Blue Wind Botanical Medicine Clinic's Spring 2011 Class Series

1 преглед
Пређи на прву непрочитану поруку

Tellur Fenner

непрочитано,
20. 3. 2011. 07:14:1220.3.11.
– Blue Wind Botanical Medicine Clinic's Mailing List
hello herb lovers!

so my spring line up of classes is finally complete! normally i like
to get my schedules out earlier...but better late than never i always
say. you'll notice i'm offering a number of classes through the Point
Reyes National Seashore Association this year. this is due to two
factors: 1) past classes have been very popular and are regularly
selling out 2) they have a truly state of the art teaching facility
and endless miles of easily accessible wilderness trails. but don't
take my word for it, click on the link below to see pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=83336233805&aid=156741

i'm also continuing my volunteer work with the Desert Survivors
Conservation Organization and will be leading a trip to the Sespe
Wilderness in Southern California in mid-april. the acupuncturists out
there may want to take note of the TCM Plants of the Bay Area class
i'll be offering in S.F at the American College of Traditional Chinese
Medicine - San Francisco Botanical Garden on April 10th. and for the
primitive skills enthusiasts among you, definitely check out the info
on the upcoming 2nd Annual Buckeye Gathering taking place May1-7 in
Sonoma County.

Special Note:

so after many requests over the years and after much thought and
consideration, i've decided to finally start teaching wild-crafting
(edible/medicinal plant harvesting) as part of some of my courses.
this is a matter which carries much ethical complexity, and that is
the reason i've waited so long to teach this aspect of herbalism. for
those interested in such classes, make sure to check out: Edible and
Medicinal Plants of Mendocino County: Weekend Campout and Field
Exploration and Edible and Medicinal Plants of Sonoma County: Weekend
Campout and Field Exploration...they should both be quite an
adventure!

Work Trade Notice:

- just a reminder for those out there who are interested in work-trade
possibilities for 2011. i currently really need help with the
following: website design/maintenance, online advertising/class
promotion, graphic design help for flyers, etc, flyering,
transportation/photo help for classes outside the Oakland area, land
for hosting overnight classes (either in the Bay Area or elsewhere in
the state), and medicine making pharmacy help (later this spring).
make sure to read over the work-trade guidelines before contacting me.
they can be found here:

Hope to see you all soon!

LIST OF UPCOMING CLASSES AND EVENTS:

MEDICINAL PLANTS OF THE BAY AREA: A BIOREGIONAL EXPLORATION
(Seasonal Herb Walk Series)

From the mist shrouded sea cliffs to the sun-baked arid expanse of its
eastern most regions, the San Francisco Bay area provides us with a
chance to view a large variety of botanical specimens all within a
relatively small geographical range. Join us as we discover together
the diverse array of medicinal plants found growing within these
contrasting yet closely interconnected micro-climates. Historical and
modern medicinal applications will be covered along with any edible
and/or utilitarian potential. Tips on basic plant identification will
be offered, with an emphasis on how to differentiate poisonous look-
alike plants from their beneficial counterparts. Plant family
characteristics will be discussed as well.

-SPRING SESSION-
As the rains begin to recede and the days lengthen, we are reminded
that spring has arrived. All around, lush carpets of green span the
horizon as many plants begin their annual ascent towards the sun. Come
celebrate the bountiful Bay Area springtime while learning about the
many plants of the season, such as: Baneberry, Balsam Root, Oregon
Grape, Seep Willow, Dandelion, Chickweed, Bleeding Heart, Bayberry,
Mullein, and more!

Glen Canyon Park (San Francisco) March 26. 10am-4pm. $40
Directions links: http://www.bahiker.com/sfhikes/glencanyon.html
http://sites.google.com/site/friendsofglencanyonpark/Home
Meet at the south end of Glen Park at the Recreation Center.

Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve (near Antioch,CA) April 24.
10am-5pm. $45
Directions link: http://www.ebparks.org/parks/black_diamond
Meet at parking area at the end of Somersville Rd. ($5 parking fee)

Montara Mountain (San Pedro County Park, near Pacifica, CA) May 8.
10am-5pm. $45
Directions link: http://plants.montara.com/spvcp.html
Meet on the street just outside the park entrance. (Free parking!)

Mount Tamalpais (Cataract Gulch) June 12. 10am-5pm. $45
Directions/map link: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=471
Meet at the parking area near the intersection of Ridgecrest Rd. and
Willow Camp Fire Rd. (close to Laurel Dell picnic area)

Pre-register for the whole season (27 class hours) for only $160!

