Blue Wind Botanical Medicine Clinic's Summer 2011 Class Series (& work trade offer for this weekends class)

Tellur Fenner

Jun 16, 2011, 7:23:46 PM6/16/11
to Blue Wind Botanical Medicine Clinic's Mailing List
hello everyone!

at long last...i'm finally getting around to posting my class schedule
for summer 2011. in addition, i've included a reminder about my last
class of the spring season-- Hazards: Poisonous Plants of the Bay
Area...which will be offered at the Point Reyes National Seashore this
Saturday June 18 from 10am-4pm. i'm offering a work-trade opportunity
for this event: i need transportation to the class (from Oakland) as
well as someone to take photos. in exchange you get to take the class
for free. please contact me asap if you are interested in this
arrangement. note the free introductory lectures offered on June 23 &
July 14 at the Gathering Thyme apothecary in San Anselmo, CA.

hope to see you all at a class sometime soon!

take care,

tellur fenner

THE HAZARDS: POISONOUS PLANTS OF THE BAY AREA

Whether you endeavor to harvest, prepare, and use plant foods/
medicines or simply wish to embark on leisurely strolls through the
woods, it is CRITICAL that you learn about those plants which can harm
or even kill you. Knowledge is power, and the goal of this class is to
raise students’ awareness about the more commonly encountered
poisonous plants found growing in and around the San Francisco Bay
Area. Toxic ornamentals, invasives, and native plant representatives
will all be covered. Special emphasis will be placed on
differentiating poisonous plants from their beneficial edible/
medicinal counterparts. Participants will not only be protecting
themselves, but will be ensuring the safety of their families,
friends, and pets as well. Class will consist of a lecture/slideshow,
a large selection of live plant samples, and botanical I.D lessons
along the nearby trails of Point Reyes National Seashore.

Date/Time: June 18th. 10am-4pm

Location: Point Reyes National Seashore Visitor Center (Red Barn
Classroom)

Instructor: Tellur Fenner

Registration:

Website: http://www.ptreyes.org/fieldseminars/seminarlistnaturalworld.shtml

Phone: (415) 663.1200 ext. 373

Fee: $60 members/ $80 non-members
Make sure to bring: Water, lunch, notebook, hat/sunscreen, rain gear,
and a camera.

Medicinal Plants of California, Part I and II
A Slide Show/Interactive Lecture with Tellur Fenner

California is home to a diverse array of medicinal plants long valued
for their therapeutic effects. In this entertaining and lively
presentation we will explore many of the more common (and lesser
known) plants used in Western American herbalism, focusing on
historical as well as modern use. The talk will consist of a slide-
show demonstration highlighting the basic taxonomical and
phytochemical characteristics of selected medicinal plant families.
Preparation methods, harvesting ethics, botanical safety issues, and
ethnobotanical topics will also be addressed. As part of the
demonstration, a variety of plant samples and botanical extracts will
be passed around for those interested in sampling and experiencing the
plants more directly. Anyone curious about the healing potential of
our local flora will find this class not only insightful, but self
empowering as well.

Details: Thursdays - June 23 & July 14. 7pm-9pm

Cost: FREE!

Location: Gathering Thyme • 226 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. • San Anselmo,
CA

Registration/Info: 415-524-8693 • Email: in...@gatheringthyme.com

Event Link:

http://www.gatheringthyme.com/events.html#tellur

MEDICINAL PLANTS OF THE EASTERN SIERRA AND GREAT BASIN REGION:
A Summertime Field Exploration

The Eastern Sierra/Great Basin region is a land of extremes; with the
highest peak in the continental U.S (Mt. Whitney 14,494’) towering
over the lowest point (Badwater Basin -282’). The convergence of high
mountain peaks which abruptly descend down to the Great Basin and
Mohave Deserts makes for one of the most visually stunning and
botanically diverse landscapes to be found in the Western U.S. Sub-
alpine meadows, riparian woodlands, pinyon-juniper woodlands,
sagebrush scrub, and desert marshlands are a few of the habitats to
expect on our outings as we search for Yerba Manza, American Licorice,
Fireweed, Stream Orchid, Arnica, and many other notable medicinals.
We’ll spend our days hiking and botanizing while reserving evenings
for interactive hands-on workshops, relaxing with friends, not to
mention camping under a blanket of stars. Keep in mind that hot
springs and cool mountain streams/lakes will be worked into the
curriculum as well! This full immersion field outing should prove to
be insightful and rewarding for anyone interested in knowing more
about the unique flora of the region.

