Balls To The Wall Datsun 510

Alvin Gogineni

Oct 1, 2021, 11:19:12 PM10/1/21
to 510 List
Apologies if this has been posted already.
In my interview with Nissan F/GT 240Z team member and former parts manager Tom O'Connor I asked him what the "BTW IV" decal on the BRE rear spoiler meant. He sent me these scans describing the origins, and it is quite interesting.

original zcarblog feature:

BTW scans:
Comp Parts Bulletin highlighting how to to build a "BTW" car:

Article on the BTW 510 ( two pages)

David Weitz

Oct 2, 2021, 8:18:10 AM10/2/21
to alvi...@gmail.com, 510 List
Thanks for sharing Alvin.

BTW - the only way to drive!

On Oct 1, 2021, at 11:19 PM, Alvin Gogineni <alvi...@gmail.com> wrote:

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

Ted Hedman

Oct 2, 2021, 3:21:31 PM10/2/21
to qwi...@aol.com, alvi...@gmail.com, blueb...@googlegroups.com

Stoked we finally solved the BTW puzzle. Looks like Tom's scans came from my scans posted years ago at Datsun510.com.  I still have that original color copy of the Comp Parts Bulletin, and the C&D mag with the article.  As I recall, I saw the sticker on the Bonneville Z in Alvin's ZCG video earlier this Spring and asked Alvin if Randy knew what it meant. Randy said it was Balls To the Wall, and now Alvin has it from the horses mouth, Tom O'Connor!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bluebird510/BC0678AF-27FA-4786-9DBD-C639F375F166%40aol.com.

Ted Hedman

Oct 2, 2021, 11:22:41 PM10/2/21
to alvi...@gmail.com, 510 List

I wonder if this is the same steering wheel as the one in the Bonneville Z?

https://imgur.com/xkeXHRv

If not, it’s dang similar. This is the BRE Towne 510 with the Yuma Rocket engine. It looks like both cars have custom center caps.

PS- Even BRE installed mismatched tachometers!

Sent from Mail for Windows

Ted Hedman

Oct 2, 2021, 11:44:04 PM10/2/21
to alvi...@gmail.com, 510 List

Cool pics with Trevor Harris and the Shadow Mk 1.

Air brakes?

https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/IMG_6729.jpg

Sent from Mail for Windows

Apologies if this has been posted already.

walt matenkosky

Oct 3, 2021, 9:55:08 AM10/3/21
to thedm...@gmail.com, alvi...@gmail.com, 510 List

On a Shadow CanAm? Could be!!!

Sent from Mail for Windows

Carter Boad

Oct 3, 2021, 10:25:36 PM10/3/21
to thedm...@gmail.com, alvi...@gmail.com, 510 List

Ted Hedman

Oct 3, 2021, 11:05:20 PM10/3/21
to 510 List

I know, huh? A dollar sure went a lot further in those days.

I always thought Shadows were cool. I got me a T-shirt some time ago:

https://imgur.com/eQIa4KH

Anything about air brakes in your book, Carter?

Sent from Mail for Windows

Carter Boad

Oct 3, 2021, 11:24:17 PM10/3/21
to thedm...@gmail.com, 510 List

It did talk about them yes, and many other wild ideas.

here is a video on this promo page that shows the air brakes deploying.

https://uopshadowicons.com/product/can-am-shadow-special-edition-package/

My biggest take-a-way from that book was how far racecars have come in reliability.  The shadow cars were certainly pushing the envelope but so was everyone else, and one of the consequences was an unbelievable DNF record.

Andy Klink

Oct 4, 2021, 12:39:38 PM10/4/21
to thedm...@gmail.com, alvi...@gmail.com, 510 List, Carter Boad
Yeah, but think of that in relative terms - that's about 50% of the price of a brand new 510!

Then again - look at the difference between a stock new Mustang GT and a Mach 1. Almost 100% difference depending on how equipped.

paolo

Oct 5, 2021, 6:35:06 PM10/5/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

It's all just history.

For those with sufficient age and adequate memory, recall the going minimum wage back in 1970-ish.  I recall about $1.60.  The average worker's wage (target one who would consider a 510) could not have been earned much higher than that.

I remember this well as I started my first job at a bike shop in '72 and the owner gave me a $0.07 over minimum wage starting wage as I outperformed the existing 20+ yr olds currently working at the shop during my 'apprentice' period (a.k.a. two wage free test days).  I as about 14.  Never having worked for a real job with a wage before, man was I proud.

I saw my first 'tuner' 510 at that shop via a customer who drove up in a rather loud, custom painted, flared, lowered 2-dr Dime.  A handful of young folk gathered around the car in the parking lot (the whole front wall was glass) as we did bike-shop business getting the owner a new 10-speed. A Fuji as 'Finest' I recall.

Nice shiny paint but I was not impressed with his car as my dad had a stock 510 wagon.  It hauled (stuff)!  I also only cared about bikes and racing bikes.  Naturally that would change after I started to rely on a car to earn a living and re-discovered the 510 in the early 80's.

Paolo ———

Ted Hedman

Oct 5, 2021, 7:45:21 PM10/5/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

What I like is that for the price of a new 510 plus full BTW kit plus some wrench skills and perhaps a copy of Bob Waar’s Bible, you got a car that could run from a stock 2002 for about the same price, and seriously harass the even more expensive 2002tii. Not that you’d be cross shopping a new 2002 on $1.60/hr, but you could add the parts as time and money allowed and eventually get there.

Sent from Mail for Windows

NOTICE!!!!

All emails will be sent to the author of this message. If you want to send this message to the group simply add this address to the "To" field in your email client blueb...@googlegroups.com .

---

Ronnie Day

Oct 5, 2021, 10:02:08 PM10/5/21
to thedman510, blueb...@googlegroups.com
IIRC, the C&D BTW article was published in the same period that Hot Rod did a two part article on the 510. I know I have the parts list that lists what bits C&D used. There was also a HR piece on the "Dyno-Tune" kit. I have all of them in a binder along with other period 510/Z-Car articles. including many Comp Department catalogs, parts and "How to..." bulletins. I pretty much collected all of the Datsun related printed material I could find. Remember, no internet in those days!

The AF sent me to Hickam in January '73 and we shipped our original '71 4-door to Hawaii. On the way to Travis in NorCal I made a "slight" detour through El Segundo and bought suspension bits from BRE and had them shipped to my APO box. After the car and the pieces arrived I installed the kit in the parking spaces in front of our Waikiki apart!

Over the next year or so, I stuck in a Norris cam, Z-car valves, did a mild port job and installed a 2 & 1/2 inch exhaust with a removable turbo muffler on the car. I also installed one of the dyno-kits that had become popular and later installed a single Weber 42 DCOE on a Warneford manifold. That really never worked that well and I finally put the massaged Hitachi 328 back on the car. It was a fun car to drive especially with 22 inch tall slicks.

Talking about parts prices, if you can get your hands on a copy of the (I think) March '72 Motor Trend that contains the two page picture of the yellow "Brockbuster". It includes a parts list with prices that will literally turn you green with envy! Remember, though, the spring of '72 was a hell of a long time ago and you'd have to allow for inflation if you could even get the parts!

RD

paolo

Oct 13, 2021, 8:25:51 PM10/13/21
to blueb...@googlegroups.com

It seems we've become a syndicate of 510 history buffs or technophobes.  Not a bad thing, per say, yet I'd love to see more techno content.  Whats new?

"Get up to speed folks..."

Paolo ———