Upcoming Geocaching Canoe Event in 11 days!

Jessica Falkenthal

Sep 19, 2012, 6:31:38 PM9/19/12
to Bloomington Geocachers

Last Voyage for The Pirates of Pine Grove
Sunday, September 30th at 10am
Do you enjoy mud, getting messy, canoeing, pirates, and geocaches that are big enough to trade items? We've got an awesome event for you. On Sunday, September 30th, we're holding a canoeing & caching event at Lake Monroe! The caches are all pirate-themed & hidden on islands near the Pine Grove Boat Ramp at Lake Monroe. Plus as an added treat, we will probably head to the Scenic View Restaurant afterwards. (and they have a new Scenic View branch open 2 minutes away from the boat ramp- the Trail Head Market & Noshery that has some super yummy breakfast burritos, sandwiches, desserts, snacks, and pizza to bring in your canoe.)

Want a preview of what's in store for our canoeing adventure? Check out our video of the first Pirates of Pine Grove event we had 2 years ago to see what's in store for you in terms of mud and terrain! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7pPudEWV7s  Or you can view photos of our last Pirates of Pine Grove event at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2ECFQ Except we have some newer caches out here for a total of 17 geocaches!

FYI for those interested. Most of the caches cannot be reached from within your canoe. You will use your canoe to get to the islands that have geocaches on them. Thus you cannot sit in your canoe all day if you want to find a geocache! :P You will get muddy.

MonsterCatAmbush (the event organizer) requests that you put a "Will Attend" log on the event cache page, so we have an idea of how many we might be expecting and who might need a canoe http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3WZ0T If enough people express interest on the event page that don't have canoes, we might be able to get some extra from somewhere or find extra seats in the canoes we have.

Whitewater Valley Caching Adventure
If you're looking for a different kind of geocaching fun next weekend, check out the Whitewater Valley Caching Adventure in Metamora, Indiana. There are a series of different events going on throughout Friday and Saturday including a canal boat cruise, hiking event, pitch-in dinner, s'mores and more s'mores.
Friday, 9/28
Friday 7:00pm >> WVCA: S'mores and More Kickoff Event (GC3T9J1)
Saturday, 9/29
Saturday 8:30am >> WVCA: Trailmix! (GC3RP1X)
Saturday 10:00am >> WVCA: Introduction to Caching (GC3RGKR)
Saturday 12:45pm >> WVCA: Bon Voyage (GC3R8NR)
Saturday 5:00pm >> WVCA: Saturday Evening Social (GC3NVAF)
Saturday 9:30pm >> WVCA: End of Day Campfire Social (GC3WHX2)

Facebook Group
A few people asked me to setup a Facebook group, so that people could meet, share and discuss geocaching stuff on Facebook. Our Facebook Page that we've had going has been great for announcements, but not informal discussions. Use it to ask for hints on caches you can't find or see if anyone's interested in going geocaching sometime with you. It is intended to be more social than what we have here on our e-mail list. So here it is: http://www.facebook.com/groups/133110390112003/ Feel free to join if you're interested.

Hope to see you at an upcoming event! Let me know if you have any questions!

Jess (Mickey4Jes)