LHD SSS Dash

David Lum

Nov 29, 2020, 11:22:38 AM11/29/20
to Bluebird510

Ronnie Day

Nov 29, 2020, 11:56:03 AM11/29/20
to 510 List
Looks interesting. Kinda pricey maybe, though, just for the gauge cluster cover. Then again, if these are being 3D printed rather than injection molded, that takes lots of time on multiple printers (hopefully).

What kind of reputation do these folks have?

RD

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

David Lum

Nov 29, 2020, 2:55:54 PM11/29/20
to 510 List

Good Q, no idea. They have other cool 510 stuff though:

Shop - Gilson Design Pty Ltd

I like the single DIN option, but it is out of stock…

Dave

David Patten

Nov 29, 2020, 3:02:36 PM11/29/20
to Dave Lum, 510 List
I purchased a couple radio surrounds from him for my long term project (still uninstalled)

They are injection molded. I assume the LHD SSS dash is made with the same process.

I have one coming, so I will get to find out first hand on the quality and fit.

Dave Patten, Owner

FutoFab, LLC
199 Stark Hwy So
Dunbarton, NH 03046-4411

Telephone - (603) 774-6964
Facebook - FutoFab LLC

Nov 29, 2020, 3:27:28 PM11/29/20
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

If spending a bundle on the gauge cluster, I'd be  more inclined to go this route:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-7000/all

Less authentic (stockish) looking but far cooler and certainly more functional.

Paolo ———

Rear Wheel Drive, the way God intended.
If a car is being pulled from the front, doesn't that mean it's being towed?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Brock Johnson

Nov 29, 2020, 4:27:33 PM11/29/20
to Paolo, Bluebirds Google Group
I was thinking about getting speedhut GPS gauges. If you were to get a set of three for the stock dash how would you set them up?
like this? Any suggestions?

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

David Lum

Nov 29, 2020, 7:11:48 PM11/29/20
to datsu...@gmail.com, Paolo, Bluebirds Google Group

Here’s their tach and GPS speedo in the 510 dash, not sure what 3rd gauge you’re referencing (link didn’t show images)

Dave

image001.png

David Lum

Nov 29, 2020, 7:14:19 PM11/29/20
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

That is super-cool. You’ll laugh, but I’m actually going for the OEM look with Red’s dash so the LHD SSS is perfect.

Dave

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

Brock Johnson

Nov 29, 2020, 8:27:21 PM11/29/20
to David Lum, Paolo, Bluebirds Google Group
I was thinking a combo gauge, but not in this set. Just sort of wondering, how many gauges do you really need?
Speedo, tach, temp, fuel gauge.
Oil pressure? Boost?( If applicable)
?????

David Lum

Nov 30, 2020, 3:38:18 AM11/30/20
to datsu...@gmail.com, Paolo, Bluebirds Google Group

Kenny

Nov 30, 2020, 4:13:13 AM11/30/20
to da...@datsuns.com, datsu...@gmail.com, Paolo, Bluebirds Google Group
 I have not read through this whole thread but there was a guy 3-D printing the LHD sss dash. There was a thread in the 510/1600 owners registry a few years back.
 I will see if I can find the link with pics.

Sent from my iPhone

Ronnie Day

Nov 30, 2020, 9:17:46 AM11/30/20
to 510 List
At first glance, i'm not crazy about the AutoMeter digital cluster, at least as looks are concerned.

I am wondering how to mount the gauges if you use the SSS cluster cover? Seems to me you'd need some type of mounting frame at least somewhat like the US OE cluster to physically hold the gauges. I doubt the cover would support the weight long term, if at all.

paolo

Nov 30, 2020, 7:36:06 PM11/30/20
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

Ronnie,

It's what lies beneath.  While looks aren't everything it has the capacity to look almost like anything you want and can perform nearly any function (dash gauge wise).  Also do not use any part of this phrasing to your significant other, especially the part the about what lies beneath...

I can see this working with any power plant and sensor needs.