Instructor: Tellur Fenner
Make sure to bring: Water, lunch, notebook, hat/sunscreen, rain gear,
and a camera.
Registration:
Phone: 510-428-1810
Email: bluew...@gmail.com
Website: www.bluewindbmc.com

BOUNTIFUL SPRING: MEDICINAL PLANTS OF CALIFORNIA

As the rains begin to recede and the days lengthen, we are reminded
that spring has arrived. All around, lush carpets of green span the
horizon as many plants begin their annual ascent towards the sun. Join
us as we explore the diverse array of medicinal plants found growing
throughout this vibrant landscape. Roots, barks, and the succulent
edible “greens” of the season will be the primary focus of our study.
The morning session will consist of a lecture/slide-show highlighting
the basic taxonomical and chemical characteristics of selected
medicinal plants. After lunch we will stroll nearby trails while
observing, experiencing, and discussing many of the medicinal plants
found growing there. Medicinal uses, identification tips, preparation
methods, harvesting ethics, and botanical safety issues will be
addressed on our walk. Anyone curious about the healing potential of
our local flora will find this class not only insightful, but self
empowering as well.

Date/Time: March 27. 10am-4pm

Location: Point Reyes National Seashore Visitor Center (Red Barn
Classroom)

Instructor: Tellur Fenner

Fee: $60 members/ $80 non-members

Make sure to bring: Water, lunch, notebook, hat/sunscreen, rain gear,
and a camera.

Registration:

Website: http://www.ptreyes.org/fieldseminars/seminarlistnaturalworld.shtml
Phone: (415) 663.1200 ext. 373

TCM PLANTS OF THE BAY AREA: Lecture and Field Exploration

With literally thousands of botanicals listed in its materia medica,
Traditional Chinese Medicine boasts one of the most impressive
medicinal plant inventories on the planet. Many are surprised to learn
that a large number of these specimens can be found growing in and
around the San Francisco Bay Area either as natives, non-native
“weeds”, or as decorative ornamental plants. In addition, many closely
related analogue species are found in our area as well. Sharing a
similar chemistry, these analogues sometimes even parallel their TCM
counterparts in their uses in Native American and Western herbal
medicine traditions. Join us as we merge both eastern and western
worlds in our exploration of this little known Bay Area plant
population. The first part of the day will consist of a lecture/
slideshow, which will also incorporate a large selection of live plant
samples and medicinal preparations. During the later half of class we
will venture to nearby gardens and parks in order to experience a
number of plants in their natural state. Topics to be covered include:
field botany/plant I.D lessons, instruction on plant family
characteristics (appearance and basic chemical traits), sustainable
harvesting/processing techniques, western herbal medicine making
techniques, tips on how to identify and avoid toxic/poisonous look-a-
like plants, safety issues, and western perspectives on indications
and clinical use.

Date/Time: April 10. 10am-6pm.

Location: American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine. San
Francisco, CA

Fee: $40

Instructor: Tellur Fenner

Blue Wind Botanical Medicine Clinic: http://www.bluewindbmc.com

Make sure to bring: Water, lunch, hat/sunscreen, notebook, and a
camera.

Registration: Phone: 415-282-7600, x16

Email: LeeS...@actcm.edu

Event Link: http://www.actcm.edu/events_detail.php?topmenu=5&root=5&id=776&eventsid=122

ETHNOBOTANY OF THE SESPE WILDERNESS
(A Desert Survivors sponsored trip)

Situated just outside the southwest border of the Mojave Desert, this
remote, rugged, and arid landscape is part of a vast mountainous
wilderness complex (the 4th largest roadless region in the continental
U.S) with elevation ranges from 2500’ to 7500’. The area is best known
for its magnificent colored sandstone canyons and the wild and scenic
Sespe River (the last remaining undammed river in S. California). The
area is also home to some of the hottest and most isolated hot springs
to be found in the state! A main focus of the trip will be to examine
the many edible, medicinal, and utilitarian uses of the plants found
on our daily treks. Botanical I.D tips will be given in the field, and
hands-on teaching activities will take place back at camp. This trip
is being offered through the volunteer based desert conservation
group: Desert Survivors.

Dates: April 15-18 (Fri-Mon)

Location: Sespe Wilderness (near Frazier Park, CA)

Trip Leader: Tellur Fenner (bluew...@gmail.com) 510.428.1810

Fee: Free! (But see website below for more registration details).

