Geocaching on Leap Day- Help us break a world record!

Jessica Falkenthal

Feb 23, 2012, 3:33:27 PM2/23/12
to Bloomington Geocachers
Leap Day Record- Help Break a Record for the Number of Geocachers Finding a Geocache on a Specific Day!
As mentioned on the Geocaching.com Blog, the geocaching community worldwide is trying to break a record for the number of geocachers who log a geocache find on a specific day. Even if you can't attend an event next Wednesday, see if you can help out by finding and logging one of the hundreds of geocaches in Bloomington or wherever you are on that Wednesday! You'll also receive a special Leap Day Souvenir on your geocaching.com profile for finding a cache on that day!

Leap Day Flash Mob & Bowling - Wednesday February 29th at precicely 6:00pm
In honor of the leap year, we are hosting a Flash Mob event followed by a bowling party at the IMU Back Alley!
The flash mob will be a "Micro Marathon" on the west side of campus. The whole flash mob will take 15 minutes and the bowling will be from 6:30-8:30pm. Some of the details are below, but the full list of instructions and details can be found here: http://coord.info/GC3C8HE

The "Race"
This "race" will begin at Sample Gates, and end at Dunn Meadow. Yes, that's it! The shortest race you'll ever be a part of. When you arrive you will have to "register" by logging the log book and picking up a runner's number and attaching it to your shirt. After the race is over we will have a quick "awards" ceremony (group photo) and then it's over! Like most 5Ks and 10Ks, you don't have to run to participate. Both walkers and runners are welcome! Please treat this like a real race and dress appropriately. The more realistic it looks, the better reactions we'll get from everyone who's not involved. More information is available at http://coord.info/GC3C8HE

GeoBowling Party- Wednesday, February 29 6:30-8:30pm
Our second geocaching event of the day will be held at the Indiana Memorial Union's Back Alley Bowling Alley. http://coord.info/GC3CJJD
$5 will get you unlimited bowling (and shoe rentals) for 2 hours. There is also an arcade and several pool tables that you can play with.
Parking: All attendees receive 3 hours free parking at the IMU Parking Lot (Be sure to bring your parking ticket with you to the bowling alley for it to get stamped). If you are coming from the Flash Mob event prior to this event, it is ok to leave your car at the parking lot behind Noodles.
Even if you don't plan to bowl, please feel free to come to chat and hang out with us! RSVPs on the cache page would be very helpful, so that Alex has an estimate for how many lanes to reserve!

Facebook Group
A few people asked me to setup a Facebook group, so that people could meet, share and discuss geocaching stuff on Facebook. Our Facebook Page that we've had going has been great for announcements, but not informal discussions. Use it to ask for hints on caches you can't find or see if anyone's interested in going geocaching sometime with you. It is intended to be more social than what we have here on our e-mail list. So here it is: http://www.facebook.com/groups/133110390112003/ Feel free to join if you're interested.

Hope to see you at an upcoming event! Let me know if you have any questions!

Jess (Mickey4Jes)