SPBGMA Associations and Events Constituency Meeting?

austinmscelzo

Nov 20, 2023, 10:53:23 AM11/20/23
to Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
Would anyone like to attend a bluegrass associations / event production meeting at the SPBGMA Conference in Nashville?

Dave Nesbit attempted to put one together last year. The two of us are willing to host.
I'll be attending the whole weekend with the Rock Hearts.

Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 10.51.27 AM.png

PAUL SCHIMINGER

Nov 20, 2023, 2:21:43 PM11/20/23
to austinmscelzo, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
Hi Austin,

I should be available and would gladly participate if a meeting is organized.

Thanks!

Paul Schiminger

Lucy c Weberling

Nov 20, 2023, 2:24:26 PM11/20/23
to austinmscelzo, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
I would love to attend an event producers or association meeting t SPBGMA this year ( 2024). Keep us posted.
Lucy Weberling
MBOTMA board of directors
Festival Yoga

On Nov 20, 2023, at 9:53 AM, austinmscelzo <austin...@gmail.com> wrote:

Would anyone like to attend a bluegrass associations / event production meeting at the SPBGMA Conference in Nashville?

Dave Nesbit attempted to put one together last year. The two of us are willing to host.
I'll be attending the whole weekend with the Rock Hearts.

Ernie and Debi Evans

Nov 20, 2023, 5:59:41 PM11/20/23
to PAUL SCHIMINGER, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production, austinmscelzo
sounds like something I would be interested in. Please let me know if the developments

Ernie Evans

austinmscelzo

Dec 4, 2023, 1:56:13 PM12/4/23
to Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
Confirmed meeting at SPBGMA for promoters,

Hi all- I reached out to Stephanie at SPBGMA and she's confirmed that there will be a meeting at 10 AM on Sunday for promoters.
Stephanie mentioned that they have a reserved room and that it is in the program.

SPBGMA Promoters meeting
10 AM Sunday, Jan 28
Sheraton Music City Hotel (Room # TBA)

A friend of mine mentioned difficulty finding the room assignment on site last year, I'll check in on Friday with the front desk to try and confirm if it's not made obvious in the program. If anyone is looking for it last minute, feel free to call me. (203) 815-9722

I'm thinking round table discussion, best practices and challenges.

I could potentially record the session if folks would be interested who can't attend and if those at the meeting agree to it.
 I personally think it could be helpful.

-Austin Scelzo

PAUL SCHIMINGER

Dec 4, 2023, 2:20:54 PM12/4/23
to austinmscelzo, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
Great work, Austin.  Thanks.

Paul

Ernie and Debi Evans

Dec 4, 2023, 2:31:52 PM12/4/23
to PAUL SCHIMINGER, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production, austinmscelzo
Sounds good I would like to know more about the topics we would be discussing and it would behoove all of us to prepare questions that would be helpful to the group.

Not sure that there is time, but it would be good to form some sub committees to address specific issues such as,

Liability insurance. I can’t tell you how many calls I get from promoters on this topic alone.

Digital marketing, meta-specifically

The evolution of Bluegrass music and what is trending upward and what is declining

Today’s balance of print media and terrestrial radio versus digital marketing. We are still finding ourselves doing both, but it is shifting.

Customer, database and newsletter, builders, user-friendly to promoters. There are several out there that provide back office services beyond spreadsheets and newsletters.

Electronic, will call systems versus physical, ticketing for admission, camping, reserve seating.

These are a few, I think would be very helpful to the group, but too much to put on one person.

For most, this is the world we live in, but there are always better ways due to the advancement of technology alone.