Topics to be covered/ hands-on activities include:

• field botany/plant ID lessons
• study of plant family characteristics (appearance and basic chemical
traits)
• herbal medicine making activities
• coverage of edible, medicinal, and utilitarian uses
• ethical harvesting guidelines and information about at-risk
medicinal plants
• tips on how to identify and avoid poisonous plants
• safety issues
• natural history
• microscope sessions (for up-close plant observation)

Date: June 30 - July 4. Partial attendance possible
Meet-up/Departure Time:
We will meet at a designated camping area between 5pm-7pm on Thursday
July 30. Class ends at 5pm on Monday July 4.
Location: near Bishop, CA
Instructor: Tellur Fenner
Class fee: $200 ($150 - 3 day attendance) ($100 – 2 day attendance)
Registration:
Phone: 510-428-1810
Email: bluew...@gmail.com
Website: www.bluewindbmc.com

Interested, but don’t have a car? Inquire about carpooling options.

To Bring: Since this is a car-camping trip, no serious backpacking
gear is necessary. Things that are necessary are: Tent, Sleeping Bag,
Rain Gear, Clothes (for hot/cold weather) , Hiking Boots, Hat/
Sunscreen, Daypack, Food/Snacks (class fee does not include meals),
Camp Stove, Camping Chair, Camping Pad, Swimming Suit (for hot
springs), Flashlight, Water Bottles, Firewood, and most
importantly...a sense of adventure!

Optional (yet recommended): Notebook, Camera, Hand lens.

Recommended (but not required) Texts:
Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West by Michael Moore
Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West by Michael Moore
Medicinal Plants of the Desert and Canyon West by Michael Moore
The Jepson Manual by Hickman
Botany in a Day by Thomas Elpel
California Plant Families by Glenn Keator
Poisonous Plants of California by Fuller and McClintock

HERBAL TINCTURE MAKING: with Traditional Chinese Medicine Herbs

Herbal tinctures (alcohol extracts) are a convenient and efficient way
to prepare, formulate, and administer botanical medicines. Tincture
making is both an art and a science, with a wide variety of techniques
involved in the process. Come join us as we explore many of these
methods while using a number of different TCM plants and fungi. Topics
to be covered include: fresh plant tincturing, dry plant maceration,
dry plant percolation, fluid extracts, glycerites, liniments, acetums,
and hydro-alcohol double extractions. This is an interactive hands-on
class so be prepared to get your hands dirty while having a lot of
fun! Each student will leave with medicines that s/he helped prepare
during class.

Date/Time: July 16. 10am-6pm

Location: American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine

Instructor: Tellur Fenner

Fee: $55 (price includes a materials fee)

To Bring: Notebook, camera, water, lunch.

Registration: Phone: 415-282-7600, x16

Email: LeeS...@actcm.edu

Event Link:

http://www.actcm.edu/

MEDICINAL PLANTS OF THE BAY AREA:
A BIOREGIONAL EXPLORATION
(Seasonal Herb Walk Series)

From the mist shrouded sea cliffs to the sun-baked arid expanse of its
eastern most regions, the San Francisco Bay area provides us with a
chance to view a large variety of botanical specimens all within a
relatively small geographical range. Join us as we discover together
the diverse array of medicinal plants found growing within these
contrasting yet closely interconnected micro-climates. Historical and
modern medicinal applications will be covered along with any edible
and/or utilitarian potential. Tips on basic plant identification will
be offered, with an emphasis on how to differentiate poisonous look-
alike plants from their beneficial counterparts. Plant family
characteristics will be discussed as well.