Website: http://www.desert-survivors.org/member.html

EDIBLE PLANTS OF THE BAY AREA
(Spring Session: Roots and Greens)

The indigenous peoples of California knew more than a little about
utilizing the abundance of food resources around them, both plant and
animal. Happily, some of this knowledge has been retained, and with a
little effort there are many ways of utilizing native foods that will
appeal to our modern palates! The first part of the day will consist
of a lecture/slideshow highlighting many of the more common (and
lesser known) wild edible plants of the region. Unique identification
characteristics of the chosen plants will be highlighted in order to
eliminate any confusion with less savory/toxic look-alikes. Plant
family characteristics, harvesting/preparation methods, wildcrafting
ethics, and basic nutritional profiles of the plants will be covered
as well. The later half of class will be spent preparing and sampling
a number of tasty wild food dishes. Although certainly not fast food,
wild edibles are nutrient dense and are found in surprising abundance
around the cities of the bay area.

Date/Time: April 23. 10am-4pm

Location: Point Reyes National Seashore Visitor Center (Red Barn
Classroom)

Instructor: Tellur Fenner

Fee: $60 members/ $80 non-members

Make sure to bring: Water, lunch, notebook, hat/sunscreen, rain gear,
and a camera.

Registration:

Website: http://www.ptreyes.org/fieldseminars/seminarlistnaturalworld.shtml
Phone: (415) 663.1200 ext. 373

2nd ANNUAL BUCKEYE GATHERING:
TRADITIONAL ARTS & PRIMITIVE LIVING SKILLS CONVERGENCE

I'll be teaching a variety of workshops and running an herbal first-
aid station throughout the week at this 300+ person event. This is
great opportunity to learn a variety of practical hands-on skills in
Nature's classroom! Check out Buckeye Gathering's website for more
details:

Dates: May 1-7
Location: Forestville, CA (Sonoma County)
Website/Registration info: http://www.buckeyegathering.net/joomla/

PLANTS OF MT. DIABLO: IDENTIFICATION AND MEDICINAL USE
(Weekend Campout and Field Exploration)

With its seasonal waterfalls, high elevation peaks, and glorious
spring wildflower displays, Mt. Diablo is one of the Bay Area’s
premier natural destinations. Because of the diversity of the varied
environments on the mountain, there is a corresponding cornucopia of
beautiful and useful native plants in several different plant
communities. Highlights include oak woodlands, chaparral, grasslands,
riparian corridors, and rock outcrops, with a wide array of unique
wildflowers, shrubs, and trees (some endemic to the region). Join us
on this weekend intensive as we explore many of these habitats while
learning about the plants which grow there. We will spend the morning
and afternoon hiking and botanizing, while engaging in a variety of
hand-on activities during the evening hours. Topics/activities to be
covered include: plant identification, medicinal/edible/utilitarian
uses, plant family characteristics, ethical harvesting guidelines and
information about at-risk medicinal plants (no plants will be picked
during the course as they are protected within the state park’s
boundaries), safety issues and tips on how to avoid toxic/poisonous
plants, medicine making techniques, microscope sessions for closely
observing plant features, natural fibers, primitive fire making
techniques, sampling of a variety of edible/medicinal plant
preparations, and more!

Dates: May 13-15
Fee: $120 (Plus camping fee of $7 to $15 total, depending on number of
students. Meals not included.)
Location: Mt. Diablo State Park
Instructor: Tellur Fenner
Registration:
Email: bluew...@gmail.com
Phone: 510-428-1810
Website: www.bluewindbmc.com

(Pre-registration required!)
Meet-up/Departure Time:
We will meet up between 6pm and 8pm on Friday night (May 13th) at
Juniper Campground within the park. The park gate is locked after
sunset (between 8:00pm-8:30pm), so plan to arrive before this. If you
cannot make it out Friday night, plan to arrive in camp by 8:30am
Saturday morning (May 14th). Class ends at 6pm on Sunday (May 15th).

Directions/Map link: http://www.mdia.org/spmap.htm

To Bring:
Since this is a car-camping trip, no serious backpacking gear is
necessary. Things that are necessary are: Tent, Sleeping Bag, Rain
Gear, Warm Clothes, Hiking Boots, Hat/Sunscreen, Daypack, Food/Snacks
(class fee does not include meals), Camp Stove, Camping Chair, Camping
Pad, Flashlight, Water Bottles, Firewood/Charcoal, and most
importantly...a sense of adventure!

Optional (yet recommended): Notebook, Camera, and a Hand Lens.

Recommended (but not required) Texts:
Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West by Michael Moore
Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West by Michael Moore
Botany in a Day by Thomas Elpel
California Plant Families by Glenn Keator
Poisonous Plants of California by Fuller and McClintock
The Flowering Plants and Ferns of Mount Diablo California by Ertter
and Bowerman

*Interested, but don’t have a car? Inquire about carpooling options.

