Autoweek.com article

Ted Hedman

Aug 3, 2021, 11:58:53 AM8/3/21
to Bluebird510
We've been doing this fun rally for several years called the SoCal TT and Autoweek just posted an article about it on their website.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/g37137193/socal-tt-rally/

It was great fun again this year despite us hitting a baby deer. Broke a headlight (just the glass!), bent the bumper and LF fender. Could have been much worse!

IMG_20210727_163918.jpg

David Bliese

Aug 3, 2021, 12:33:44 PM8/3/21
to Ted Hedman, Bluebird510
And isn't that the fender you originally replaced?

Glad it wasn't worse.

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

Dan Heil

Aug 3, 2021, 12:38:56 PM8/3/21
to thedm...@gmail.com, Bluebird510
"We heard that a turn had tightened up on the Rambler and it was out in the first few miles. "

No... the driver overestimated the turn and went in too fast and wrecked the car.......

Drivers and writer blaming the road for a humans errors...

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

Dan
1987 Yamaha 250SRX
And  510 wagons!

Kelvin Dietz

Aug 3, 2021, 1:03:10 PM8/3/21
to Bluebird510
Bummer, man.  At least it was a small deer. Still sucks.

Deer take all the fun out of driving at night.  Years ago I was bombing
along on one of my favorite back roads when a doe showed up in the
middle of the turn.  I slammed on the brakes and I was sure I was going
to hit her.  Somehow I didn't. I'll bet she took the dust off the fender
with her butt.

Went back the next day and found four skid marks going at an angle to
the curve.  Not the direction of travel but the direction four locked
tires would take you.  I think that sliding sideways 5 ft was just about
the only way I was going to miss her.

I whipped by a huge buck standing on the side of the road that scared me
almost as much.  Brrrr....

Kelvin

Kelvin Dietz

Aug 3, 2021, 1:04:58 PM8/3/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

"A perfect-looking Datsun 510 prepares to do battle on the SoCal TT"

Hell yeah.  That is how you 510.

socal tt

David Bliese

Aug 3, 2021, 1:42:08 PM8/3/21
to Bluebird List
Ted made it in 4 of the pictures, with the yellow 510 in another.  Represent!

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

paolo

Aug 3, 2021, 6:32:16 PM8/3/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

David,

Made it is one thing.  Featured is altogether another...

Still - given the wide range and purported neutrality from the institution expected, he has two.  Nonetheless, it seems to outshine the other marques regarding specific brand and year.

Yet I am cognitively blinded by my Dime prejudice, a.k.a. marque blindness (expressed as none are as important to merit my attention).  There should be a word for that but I have yet to find it or invent it.

Paolo ———

paolo

Aug 3, 2021, 7:19:34 PM8/3/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

Ted,

Thanks again for sharing!

Regarding your 'Bambi' encounter, I feel for you man.

It happened to me on a return home trip about an hour or so north from Mt. Shasta around 2003 or 2004.  Dear crossing signs noted.  At about 70-mph I saw a mother and child dart across the road from left to right well ahead of me.  Another sibling stood frozen at left side of road.

The poor little thing.  It suddenly decided to follow mamma and leaped in pursuit just as I and other traffic approached.  Enough time for me to react but had to make choice.  1. Swerve - but too much traffic.  2. Brake hard and miss the dear but risk getting rear-ended by a semi following close behind me and cause follow-up issues.  3. Slow down just enough to avoid any issues.

I went for #3.  I partly succeeded.

I just caught Bambi's the rear flank at the right front corner and sent it spinning wildly to right side of road.  It managed to get to other bank off the road with front legs but I am sure it did not survive.  Difficult scene to experience.  Even tougher to glance at aftermath in rear view mirror.

Damage to car not unlike yours, though my front bumper was not as initially as pristine as yours nor got as damaged as yours.  I had no bumper-to-fender bolt installed so no buckling at lower right fender.  No broken glass.  Mostly the headlamp buckets and front bulkhead panel were bent out of shape.

