What Long tail is this?

Ward Hill Press

Apr 17, 2022, 2:42:52 PM4/17/22
to blueb...@googlegroups.com
I was under my car today and the transmission looks different than
any other long tail Z transmission. This transmission is roughly 34
1/2"* from front to rear. Two Z transmissions I have are 31 1/2". In
addition the driveshaft fits into this transmission rather than over
the tail. I figure the length might be the giveaway.
*I'm eyeballing the tape measure, the tranny crossmember is in the way.
Steve
20220416_1417131.jpg

Ted Hedman

Apr 17, 2022, 5:17:44 PM4/17/22
to ward...@rcn.com, blueb...@googlegroups.com
Beats me. You got a KA, Lseries or franken Z2x in that car? It's not a 280ZX tranny, I know that much. ZX have only one ear on the tail section. Maybe it's a KA with L bellhousing? Just guessing. Wasn't there a tranny swap and ID guide article in DQ?

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

David Weitz

Apr 17, 2022, 5:34:49 PM4/17/22
to thedm...@gmail.com, ward...@rcn.com, blueb...@googlegroups.com
Steve,
Wasn’t this Lou’s old drivetrain? Why not ask him?

David

> On Apr 17, 2022, at 5:17 PM, Ted Hedman <thedm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Beats me. You got a KA, Lseries or franken Z2x in that car? It's not a 280ZX tranny, I know that much. ZX have only one ear on the tail section. Maybe it's a KA with L bellhousing? Just guessing. Wasn't there a tranny swap and ID guide article in DQ?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bluebird510/f6mbosv5875s6n6f99n9isov.1650230247336%40email.android.com.

jason datsuns.com

Apr 17, 2022, 6:12:32 PM4/17/22
to blueb...@googlegroups.com
Borg-Warner T5 that came on 280zx turbos apparently was longer.
Trying to compare the T5 pictures to yours, it does not look right to be a T5 but you might look closer to verify that.

Were L and NAPZ truck transmissions same length?

-Jgray

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---
NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

Ted Hedman

Apr 17, 2022, 6:59:30 PM4/17/22
to ja...@datsuns.com, blueb...@googlegroups.com

I know some 720s have short tails, but couldn't tell you which ones.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bluebird510/1325737307.10569.1650233548874%40webmail.networksolutionsemail.com.

Ted Hedman

Apr 17, 2022, 7:06:08 PM4/17/22
to ja...@datsuns.com, blueb...@googlegroups.com

Ward Hill Press

Apr 18, 2022, 12:27:16 AM4/18/22
to Ted Hedman, blueb...@googlegroups.com
Car has a LZ22, but this is the transmission that came with my car, it was not Lou's. 2 owners before me it was a turbo car with lots of boost and blown engines.
I was looking for the DQ index and couldn't find it. There was something in the first box that looked like an index or table of contents but it didn't expand for me.
Anyone have a good link for the DQ index?
I don't have another 510 to compare to, but isn't the transmission tunnel massaged a bit near the ears? Does that help?
I see Jason's response in Ted's post, it did not come in on my BB feed.
The tail looks different on mine, I'm going to look for the ribs. From the datsunzgarage link: "The T5 driveshaft is almost the same length as a 1975-1978 Zcar driveshaft, but the T5 transmission is a couple of inches longer."
Attached photo is the shifter lever, a friend confirms that the knob is from a ZX.
If there were any answers to this post other than Ted, Jason and David please LMK.
Steve

At 05:17 PM 4/17/2022, Ted Hedman wrote:
Beats me. You got a KA, Lseries or franken Z2x in that car? It's not  a 280ZX tranny, I know that much. ZX have only one ear on the tail section. Maybe it's a KA with L bellhousing? Just guessing. Wasn't there a tranny swap and ID guide article in DQ? On April 17, 2022, at 11:42 AM, Ward Hill Press <ward...@rcn.com> wrote: I was under my car today and the transmission looks different than
20220416_1332591.jpg

Ted Hedman

Apr 18, 2022, 12:52:49 AM4/18/22
to Ward Hill Press, blueb...@googlegroups.com

I sent a link to DQ 11.4 Tranny ID article. There must be a wreck on the internet somewhere.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Apr 18, 2022, 9:34:01 PM4/18/22
to Ted Hedman, blueb...@googlegroups.com
It looks like my car has a T5. While it doesn't have the ribs on the side like in the link Jason pointed to ( https://datsunzgarage.us/borg/) it does have the box on top in the shifter area. I also found pictures of my shifter and the round rubber boot on a Nissan T5. Don't know what the gear ratios are, that site shows they are different for the 280ZX turbo and the 300ZX turbo.
Ted, when I look at the bluebirds list on the web I see you posted that DQ link, thank you. My email client did not show the link but showed the rest of the message sent: Apr 17, 2022, 7:06:08 PM . I can also see Jason's post that never got to me.
A T5 makes sense, in a previous life my car had multiple L20B's running 20# of boost.
Steve

David Patten

Apr 19, 2022, 12:29:15 PM4/19/22
to Ward Hill Press, thedman510, 510 List
Steve,
It looks to be a type "C" shifter, Nissan gearbox. It is NOT a T-5

The BW T-5 has a bell housing, center case and tail housing. Yours has a front case, steel sandwich plate and tail shaft housing.

Spend some time searching around, likely it is a K24(D)E trans with an L Series front case installed.

The case swap is not a direct swap, the L lower front bearing is smaller and the shift rod(s) larger on the type C box. The L lower bearing needs to be swapped onto the C gearbox or the L case enlarged to fit the larger type C bearing OD. The L front case will also need the shift rod hole(s) opened up to fit the larger type C rod(s). Not sure of the number that need to be enlarged, I think it is only one rod, but I could be wrong.

All this info is out there someplace, all you need to do is put in the effort and do some solid research.

Dave Patten, Owner

FutoFab, LLC
199 Stark Hwy So
Dunbarton, NH 03046-4411