Steering Wheel lock HELP!

Ward Hill Press

May 5, 2022, 4:44:29 PM5/5/22
to Bluebird List
My car has been sitting for too many years. I am ready to turn it
over and BOTH set of keys don't work.
Front wheels are off the ground, but I turned the steering in both
directions and held it there while trying to turn the key anyway.
Sprayed PB Blaster into the lock.
Tapped the pins with a dissecting kit needle.
Any ideas? Other than call a locksmith.
TIA
Steve

paolo

May 5, 2022, 5:23:06 PM5/5/22
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

Steve,

I've never had this situation (locking mechanism 'gunked' up) but I've gone through several cars with 'improper keys' and a need to refresh or replace the steering/ignition lock mechanism.  Usually when these type of locks wear, they get easier to turn and a surprising number of other Datsun keys will work them.

Even if you are sure one of the keys is correct, it wouldn't hurt to remove the lock assembly for cleaning/maintenance.  The electrical switch at back of lock is easy to remove and test but it should never be the cause to not turn - yet this is worth checking first.

Otherwise, assuming this is a pre-74 Datsun and if you are comfortable with this:

1. Remove all steering column shrouding.
2. Remove ignition key/lock mechanism. *
3. Disassemble to force lube into shaft and lock bits.
4. Tap lock shaft to free up and/or work key well into lock.

* For second item, you'll need a Dremel tool with a thin/sturdy cut-off disk to make slots on the anchor bolt heads which do not already have a Phillips head inset.  Then a straight-slot screw driver can be used to remove those bolts.

To quote Lou C - this is a 'one beer job' - but you will need the cut-off disk.  Highly valuable to to have in your tool kit.

Also, once removed, it's always much more cost effective to take the lock to the locksmith, than the other way around.

BTW, I've been advised by a trusted locksmith friend to avoid graphite, silicon, or other 'specialty lubes' and start with WD-40.  They say graphite is their friend as users tend to apply more than needed and when that does not work, they apply even more, thus making it worse to the point they that need the locksmith - who spends time flushing out all the graphite before being able to work the lock.  YMMV.

Paolo_____
Paolo (Paul) Musante, MS PE