It wouldn't take much to retrofit this to an existing 510 plastic dash console.  Dimensions are near perfect.   A few clean straight cuts with some thin ABS surround framing, some plastic glues or welding, along with some simple AL support bits and you'd have dash pod nirvana.

Also, it appears one could use a stock 510 automatic speedo cable with pulse counter to monitor the MPH, (this would need to be tested based on pulses/rev) thus readily adapted to nearly any L series tranny.

We all dream, right?

Paolo ———

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 3:13 AM 'Kenny' via Bluebird510 <blueb...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
 I have not read through this whole thread but there was a guy 3-D printing the LHD sss dash. There was a thread in the 510/1600 owners registry a few years back.
 I will see if I can find the link with pics.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 30, 2020, at 3:38 AM, David Lum <da...@datsuns.com> wrote:

Those are pretty much it…

Ronnie Day

Nov 30, 2020, 8:41:14 PM11/30/20
to 510 List
Paolo, I know it shouldn't be difficult to fab a frame for the gauges. My initial reaction to the AM digital panel was HELL NO, but thinking about it a bit more before I reject it totally, I'd want to know more about all of the functions and parameters it monitors. A bunch, I'm sure. And by the time you load the LHD cluster with quality gauges the bottom line price would probably approach, if not exceed, the AM panel anyway. All of that said, I've always preferred large analog reading gauges with a 270 sweep. All you have to do to know the parameters you're monitoring are where they should be is glance at a gauge like that. Even tachs have shift lights (often big ones) and/or buzzers these days. You have to read and think about a numeric digital gauge. I do think there are some very nice accessory gauge panels being created these days, both here and in Australia/New Zealand. Lots of good options.

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

Ted Hedman

Nov 30, 2020, 9:04:25 PM11/30/20
to ronni...@gmail.com, Bluebird510

Those Speed hut gauges don't have much depth, so perhaps they might be light enough that they wouldn't significantly stress the sss panel pods? I do like the 270* sweep. That setup would make a very attractive cluster. Didn't see a green-on-black option for night illumination, though...

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bluebird510/CAMHhs6cEkHZNxD%3DfwmLbNca5WXpv1U95XgQTZHdTV%2BLvCtOSDw%40mail.gmail.com.

paolo

Dec 1, 2020, 1:13:53 PM12/1/20
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

IMO, the auto-meter  unit looks like a great first try.  It has nearly everything* one would need for 510 usage.  It currently has only 3 default display setups.  I prefer use option 3, the all round gauges, for which the engine monitors have the 270 degree sweep.  I'd rather it have the layout of the SSS gauges.  (* I don't see redline or shift points as options for the tach).

While currently 'hard wired', I would prefer the display software to be fully customizable - maybe programmable via an open source option or separate PC based software package.  That is not likely.  Still being digitally driven, possibility exists to be hacked or co-opted.  AutoMeter also has a free data acquisition and analysis program which could be useful for some.

-------------------

Right now, I am committed to rebuilding and digitally enhancing stock gauge pods.  Given the age, wear and tear, fragility, and previous owner injuries, damaged traces, corroded contacts, and loose pins are all too common issues.  It can be time consuming to find out why the lighting is poor, tach, brake, charge lights, or fuel or temp gauges don't work.  A hard to test loose pin is often a culprit.

With the number of dimes I've resurrected and/or am restoring, I found it best to just build a gauge pod test bench and fully refurbish each unit.  I do the following:

 - disassemble the pod completely.
 - reinforce and solder the harness pins to traces at base.
 - replace all lamps with LEDs,
except alternator lamp as most alternators won't self ignite if LED is used here.
 - fully repaint the interior flat white (you'd be surprised at how factory paint jobs vary - good to nearly no paint).
 - add a PWM dimmer control. The LEDs are so bright, it's needed. It goes from black-out to being able to see the gauges clearly on a very bright day.
 - add a ground strap wire.
 - calibrate the temp and fuel gauges.
 - strip and clean the PC board then re-coat it with clear conformal spray.
 - hard wire a mini harness to the PCB for the two tack/clock lamps which work with the dimmer.  This simplifies the tach harness as only +12V and pulse sense wires are needed.