Thanks, Ernie Evans

Ernie and Debi Evans

Dec 4, 2023, 2:32:53 PM12/4/23
to PAUL SCHIMINGER, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production, austinmscelzo
Add one more topic. Cultivating new customers to Bluegrass. Specifically ticket buyers not musicians, lol

Shanna Connor

Dec 5, 2023, 7:47:25 AM12/5/23
to Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
Hi Austin,
Recording the session would be fantastic for those of us that can't make it. Thank you!
Shanna
Podunk Bluegrass

Ernie and Debi Evans

Jan 22, 2024, 10:56:42 AMJan 22
to PAUL SCHIMINGER, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production, austinmscelzo
Hey all, is there an RSVP list of who all will be participating in person? Also, I'd like to review the format this week if possible. I know it will be a busy time. I just want to be prepared and make time as constructive as I can on my end.

Do we need and visuals? (slides, photos, graphs etc... )

Thanks,
Ernie

--
Evans Media Source
386-385-3500 office

Awards:

2017 - IBMA Industry Achievement Award
2015 - Bold City Best Award - Town of Orange Park Kids Fest
2016 - Bold City Best Award - Town of Orange Park Kids Fest
2017 - Bold City Best Award - Town of Orange Park Kids Fest
2019 -  Southeast Tourism Society’s Top 20 Events
2022 - Best Festivals in North Carolina -
Blue Ridge Mountains Travel Guide

President Emeritus NFBA
501 (c) 3
North Florida Bluegrass Association
www.northfloridabluegrass.org

On Air Radio Personalities
WFCF 88.5FM St. Augustine, FL

ABOUT EVANS MEDIA SOURCE, LLC
Evans Media Source based out of Florida is a vertically integrated full service music event production company, family owned and operated, servicing the southeastern US & Caribbean, specializing in bluegrass, classic country and community/family oriented events for over 20 years.

PRODUCERS OF THE FOLLOWING EVENTS,
PRODUCTIONS,  CRUISES and CONCERTS

 - Florida Classic Festival in Brooksville, FL
-  Palatka Spring Bluegrass Festival Palatka, FL
-  Cherokee Bluegrass Festival Cherokee, NC
-  South Daytona Bluegrass Festival, Daytona, FL
-  North Carolina State Bluegrass Festival Marion, NC
-  The McDowell Country Country Music Roundup Marion, NC
-  Jekyll Island New Years Festival Jekyll Island, GA
 -  Sertoma Spring Bluegrass Festival in Brooksville, FL
-  Thanksgiving Bluegrass Festival Brooksville, FL
-
  Cherokee Bluegrass & Classic Country Music Festival Cherokee, NC
-  Palatka Fall Bluegrass Festival Palatka, FL
 - Yeehaw Music Festival in Okeechobee, FL
 - Orange Park Fall Music Festival Orange Park, FL
 - Orange Park Kids Fest Orange Park, FL
 - Clay County Veterans Appreciation Day Green Cove Springs, FL
 - Classic Country Luxury Cruises - Bahamas, Western Caribbean
 - Bluegrass Music  Luxury Cruises -  Western Caribbean
 - Jewel Box Concerts Gainesville, FL
 - Sounds of the South Summer Concerts Fleming Island, FL
 - Brooksville Native American Festival Brooksville, FL
-  Monteverde Days - Town of Monteverde, FL

RICH

Jan 22, 2024, 12:14:08 PMJan 22
to PAUL SCHIMINGER, Ernie and Debi Evans, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production, austinmscelzo

Kyle Ochs

Jan 24, 2024, 6:48:53 AMJan 24
to Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
Yes, I doubt I can make it down to Nashville this weekend but even if someone could create a Zoom meeting and turned their laptop on for the 10am meeting, perhaps some of us could listen and learn!

Gratefully,

Kyle Ochs
Sustain Festival

Lucy c Weberling

Jan 24, 2024, 9:36:12 AMJan 24
to Kyle Ochs, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
Yes, Austin- please record the session for those of us unable to come. Thank you
      Lucy Weberling
Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 24, 2024, at 5:49 AM, Kyle Ochs <kyle...@sustainfestivals.org> wrote:

Yes, I doubt I can make it down to Nashville this weekend but even if someone could create a Zoom meeting and turned their laptop on for the 10am meeting, perhaps some of us could listen and learn!