-SUMMER SESSION-

Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve (near Half Moon Bay, CA)
July 17. 10am-5pm. $45

San Francisco Presidio. August 14. 10am-5pm. $45

Point Reyes National Seashore. September 18. 10am-5pm. $45

Pre-register for the whole season (21 class hours) for only $120!

Instructor: Tellur Fenner
Make sure to bring: Water, lunch, notebook, hat/sunscreen, rain gear,
and a camera.
Registration:
Phone: 510-428-1810
Email: bluew...@gmail.com
Website: www.bluewindbmc.com

ETHNOBOTANY OF THE ALTA TOQUIMA WILDERNESS

With its cool trout-filled streams and alpine lakes, the Toquima Range
seems out of place in the heart of central Nevada’s Great Basin
Desert. Mt. Jefferson (11,941), the area’s central feature, affords a
breathtaking view stretching all the way from California to Utah. This
remote and isolated wilderness area is known for its botanical
diversity, and late July should be a perfect time to witness its
colorful floral displays. We’ll spend our first night at a low
elevation hot spring before ascending the mountain. A main focus of
the trip will be to examine the many edible, medicinal, and
utilitarian uses of the plants found on our daily treks. Botanical I.D
tips will be given in the field, and hands-on teaching activities will
take place back at camp.

This is a Desert Survivors Sponsored Trip.

Date: July 29 - August 1 (Fri-Mon)
Instructor: Tellur Fenner
Registration: bluew...@gmail.com (email preferred) 510.428.1810
Fee: Free! (but see website for more info)
Website: http://www.desert-survivors.org/member.html

PLANTS OF POINT REYES NATIONAL SEASHORE:
AN ETHNOBOTANICAL FIELD EXPLORATION

Situated just 30 miles north of downtown San Francisco, Point Reyes
National Seashore is the largest and most diverse tract of contiguous
wilderness to be found so close to the cities of the Bay Area. The
botanical diversity of the region is due to its varied landscapes,
including: coastal bluffs, chaparral, dunes, deep forests of Douglas-
fir and Bishop pines, grasslands, and both fresh water and salt water
marshes. Join us on this day-long field class as we explore many of
these habitats while learning about the many amazing and useful plants
which grow there. We will spend our time hiking and botanizing from a
variety of different locations within the park reached via car
shuttle. Topics/activities to be covered include: plant
identification, medicinal/edible/utilitarian uses, plant family
characteristics, ethical harvesting guidelines and information about
at-risk medicinal plants (no plants will be picked during the course
as they are protected within the park’s boundaries), safety issues and
tips on how to avoid toxic/poisonous plants, medicine making
techniques, natural fibers, sampling of a variety of edible/medicinal
plant preparations, and more!

Date/Time: August 13. 10am-4pm

Location: Point Reyes National Seashore Visitor Center (Red Barn
Classroom)

Instructor: Tellur Fenner

Registration:

Website: http://www.ptreyes.org/fieldseminars/seminarlistnaturalworld.shtml

Phone: (415) 663.1200 ext. 373

Fee: $60 members/ $80 non-members

Make sure to bring: Water, lunch, notebook, hat/sunscreen, rain gear,
and a camera.

Tellur Fenner
Blue Wind Botanical Medicine Clinic & Education Center
Website: http://www.bluewindbmc.com
Email: bluew...@gmail.com
Address: 823 32nd St. Apt B. Oakland, CA 94608.
Clinic: 510-428-1810
Cell: 510-290-6841

Check out our facebook business page here: Blue Wind Botanical
Medicine Clinic
Join our mailing list here: BWBMC Mailing List

Cheryl Fromholzer

Jun 16, 2011, 7:28:17 PM6/16/11
to blue-wind-botanical-medi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tellur.

Cheryl here from Gathering Thyme.  We have a large projector screen here, but no projector.  Do you have a way of projecting?  Looking forward to finally meeting you!

-Cheryl

--
Cheryl Fromholzer, Western Clinical Herbalist
http://gatheringthyme.com

Tellur Fenner

Cheryl Fromholzer

Jun 16, 2011, 7:58:17 PM6/16/11
to blue-wind-botanical-medi...@googlegroups.com
13 people have signed up so far.  See you soon!

Tellur Fenner