Besides now working rock solid and better than stock, they're kinda works of art when I'm done.  I've done about 6 so far.  If I get a chance, I'll post some photos to the Datsun510.com site.

Paolo ———

paolo

Dec 1, 2020, 3:23:32 PM12/1/20
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

Getting back to the original post...  Awesome for this fellow to take up such a mantle and forge (or inject himself) into this endeavor.  I thinks it's awesome.  I hope many partake and support it.

Also, Dave P, please share your findings.  Verbal assay and photos would be greatly appreciated.  BTW, the CV axles are of impressive quality and amazing.

How did this year's black 'whatever' go?

Paolo ———

David Patten

Dec 2, 2020, 1:34:02 PM12/2/20
to P aolo, 510 List
Paolo,
When I get my SSS LHD Dash I will certainly share. They are designed around Speedhut style gauges, but any gauge of the correct size with a similar mount system should work.

Thanks for the kind words on our CV axles. FutoFab have continuously made improvements to the original WCR design, so many that the only real similarity is the 100mm CV size.

FutoFab now offers a beefier 108mm CV axle kit based on the Porsche 930 Turbo CV.

We have also added stub axles for the Subi R180 and Datsun R200 diffs that accept the 108mm CV directly without adapters.

For the S30 Z cars we offer an HD Wheel Stub Axle with a larger spline diameter and a thicker wheel flange. These come with a companion flange that accepts either the 100mm or 108mm CV directly.

With all these new parts, it is now possible to outfit your S30 Z car with a 108mm CV axle system that goes from diff to wheel with no adapters.

Our Cyber Monday sale was a HUGE success. The timing could have been a little better for me and I ask folks to bear with me in getting orders out as I had meniscus surgery that day on my right knee. Recovery is going as well if not better than the sale did.

I am in the warehouse today, up and mobile without crutches getting orders ready to ship today.

All in all, things are going very well.

Dave Patten, Owner

FutoFab, LLC
199 Stark Hwy So
Dunbarton, NH 03046-4411

Telephone - (603) 774-6964
Facebook - FutoFab LLC

Apr 14, 2021, 3:22:11 PM4/14/21
to P aolo, 510 List
BB List,
I got word that my LHD SSS Dash was on its way from Duncan at Gilson Design.

I'm going with SpeedHut gauges. They are ordered and will take 3-4 weeks so early May I might have a dash together.

Dave Patten, Owner

FutoFab, LLC
199 Stark Hwy So
Dunbarton, NH 03046-4411

Telephone - (603) 774-6964
Facebook - FutoFab LLC

Apr 14, 2021, 4:25:43 PM4/14/21
to David Patten, P aolo, 510 List
Looking forward to seeing this built with the gauges in it.

--
Dan
1987 Yamaha 250SRX

david datsuns.com

Apr 15, 2021, 9:45:28 AM4/15/21
to 510 mailing list

bd5wingnut

Apr 16, 2021, 2:50:44 AM4/16/21
to da...@datsuns.com, 510 mailing list
Same! same!!

Wolf

Sent from my Galaxy

Matt Lovell

Apr 16, 2021, 3:05:49 PM4/16/21
to 510 mailing list
Very cool. Glad to see a company that cares about doing something special like this.  $500, though, sheesh.

david datsuns.com

Sep 21, 2021, 6:13:21 PM9/21/21
to 510 mailing list
Mine arrives tomorrow - I can't remember that last time I bought something I anticipated so much!  Red has cool stuff, but this dash is a top 3 for sure, I have literally wished for this exact thing for a long long time.

Dave

Kelvin Dietz

Sep 22, 2021, 2:56:51 AM9/22/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

Didn't you buy a SSS dash from me a few years ago, Dave?

david datsuns.com

Sep 22, 2021, 8:39:06 AM9/22/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com
Wasn't me. Cool things from you include Red's current 15 gallon tank and a BRE poster you did a run of 25 or something which is hanging in my living room :).

I didn't know a LHD SSS dash was in actual existence until Gilson's.

Dave