RICH

Jan 25, 2024, 4:57:25 PMJan 25
to Kyle Ochs, Lucy c Weberling, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
Zoom would be nice if possible

Pete Ludé

Jan 25, 2024, 5:24:30 PMJan 25
to RICH, Kyle Ochs, Lucy c Weberling, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
Yes -- I'd join in by Zoom if the option is still available.

Sorry I can't be there to join you in person!

Pete Lude'
Executive Director
California Bluegrass Association
Pete...@CaliforniaBluegrass.net

____________________________

California Bluegrass Association
Preserving and growing bluegrass, old-time, and gospel music in California since 1974.

Anna Kline

Jan 25, 2024, 7:38:18 PMJan 25
to Pete Ludé, RICH, Kyle Ochs, Lucy c Weberling, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
Same here. I'm not able to get to Nashville, but I'm interested in joining via Zoom.

All the best—

Anna

IBMA World of Bluegrass® SEPT 24-28, 2024
Anna Kline || Business Development Director
(O)  615-673-4812

The IBMA is a non-profit music association that connects, educates, and empowers bluegrass professionals and enthusiasts, honoring tradition and encouraging innovation in the bluegrass community worldwide.

Jan 26, 2024, 1:54:46 PMJan 26
to Pete Ludé, Anna Kline, Kyle Ochs, Lucy c Weberling, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
It is coming up on Sunday. Any word if it will be on Zoom or not?

Lucy c Weberling

Jan 26, 2024, 2:08:40 PMJan 26
to RICH, Pete Ludé, Anna Kline, Kyle Ochs, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
I hope it’s on zoom.

Sent from my iPhone

Austin Scelzo

Jan 26, 2024, 3:54:30 PMJan 26
to Lucy c Weberling, RICH, Pete Ludé, Anna Kline, Kyle Ochs, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
Hi All,

Confirming the following:

The meeting is on for TWO RIVERS ROOM at 10 am on Sunday morning at the Nashville Sheraton music city hotel.

Proposed topics are here: (Feel free to add or comment)

-I am recording the session

-I can run a zoom sesson although I did not originally intend to. I'm not set up with a microphone for both recording and running zoom. There is no guarantee of audio quality for the zoom.

Here is a link:

-Austin

Dave Gooding

Jan 26, 2024, 5:49:43 PMJan 26
to Austin Scelzo, Anna Kline, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production, Kyle Ochs, Lucy c Weberling, Pete Ludé, RICH

RICH

Jan 28, 2024, 10:01:30 AMJan 28
to Austin Scelzo, Dave Gooding, Anna Kline, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production, Kyle Ochs, Lucy c Weberling, Pete Ludé

Austin Scelzo

Jan 28, 2024, 1:36:08 PMJan 28
to Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
Thanks for attending this session!

My hope is that SPBGMA gradually becomes a more attractive place for promoters and associations to feel that they can benefit from attending from both the sunday morning roundtable but also through the official and un-official late night showcases.

For those of you who could not attend, I've recorded 2 hour the session:

I've also taken notes that are evolving in this document- Please feel free to continue to add to the dialogue- everyone has been given editing privileges:

Please share this link to others who you would like involved in this forum discussion:
http://ctbluegrass.com/bluegrass-associations-and-event-promoters-forum/ (Unfortunately, I have not yet seen this link put up on the IBMA Website, so I've taken the liberty to host it on the CT Bluegrass Association Page. My general feeling is that it needs to be EASY for folks to communicate here, and I'd rather not have to do it through social media...