MEDICINAL PLANTS OF CALIFORNIA:
PROPAGATION, CULTIVATION, AND PREPARATION METHODS

With the popularity of herbal medicine increasing at an exponential
rate in the U.S, real concerns arise with regard to the sustainability
of the practice. Back east, sustained high demand for industry
favorites such as Goldenseal, Black Cohosh, American Ginseng, and
Echinacea have left once thriving plant communities on the brink of
extinction. Unethical harvesting practices in conjunction with ever
increasing urban and agricultural expansion are the main culprits in
this tragedy. Here in the west, we are starting to see some of these
same impacts on our own unique medicinal plant communities. Obviously,
in a liberal minded urban center such as the Bay Area we would be in
serious trouble if all those interested in plant medicine traveled to
the outlying areas to harvest. To remedy this dilemma it is imperative
that we begin to expand our cultivation of such useful plants in
yards, gardens, and other areas around the cities where we live. This
class will take place on a “converted” urban plot which has undergone
such a transformation. Many of the more popular (and lesser known)
medicinal plants of California will be covered in the class including
both natives and "weeds". Each student will take home a medicinal
plant cutting from the garden in addition to an herbal product s/he
helped prepare.

Date/Time: May 21. 10am-6pm
Fee: $70
Location: Berkeley, CA
Instructors: Tellur Fenner / Glenn Keator
Registration:
Email: bluew...@gmail.com
Phone: 510-428-1810
Website: www.bluewindbmc.com

EDIBLE AND MEDICINAL “WEEDS” OF THE BAY AREA

Non-native invasive plant species are the bane to many gardeners,
landscapers, and other such plant enthusiasts...but not to those who
know better! In fact, many so called “weeds” are actually quite useful
as either wild foods or medicines. Because they thrive on disturbed
soils, these plants abound in areas of high population density and can
be found in great abundance in and around the cities of the San
Francisco Bay Area. Due to their damaging effects on native plant
habitats, their harvest and use makes practical sense and should
always be encouraged over the use of our own native species. In this
way, we help to restore and preserve our native plant communities at
the same time as restoring and preserving our own health! Come join us
as we learn how to better utilize these vilified urban renegades that
are so often needlessly wasted. This class includes a lecture/
slideshow, a large selection of live plant samples, edible/medicinal
plant tasting, and botanical I.D lessons along the nearby trails of
Point Reyes National Seashore.

Date/Time: May 22. 10am-4pm

Location: Point Reyes National Seashore Visitor Center (Red Barn
Classroom)

Instructor: Tellur Fenner

Registration:

Website: http://www.ptreyes.org/fieldseminars/seminarlistnaturalworld.shtml

Phone: (415) 663.1200 ext. 373

Fee: $60 members/ $80 non-members

Make sure to bring: Water, lunch, notebook, hat/sunscreen, rain gear,
and a camera.

EDIBLE AND MEDICINAL PLANTS OF MENDOCINO COUNTY
(Weekend Campout and Field Exploration)

Just a few hours north of the cities of the Bay Area exists a wild and
rugged landscape of great beauty and exceptional biodiversity.
Sparsely populated, Mendocino County is comprised of immense, forested
wilderness tracts which are penetrated by a series of cool, crystal
clear rivers. Between the mist shrouded coastal redwood forests and
the 6000’+ North Coast Range peaks to the east, a large number of
plant communities can be found, including: Dunes, Salt Marsh, Fresh
Water Marsh, Coastal Prairie, Oak Woodland, Chaparral, Yellow Pine
Forest, Sub-Alpine Red Fir Forest, Vernal Pools, etc. Join us on this
3 day weekend intensive as we travel between these stark ecological
extremes while learning about the rich flora encountered along the
way. We will spend the morning and early afternoon hiking and
botanizing, while engaging in a variety of hands-on activities later
in the day back at our base-camp outside of Laytonville. Topics/
activities to be covered include: plant identification, regional
ethnobotany, medicinal/edible/utilitarian uses, plant family
characteristics, natural history, ethical harvesting of both edible
and medicinal plants, medicine making activities, wild-food
preparation, coverage of at-risk medicinal plants, safety issues and
tips on how to avoid toxic/poisonous plants, microscope sessions for
closely observing plant features, sampling of a variety of edible/
medicinal plant preparations, and more! The occasional relaxing river
float and socializing around the glow of a night-time campfire are a
couple other activities to expect during our time together.

Dates: May 27-30
Fee: $180 (Meals not included.)
Location: Near Laytonville, CA (Mendocino County)
Instructor: Tellur Fenner
Registration:
Email: bluew...@gmail.com
Phone: 510-428-1810
Website: www.bluewindbmc.com

(Pre-registration required!)

