/17/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
I am looking for a new recipe to do an all grain but will have to wait until
Feb 1.

Any ideas members.

The Kolsch I have done have been to my liking, my wife even said well done
and she likes the Coopers crap from Australia.

The oatmeal stout gives me a rich dark brew when I need that, the rich dark
foam puts a smile on my face.

Something on the Kolsch line or ??

Past your thoughts for something traditional and fun. Some of the IPAs are
bitter to me.

Marc

Patrick Sundberg

Dec 17, 2007, 10:59:17 PM12/17/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
How about a Nut Brown or an Irish Red?  Those are two of my favorites that I haven't brewed in a while.

I've looked through the descriptions NorthernBrewer has on their ingredient kits for inspiration many times.
http://northernbrewer.com/beer-kits.html
If something sounds good from the description, go for it!  My next batch is their Lefse Blonde, or at least a very close copy of that recipie.

Marc Halverson

Dec 17, 2007, 11:43:12 PM12/17/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com

Irish Red works for me, will it be like Killian Red?

Marc Halverson

mjha...@brainerd.net  This is new as of 3.14.07

Patrick Sundberg

Dec 18, 2007, 7:10:33 AM12/18/07
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, it's similar to Killians.

I'll see what I have on hand and hook you up with a kit.