August and September Geocaching Events!

Jessica Falkenthal

Aug 6, 2011, 3:24:42 PM8/6/11
to Bloomington Geocachers

Facebook Group
A few people asked me to setup a Facebook group, so that people could meet, share and discuss geocaching stuff on Facebook. Our Facebook Page that we've had going has been great for announcements, but not informal discussions. Use it to ask for hints on caches you can't find or see if anyone's interested in going geocaching sometime with you. It is intended to be more social than what we have here on our e-mail list. So here it is: http://www.facebook.com/groups/133110390112003/ Feel free to join if you're interested.

Events
If you've never attended a geocaching event before, the August and September events are the perfect opportunity. They're very family-friendly and will have a wide-range of people. When you're on the event cache page, click on "log your visit" and then change the Type of Log to "Will Attend." This helps me anticipate how many people might be coming. It's okay to change your mind later! Then after the event, you can log the event as "Attended" and it counts as a geocache find!

International Geocaching Day Party in the Park
Saturday, August 20th, 12-3pm at Winslow Woods Park (off of Highland Ave, across from the YMCA)
August 20th is the first annual International Geocaching Day!  We'll be celebrating a great hobby from 12-3pm at Winslow Woods Park with a picnic potluck.
This is a great opportunity to meet new and more seasoned geocachers from around Indiana, get some tips for some geocaches you can't find, and find some new friends to go geocaching with. We have a lot of new geocachers in the area that started this summer that we'd like to welcome to our area!
There is a playground for the kids next to the shelter and a very low terrain .74 mile Nature Trail that starts next to the shelter for you to enjoy. I'm sure there might be a few new geocaches popping up in the area as well. There's also a few grills if you want to grill out!
Don't have something to bring to share? Then just bring your own picnic lunch or McDonald's food for you and your family.
Please list in your RSVP/cache note what you're planning to bring & how many people.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC31HZG

2011 Indiana Geocaching Fall Picnic-10 Year Celebration
Saturday, September 10th, 9am-5:30pm, Spring Mill State Park (28 miles south of Bloomington)
The Indiana Geocaching Fall Picnic is held annually in Southern Indiana and more than 300 geocachers from all over the state to meet, greet and celebrate this fun hobby we participate in. More information about the event is at https://sites.google.com/site/2011indianafallpicnic/ Can't make it for the entire event? No problem, stop by when you can for a fun time! They also make some really nice re-useable geocaching name tags every year, so make sure to register on their site! It's free! (Parking inside of a state park requires a state park pass or $5 a vehicle) We'll try to setup a carpool.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2MY3Y

2011 Indiana Fall Picnic Meet & Greet
Friday, September 9th, 7-10pm, Spring Mill State Park
Held the night before every Indiana Fall Picnic is the Meet & Greet. This year will feature a nacho bar pitch-in and a night caching activity. Bring a flashlight.
I attended this 2 years ago and the night caching activity was one of the most memorable geocaching events I have attended in the past 7 years! Definitely worth attending.

Hope to see you at an upcoming event! Let me know if you have any questions!

Jess (Mickey4Jes)