Paolo ———

Ted Hedman

Ted Hedman

Aug 3, 2021, 9:45:15 PM8/3/21
to Bluebird510
We didn't go back to see how the deer faired. No one behind us saw a wounded deer on the side of the road. I doubt it survived, though. It left some DNA on the side marker. Sorry, Bambi.

On August 3, 2021, at 10:03 AM, Kelvin Dietz <kel...@datsuns.com> wrote:

Bummer, man.  At least it was a small deer. Still sucks.

Deer take all the fun out of driving at night.  Years ago I was bombing
along on one of my favorite back roads when a doe showed up in the
middle of the turn.  I slammed on the brakes and I was sure I was going
to hit her.  Somehow I didn't. I'll bet she took the dust off the fender
with her butt.

Went back the next day and found four skid marks going at an angle to
the curve.  Not the direction of travel but the direction four locked
tires would take you.  I think that sliding sideways 5 ft was just about
the only way I was going to miss her.

I whipped by a huge buck standing on the side of the road that scared me
almost as much.  Brrrr....

Kelvin

On 8/3/2021 8:58 AM, Ted Hedman wrote:
> We've been doing this fun rally for several years called the SoCal TT and Autoweek just posted an article about it on their website.
>
> https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/g37137193/socal-tt-rally/
>
> It was great fun again this year despite us hitting a baby deer. Broke a headlight (just the glass!), bent the bumper and LF fender. Could have been much worse!

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bluebird510/dcd0bd17-a541-e9db-20ce-ab5316e2e3a0%40datsuns.com.

IMG_20210727_165019.jpg

Ted Hedman

Aug 3, 2021, 9:53:28 PM8/3/21
to paolo@cedarcomm com, Bluebird510

Years ago there was a minor controversy when Car and Driver called the convertible Karman Ghia the modern equal to the Porsche Speedster. Ed got an earfull from Porsche owners. An accompanying article by a Speedster owner/staffer was titled "Confessions of a Marque Chauvinist Pig". Perhaps "Marque Chauvinist " is the term Paolo is looking for?

On August 3, 2021, at 3:32 PM, paolo <pa...@cedarcomm.com> wrote:

>David,
>
>Made it is one thing.  Featured is altogether another...
>
>Still - given the wide range and purported neutrality from the institution expected, he has two.  Nonetheless, it seems to outshine the other marques regarding specific brand and year.
>
>Yet I am cognitively blinded by my Dime prejudice, a.k.a. marque blindness (expressed as none are as important to merit my attention).  There should be a word for that but I have yet to find it or invent it.
>
>Paolo ———
>
>On 8/3/2021 10:41 AM, David Bliese wrote:
>
>Ted made it in 4 of the pictures, with the yellow 510 in another.  Represent!
>
>On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 1:04 PM Kelvin Dietz <kel...@datsuns.com> wrote:
>
>"A perfect-looking Datsun 510 prepares to do battle on the SoCal TT"
>
>Hell yeah.  That is how you 510.
>

>On 8/3/2021 8:58 AM, Ted Hedman wrote:
>
>We've been doing this fun rally for several years called the SoCal TT and Autoweek just posted an article about it on their website. https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/g37137193/socal-tt-rally/ It was great fun again this year despite us hitting a baby deer. Broke a headlight (just the glass!), bent the bumper and LF fender. Could have been much worse!
>
>--
>--
>NOTICE!!!!

>All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .
>---

>To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bluebird510/486db40f-454e-a932-a5ef-89b57dd1c45e%40cedarcomm.com.

Ted Hedman

Aug 5, 2021, 6:59:46 PM8/5/21
to 'Andy Klink' via Bluebird510

The young man riding shotgun in the blue/white Sprite with his Dad came up with an amusing nickname our 510s: “Ketchup and Mustard”.

https://i.imgur.com/llU04co.jpg

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ted Hedman

Aug 6, 2021, 3:39:16 PM8/6/21
to 'Andy Klink' via Bluebird510

FYI- There will be another SoCal TT over Columbus Day weekend Oct 10-11.  We need to get more 510s on the run, so hit me up if you’re interested.

