Francesc Alted

Jun 29, 2021, 3:48:15 AMJun 29
to Blosc
# Announcing C-Blosc2 2.0.1
A fast, compressed and persistent data store library for C.

## What is new?

On behalf of the Blosc team, we are happy to announce the
2.0.1 release of C-Blosc2. As of now, both the API and
the format are declared stable now and hence, apt for its use
in production.

This is a maintenance release for exporting the `blosc2_schunk_fill_special`
function. It should be present in the shared library too. Thanks to
Mark Kittisopikul.

There are a *lot* of new features in C-Blosc2 compared with C-Blosc, its predecessor.
Just have a look at [our RC1 blog](https://www.blosc.org/posts/blosc2-ready-general-review/)
where we list the main improvements, with some historical overview too.

C-Blosc2 should be backward compatible with C-Blosc, so you can start using it
right away and increasingly start to use its new functionality, like the new filters,
prefilters, super-chunks and frames. See docs in: https://blosc2.readthedocs.io

For more info, please see the release notes in:

https://github.com/Blosc/c-blosc2/blob/master/RELEASE_NOTES.md

Also, there is blog post introducing the most relevant changes in Blosc2:

https://www.blosc.org/posts/blosc2-ready-general-review/

## What is it?

Blosc2 is a high performance data container optimized for binary data. It builds on the shoulders of Blosc, the high performance meta-compressor (https://github.com/c-blosc).

Blosc2 expands the capabilities of Blosc by providing a higher lever container that is able to store many chunks on it (hence the super-block name). It supports storing data on both memory and disk using the same API. Also, it adds more compressors and filters.

## Download sources

The github repository is over here:

https://github.com/Blosc/c-blosc2

Blosc is distributed using the BSD license, see LICENSES/BLOSC2.txt
for details.

## Mailing list

There is an official Blosc mailing list at:

bl...@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.es/group/blosc

## Tweeter feed

Please follow @Blosc2 to get informed about the latest developments.