Meet-up/Departure Time:
We will meet up between 6pm and 9pm on Friday night (May 27th) at our
base-camp near Laytonville, CA. If you cannot make it out Friday
night, plan to arrive in camp by 8:30am Saturday morning (May 28th).
Class ends at 6pm on Monday (May 30th).

Directions: Will be emailed to you upon registration.
Map Link for general area: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Laytonville&state=CA

To Bring:
Since this is a car-camping trip, no serious backpacking gear is
necessary. Things that are necessary are: Tent, Sleeping Bag, Rain
Gear, Warm Clothes, Bathing Suit, Hiking Boots, Hat/Sunscreen,
Daypack, Food/Snacks (class fee does not include meals), Camp Stove,
Camping Chair, Tube/Raft (for river float), Camping Pad, Flashlight,
Water Bottles, Firewood, and most importantly...a sense of adventure!

Optional (yet recommended): Notebook, Camera, Hand Lens, and Alcohol/
Oil/Jars/Pruners (for medicine making activities).

Recommended (but not required) Texts:
Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West by Michael Moore
Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West by Michael Moore
Botany in a Day by Thomas Elpel
California Plant Families by Glenn Keator
Poisonous Plants of California by Fuller and McClintock

*Interested, but don’t have a car? Inquire about carpooling options.

EDIBLE AND MEDICINAL PLANTS OF SONOMA COUNTY
(Weekend Campout and Field Exploration)

Although best known for its famous vineyards and the plant Vitis
vinifera (Common Grape Vine), Sonoma County also happens to be home
for quite a variety of other very useful (but often overlooked)
plants. Traveling from the mouth of the Russian River as it empties
into the Pacific Ocean eastward to the top of Mt. St. Helena (at
4344’), one can witness a stunning array of botanical specimens
growing in a number of different habitats. Join us on this weekend
intensive as we travel between coastline and mountaintop while
learning about the rich flora encountered along the way. We will spend
the morning and early afternoon hiking and botanizing, while engaging
in a variety of hands-on activities later in the day back at our base-
camp outside of Occidental. Topics/activities to be covered include:
plant identification, regional ethnobotany, medicinal/edible/
utilitarian uses, plant family characteristics, natural history,
ethical harvesting of both edible and medicinal plants, medicine
making activities, wild-food preparation, coverage of at-risk
medicinal plants, safety issues and tips on how to avoid toxic/
poisonous plants, sampling of a variety of edible/medicinal plant
preparations, and more! The occasional relaxing river float and
socializing around the glow of a night-time campfire are a couple
other activities to expect during our time together.

Dates: June 3-5
Fee: $120 (Meals not included)
Location: Near Occidental, CA (Sonoma County)
Instructor: Tellur Fenner
Registration:
Email: bluew...@gmail.com
Phone: 510-428-1810
Website: www.bluewindbmc.com

(Pre-registration required!)

Meet-up/Departure Time:
We will meet up between 6pm and 9pm on Friday night (June 3rd) at our
base-camp near Occidental, CA. If you cannot make it out Friday night,
plan to arrive in camp by 8:30am Saturday morning (June 4th). Class
ends at 6pm on Sunday (June 5th).

Directions: Will be emailed to you upon registration.
Map Link for general area: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Occidental&state=CA

[...]

THE HAZARDS: POISONOUS PLANTS OF THE BAY AREA

Whether you endeavor to harvest, prepare, and use plant foods/
medicines or simply wish to embark on leisurely strolls through the
woods, it is CRITICAL that you learn about those plants which can harm
or even kill you. Knowledge is power, and the goal of this class is to
raise students’ awareness about the more commonly encountered
poisonous plants found growing in and around the San Francisco Bay
Area. Toxic ornamentals, invasives, and native plant representatives
will all be covered. Special emphasis will be placed on
differentiating poisonous plants from their beneficial edible/
medicinal counterparts. Participants will not only be protecting
themselves, but will be ensuring the safety of their families,
friends, and pets as well. Class will consist of a lecture/slideshow,
a large selection of live plant samples, and botanical I.D lessons
along the nearby trails of Point Reyes National Seashore.

Date/Time: June 18th. 10am-4pm

Location: Point Reyes National Seashore Visitor Center (Red Barn
Classroom)

Instructor: Tellur Fenner

Registration:

Website: http://www.ptreyes.org/fieldseminars/seminarlistnaturalworld.shtml

Phone: (415) 663.1200 ext. 373

Fee: $60 members/ $80 non-members

Make sure to bring: Water, lunch, notebook, hat/sunscreen, rain gear,
and a camera.

Одговори свима
Одговори аутору
Проследи