-Ted

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Aug 6, 2021, 4:07:09 PM8/6/21
to thedman510, 'Andy Klink' via Bluebird510
Been there..., done the deer thing!

We live on 10 acres off of a farm to market road (rural two lane road) about 35 miles NE of Bryan/College Station, 75 miles NW of Austin. It truly is BFE. I try to pay close attention all the time, but especially at dusk and later.

About 10 years ago I was on my way to work around 7am and was on a section of road we call the roller coaster. Three big hills/dips over maybe 1/8 mile. As I came out of the first dip a full grown doe came up out of the right bar ditch and I hit her about mid body. Knocked her back into the ditch. $5k plus to fix our '05 Accord sedan. Ever since I've been very paranoid on the secondary roads anywhere, moreso at night.

Ted Hedman

Aug 6, 2021, 8:39:07 PM8/6/21
to Bluebird510

I wonder if those deer whistles you attach to your bumper actually work?

walt matenkosky

Aug 6, 2021, 10:00:21 PM8/6/21
to thedm...@gmail.com, Bluebird510
I've had an experience that leads me to believe they work. Drove THROUGH a herd with no contact at speed.

Aug 7, 2021, 1:57:20 AM8/7/21
to pa...@cedarcomm.com, blueb...@googlegroups.com
For $7, if they work once and I don't even know it....it is money well spent.

If they don't work, it's only $7....I've spent more on one good beer.

Ethan "yep, whistles on my dimes" in NC

Sent from my smartphone, please forgive typos.
NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

paolo

Aug 7, 2021, 10:12:50 AM8/7/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

The $7 units won't work.

If we do a thought experiment, think of blowing air across the top of that empty beer bottle.  At only specific breath velocities will you get a resonant frequency.  Octaves apart.  The deer whistle, while working with the same principle, would do the same, unless it was designed more like a harmonica.

It's not like deer don't here or see you coming.  Adding another noise will not change the fact that they don't understand the velocity of a moving car.  It's unnaturally fast.  When you get close enough, they either freeze or bolt.

Finishing the thought experiment, it does seem the more money one spends on such a device, the better in one's mind, it works, so the $7 unit probably does not work at all.  Beer's a better buy buddy.

Paolo ———

Ward Hill Press

Aug 7, 2021, 9:23:55 PM8/7/21
to thedm...@gmail.com, Bluebird510
Last I did research on deer whistles about 10 years ago I found mixed reviews. Whistles need to remain bug free to work. There are electronic ones, but then the deer needs to associate the noise with danger. If anyone here has had experience with electronic deer whistles I would like to hear it. 30 years ago I fitted my 510 with Hella 550 fogs. Didn't realize how many deer were on the side of the road on my ski trips to Vermont until I installed them.
Steve

At 08:38 PM 8/6/2021, Ted Hedman wrote:

I wonder if those deer whistles you attach to your bumper actually work?

On August 6, 2021, at 1:07 PM, Ronnie Day <ronni...@gmail.com> wrote:

Been there..., done the deer thing!Ā

We live on 10 acres off of a farm to market road (rural two lane road) about 35 miles NE of Bryan/College Station, 75 miles NW of Austin. It truly is BFE. I try to pay close attention all the time, but especially at dusk and later.

About 10 years ago I was on my way to work around 7am and was on a section of road we call the roller coaster. Three big hills/dips over maybe 1/8 mile. As I came out of the first dip a full grown doe came up out of the right bar ditch and I hit her about mid body. Knocked her back into the ditch. $5k plus to fix our '05 Accord sedan. Ever since I've been very paranoid on the secondary roads anywhere, moreso at night.

On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 2:39 PM Ted Hedman <thedm...@gmail.com> wrote:

FYI- There will be another SoCal TT over Columbus Day weekend Oct 10-11.Ā  We need to get more 510s on the run, so hit me up if youā€™re interested.

-Ted

Sent from Mail for Windows 10