Moving a 510 on the starter

Ward Hill Press

Oct 14, 2021, 6:53:54 PM10/14/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com
I've done this before with a 240Z and a Porsche 924, moving a non
running car on the starter. I may not be able to get two people and a
person at the wheel to move my 510....and there is a slight incline
to get it out of the garage. Here's the difference, this car has a
trunk mounted battery. Should I be concerned about overheating the
cable going to the starter? I figure I will need two starter assists
of 20 to 30 seconds. There is no battery tray so I can't temporarily
locate it there. I could MacGyver the battery to the front bumper if
my plan gets the thumbs down. I figure someone here has done this.
Steve

david datsuns.com

Oct 14, 2021, 7:00:12 PM10/14/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com
If you have sufficient gauge cable it shouldn't matter if the battery is in the trunk vs. engine bay for something like this.

Dave
NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

paolo

Oct 14, 2021, 7:31:10 PM10/14/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

Just go for it Steve.  At 30 seconds, I would not be concerned unless you know the cable to be undersized or have connection or starter issues.

Still, go for it.  If you smell anything getting hot, just be prepared to wait between runs.  I trust the routing is not under carpeting or other melt-able or flammable materials?   After cable size, routing is key here.

A good relocate should use a fine strand welding wire at about a 00 gauge as most trunk relocates need about 12-feet of wire length - one direction.

Paolo ———

David Weitz

Oct 14, 2021, 7:56:31 PM10/14/21
to ward...@rcn.com, blueb...@googlegroups.com
Are you working on the car again?

Glad to hear it.

Can’t wait to see it at SPEC510 next spring.

David

> On Oct 14, 2021, at 6:53 PM, Ward Hill Press <ward...@rcn.com> wrote:
>
> I've done this before with a 240Z and a Porsche 924, moving a non running car on the starter. I may not be able to get two people and a person at the wheel to move my 510....and there is a slight incline to get it out of the garage. Here's the difference, this car has a trunk mounted battery. Should I be concerned about overheating the cable going to the starter? I figure I will need two starter assists of 20 to 30 seconds. There is no battery tray so I can't temporarily locate it there. I could MacGyver the battery to the front bumper if my plan gets the thumbs down. I figure someone here has done this.
> Steve

dhal...@yahoo.com

Oct 15, 2021, 12:51:35 PM10/15/21
to Bluebird510
 A come along puller is much cheaper then a new starter and works better. Been there, done both.
Dennis

David Weitz

Oct 15, 2021, 4:42:55 PM10/15/21
to dhal...@yahoo.com, Bluebird510
In Steve’s case, he has a steep downhill into his garage. So to use a come along, he would need something to anchor one end to. Maybe the bumper of a truck or a tree higher up the driveway.

 David

On Oct 15, 2021, at 1:20 PM, 'dhal...@yahoo.com' via Bluebird510 <blueb...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

 A come along puller is much cheaper then a new starter and works better. Been there, done both.

paolo

Oct 15, 2021, 6:03:10 PM10/15/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

Steep?  He said 'slight incline'.  In a private message to Steve, I noted limits to slope (I say 4% or less - 1/25) and pointed out to remove plugs for starter approach.  I agree with using come-along (if one has adequate/available anchor points and cable/rope lengths) or use one or two friends.

Friends are best.  If you have none, in my experience, beer buys friends.  Cheaper than any tow equipment.

Paolo ———

Ward Hill Press

Oct 15, 2021, 11:41:28 PM10/15/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com
My computer has been down and may be down again.
Thanks for all of the tips including removing the spark plugs. Here is the set up. I only have 20 feet between my garage door and parked cars on the opposite side of the street. Nothing to anchor a come along to other than a car so I could get the 510 out half way if others don't need to pass. The garage floor was not professionally poured* and slopes up to meet the "threshold". The street outside is an incline but that shouldn't be a problem, it will actually help once out. Friends and neighbors probably won't be available when I have to move it. Once out, there is no place to park it. While I am typing this I just thought of another way to get it out. I can chock the back tires (closest to the doors) and jack up the front and slide ramps under the tires. That should be enough to get the back end over that "threshold" hump. I'll stabilize the ramps so they don't slide out when the car comes down.
* I was once parting out a very rotted out 240Z. I had it on 6 jack stands. The car fell over just after I just got out from under it. Two of the jack stands sunk into very thin concrete.
Steve

At 06:03 PM 10/15/2021, paolo wrote:

Steep?Ā  He said 'slight incline'.Ā  In a private message to Steve, I noted limits to slope (I say 4% or less - 1/25) and pointed out to remove plugs for starter approach.Ā  I agree with using come-along (if one has adequate/available anchor points and cable/rope lengths) or use one or two friends.

Friends are best.Ā  If you have none, in my experience, beer buys friends.Ā  Cheaper than any tow equipment.
Paolo ——— an>

On 10/15/2021 1:42 PM, 'David Weitz' via Bluebird510 wrote:
In Steveā€™s case, he has a steep downhill into his garage. So to use a come along, he would need something to anchor one end to. Maybe the bumper of a truck or a tree higher up the driveway.Ā

Ā David

On Oct 15, 2021, at 1:20 PM, 'dhal...@yahoo.com' via Bluebird510 <blueb...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

ļ»æĀ A come along puller is much cheaper then a new starter and works better. Been there, done both.
DennisĀ

On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 5:56:31 PM UTC-6 qwi...@aol.com wrote:
Are you working on the car again?

Glad to hear it.

Canā€™t wait to see it at SPEC510 next spring.

David

> On Oct 14, 2021, at 6:53 PM, Ward Hill Press <ward...@rcn.com> wrote:
>
> ļ»æI've done this before with a 240Z and a Porsche 924, moving a non running car on the starter. I may not be able to get two people and a person at the wheel to move my 510....and there is a slight incline to get it out of the garage. Here's the difference, this car has a trunk mounted battery. Should I be concerned about overheating the cable going to the starter? I figure I will need two starter assists of 20 to 30 seconds. There is no battery tray so I can't temporarily locate it there. I could MacGyver the battery to the front bumper if my plan gets the thumbs down. I figure someone here has done this.
> Steve
>
> --

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

paolo

Nov 5, 2021, 12:04:43 PM11/5/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

Steve,

Did you move the car yet?  If so, how?

Paolo____

On 10/15/2021 8:41 PM, Ward Hill Press wrote:
[...]

Ward Hill Press

Nov 6, 2021, 12:24:49 AM11/6/21
to pa...@cedarcomm.com, blueb...@googlegroups.com
Paolo I wish.
No, life keeps getting in the way.
My 6 month old SSD died, I lost all emails since April. My back ups never made it onto my back up drive. So any private emails on this subject were lost. IIRC there is a way to read the BB list on line.
Lowering the wheels onto the incline of ramps will give me the push I need to get over the threshold.
Steve

At 12:04 PM 11/5/2021, paolo wrote:

[...]

br>

On 10/15/2021 1:42 PM, 'David Weitz' via Bluebird510 wrote:
In SteveÄ €™s case, , he has a steep downhill into his garage. So to use a come along, he would need something to anchor one end to. Maybe the bumper of a truck or a tree higher up the driveway.Ä€

Ä€ David

On Oct 15, 2021, at 1:20 PM, 'dhal...@yahoo.com' via Bluebird510 <blueb...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

ļ»æĀ A come along puller is much cheaper then a new starter and works better. Been there, done both.
DennisĀ

On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 5:56:31 PM UTC-6 qwi...@aol.com wrote:
Are you working on the car again?
Glad to hear it.
CanÄ €™t wait to see it at SPEC510 ne next spring.