ANN: Python-Blosc2 2.2.0 is out!

1 view

Francesc Alted

Apr 4, 2023, 12:28:56 PM4/4/23
to Blosc
Announcing Python-Blosc2 2.2.0
==============================

We have added support for bytedelta, a new filter that normally leads to better compression ratios. We have blogged about bytedelta here: https://www.blosc.org/posts/bytedelta-enhance-compression-toolset/

We also have a short video on how bytedelta works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OXs7w2x6nw

Also, see our blog on C-Blosc2 NDim counterpart: https://www.blosc.org/posts/blosc2-ndim-intro/

For more info, you can have a look at the release notes in:

https://github.com/Blosc/python-blosc2/releases

More docs and examples are available in the documentation site:

https://www.blosc.org/python-blosc2/python-blosc2.html

## What is it?

Python-Blosc2 is a Python package that wraps C-Blosc2, the newest version of
the Blosc compressor.  Currently Python-Blosc2 already reproduces the API of
Python-Blosc (https://github.com/Blosc/python-blosc), so the former can be
used as a drop-in replacement for the later. However, there are a few exceptions
for full compatibility:
https://github.com/Blosc/python-blosc2/blob/main/RELEASE_NOTES.md#changes-from-python-blosc-to-python-blosc2

Python-Blosc2 comes with NDArray support, which is a new Python class that allows to create multi-dimensional arrays of compressed data.  NDArray follows the same (or very similar) API as NumPy arrays, so it can be used as a drop-in replacement. See the documentation for more details:
https://www.blosc.org/python-blosc2/reference/ndarray_api.html

## Sources repository

The sources and documentation are managed through github services at:

https://github.com/Blosc/python-blosc2

c-blosc2 is distributed using the BSD license, see
https://github.com/Blosc/python-blosc2/blob/main/LICENSE.txt
for details.

## Tweeter feed

Please follow @Blosc2 to get informed about the latest developments.