ANN: C-Blosc 2.0.0 RC1 is released!

Francesc Alted

May 6, 2021, 8:43:20 AM5/6/21
to Blosc
# Announcing C-Blosc2 2.0.0.rc.1
A simple, compressed, fast and persistent data store library for C.

## What is new?

On behalf of the Blosc team, we are happy to announce the first C-Blosc2
release (Release Candidate 1) that is meant to be reviewed by users. As of now
we are declaring both the API and the format frozen, and we are seeking for
feedback from the community so as to better check the library and declare it
apt for its use in production.

There are a *lot* of new features to mentioned here. Just have a look at [our
RC1 blog](https://www.blosc.org/posts/blosc2-ready-general-review/)
where we list
the main improvements, with some historical overview too.

C-Blosc2 should be backward compatible with C-Blosc, so you can start
using it right away and slowly begin to use its new functionality,
like the new filters, prefilters, super-chunks and frames. See docs
in: https://blosc2.readthedocs.io

**IMPORTANT**: Please note that, even if the API and format have been
declared frozen, that does *not* mean that Blosc2 is ready for
production yet: bad bugs can still exist at this stage. So *do not
assume* that your blosc2 data can be read with future versions. This
is just a call for general review of the library.

For more info, please see the release notes in:

https://github.com/Blosc/c-blosc2/blob/master/RELEASE_NOTES.md

Also, there is blog post introducing the most relevant changes in Blosc2:

https://www.blosc.org/posts/blosc2-ready-general-review/

## What is it?

Blosc2 is a high performance data container optimized for binary data.
It builds on the shoulders of Blosc, the high performance
meta-compressor (https://github.com/c-blosc).

Blosc2 expands the capabilities of Blosc by providing a higher lever
container that is able to store many chunks on it (hence the
super-block name). It supports storing data on both memory and disk
using the same API. Also, it adds more compressors and filters.

## Download sources

The github repository is over here:

https://github.com/Blosc/c-blosc2

Blosc is distributed using the BSD license, see LICENSES/BLOSC2.txt
for details.

## Mailing list

There is an official Blosc mailing list at:

bl...@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.es/group/blosc

## Tweeter feed

Please follow @Blosc2 to get informed about the latest developments.

Enjoy Data!
- The Blosc Development Team

--
Francesc Alted

Han Genuit

May 6, 2021, 9:04:42 AM5/6/21
to bl...@googlegroups.com
Good news, Francesc, congratulations! :-D

It looks like quite a bit of sweat and many tears went into this release; hopefully it will garner a lot of interest. The list of features is impressive!

Cheers,
Han

Valentin Haenel

May 6, 2021, 9:48:55 AM5/6/21