I'll also copy the current notes here for ease of access:

Proposed Topics:

Cultivating new customers to Bluegrass. Specifically ticket buyers

  • Leadership Bluegrass class of 2023 created a round table discussion, in blog and audio format about this topic: Attracting New Audiences to Bluegrass Music - Leadership Bluegrass 2023 Panel

  • Volunteer tickets for young folks who offer to run social media for x number of posts or months

    • CBA has had an experience not getting enough traction with young volunteer social media managers.  We're now using a professional digital marketing firm, with a goal of 3X return on investment

    • It was suggested to Give the internship a title ie: “Artist Relations”, “Social Media Intern”

  • CBA has had two approaches: (a) bringing younger acts (like Molly Tuttle last year) that will attract non-trad audiences and (2) focused social media (Meta) campaign to spread the word to bluegrass-adjacent audiences.

  • “New customers are young customers” -New ticket buyers are young people who can afford tickets

  • “YAM” program - successful Young Appalachian Musicians also “JAM”

  • Improve awareness of history

The evolution of Bluegrass music and what is trending vs. declining

  • Ticketed show sales - Lower in all areas of the industry

  • Disposable income during post pandemic improved sales, now they have returned to pre-pandemic sales

  • Ticketed shows down 50%

  • $5 college student tix?

  • Hosting jams, eventually young folks show up, then they learn about festivals

  • Growing a reputation as a picking festival increases draw

  • Colorado bands tend to draw young audiences - borderline between traditional and progressive

  • An attraction at a festival is to see big names hanging out at the festival jamming late at night

  • “Pickin’ with the pros” - late night after show band plays with fans extremely effective

Digital marketing, meta-specifically

  • “Meta is parent company of Facebook and Instagram and Whatsap”

  • Organic posting, more shares the better

  • Promoted advertising different than a boosted post

  • Tied into ticketing system to track success

  • Goal is 3x Return on Investment

  • Reels, YouTube Shorts, and short form video great for new audiences

    • Best right now are visually attention grabbing, but informative through AUDIO - Ie beautiful backdrop + narration

  • Attention grabbing shorts

  • Anonymous robotic female voice AI

Liability insurance.

  • Events up to 500 covered in general liability policy, larger events need to be specifically called out

  • Alcohol sales make this more expensive.  Other event activities, such as trampolines, jumpy houses, water sports require special coveraege

  • For small events (house concert/ jams) sometimes volunteers will put up a sign or banner promoting California Bluegrass Assoc - even if we don’t know about the event.  This could lead attendees to believe CBA is responsible for the full event and has liability. Terms like “Supported by CBA” as opposed to “Sponsored by” may help differentiate.

  • Non-profit insurance alliance annual

Today’s balance of print media and terrestrial radio versus digital marketing. We are still finding ourselves doing both, but it is shifting.

  • Podunk Bluegrass Festival recommends Postcards instead of flyers -  $150 for 1,000

  • Terrestrial/internet radio - add elements of Social media integration. Record interviews, chat rooms/groups, post announcements to social media

  • Bluegrass Jamboree runs a facebook chat during their program- it’s as simple as posting a picture and asking for folks to participate live through comments during the program

  • “Earned media” - free

Electronic, will call systems versus physical, ticketing for admission, camping, reserve seating.

  • Comp for bands “guest list” being an editable google sheet that is shared between artist and artist relations

  • Tix

  • Band book, vendor book, guest book

Customer, database and newsletter, builders, user-friendly to promoters. There are several out there that provide back office services beyond spreadsheets and newsletters.

  • Re-purpose Newsletter e-blast

    • Screen record reading through your e-blast

    • YouTube is now a Social media platform, you can post pictures and text - It was suggested that promoters team up with related YouTube influencers to do some cross promotion. One easy example would be to provide the band/influencer identity with text and an image so that it is easy for them to quickly share and vice versa

    • “We use Passage Ticketing and we really have been pleased and we are looking at white listing the platform”

Carolyn Hotte

Jan 29, 2024, 1:36:44 PMJan 29
to Austin Scelzo, Bluegrass Associations and Event Production
Thank you Austin, this is much appreciated.

Carolyn Hotte
!BMA Association Rep.