RE: [Bluebird510] What's new? --- Mikuni "Lean out" problem solved

nandjm...@bellsouth.net

Oct 14, 2021, 12:06:38 PM10/14/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

Since Paolo asked……

Many people running Mikuni 44PHH Carbs on track with sticky tires have experienced a lean out issue on right hand turns.  This is caused, in large part, by the grip of modern tires not being aligned with the G-force that the Mikuni’s were designed to handle.  The fuel in a near 1G right hand turn tends to end up out of the float bowl and onto the left strut tower.

The historical remedy to this problem has involved filling the bowl vent slot with JB weld and drilling a new vent location in the top of the carburetor cover.

As the value of Mikuni’s continues to go up I was determined to find a “no permanent change” solution to this problem.

Problem solved at last…….

A test at VIR a couple weekends ago has proven my fix.

There are 4 round holes in the gasket between the carburetor body and the top cover.  The holes provide a vent path from the bowls to the area in the top cover that leads to the vent exit hole on the face of the carb above the intake throat (the face where you mount an air filter or velocity stack).  I purchased an $8.00 bag of plastic plugs and corked the two vent holes closest to the strut tower.  The bowls still vent properly through the two remaining holes closest to the cylinder head.  The plugs are made from the plastic used to make gas cans and should be happy in the fuel environment.  The fuel can no longer slosh up and out of the bowl when turning right.  Problem solved, no more lean-out, faster corner exits are now possible.

Nathan “no carburetors were harmed in the making of this solution”

Oct 14, 2021, 12:16:34 PM10/14/21
to Nathan, Bluebirds Google Group
Nathan,
Can you post some pictures!
Good Info. Thanks

--
Dan
1987 Yamaha 250SRX

nandjm...@bellsouth.net

Oct 14, 2021, 12:24:14 PM10/14/21
to Dan Heil, Bluebirds Google Group

“Pictures or it didn’t happen”

See attached.

Mikuni Fix.jpg

Ted Hedman

Oct 14, 2021, 12:31:50 PM10/14/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like a nice fix. I epoxied mine, but never drilled any extra holes. Seemed to work. If you want to get rid of any surplus plugs from that 8$ bag, let us know.😊

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bluebird510/CAGRMRt%2BQTyMfMaf797_1tVFUJ7P24o%3D8wkhAdckBmy04U%2BvMig%40mail.gmail.com.

Ted Hedman

Oct 14, 2021, 12:37:26 PM10/14/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

Now that I've seen the pic I think I might actually have a few of those plugs. Thanks for posting.

On October 14, 2021, at 9:24 AM, nandjm...@bellsouth.net wrote:

“Pictures or it didn’t happen”

See attached.

Oct 15, 2021, 8:32:31 PM10/15/21
to Bluebird510
Maybe some have seen this before, but here's some tech:
Fitting a programmable ignition with LS coil packs to a 1600 (510) with L20B and Webers, then replacing the Webers with Hyabusa throttle body EFI, with dyno runs after each step.