Geocaching Challenge at Monroe Lake on Saturday!

Jessica Falkenthal

Feb 3, 2012, 2:32:34 AM2/3/12
to Bloomington Geocachers

First Annual Reservoir Ramble Geocache Challenge
Starts at Paynetown Recreation Area on the northside of Lake Monroe!
This is an official event at Lake Monroe, sponsored by Indiana State Parks & Reservoirs. The Challenge starts at the Paynetown SRA Office (4850 S. SR 446, Bloomington). You may begin anytime between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. All cachers who complete the entire Challenge by 4 p.m. will be entered into a drawing to win a 2012 Annual Entrance Pass for Indiana State Parks & Reservoirs.

It’s “year one” of this geocaching event, so we’re going to begin with a Challenge that will take you on a tour of every public recreation area on Lake Monroe (plus a couple of less well-known spots). It’s a BIG reservoir, so be prepared to do a lot of driving - carpooling with your fellow cachers is encouraged! After you reach each location, the caches themselves will require only minimal walking.

In future years, the Challenge will take you deeper into individual recreation areas on the reservoir – so mark your calendar for the 1st Saturday of February every year!

Leap Day Flash Mob & Bowling
Save the evening of February 29th around 6pm-ish on your calendar for an upcoming geocaching event put on by the Geocaching Club at IU. It will be a quick flash mob event followed by the optional after-event of bowling at the Indiana Memorial Union on campus. Alex Lemont has hooked up the group with a very low group rate, so it should be super cheap.

Leap Day Record- Help Break a Record for the Number of Geocachers Finding a Geocache on a Specific Day!
As mentioned on the Geocaching.com Blog, the geocaching community worldwide is trying to break a record for the number of geocachers who log a geocache find on a specific day. Even if you can't attend the event, see if you can help out by finding and logging one of the hundreds of geocaches in Bloomington or wherever you are on that Wednesday! You'll also receive a special Leap Day Souvenir on your geocaching.com profile for finding a cache on that day!

Facebook Group
A few people asked me to setup a Facebook group, so that people could meet, share and discuss geocaching stuff on Facebook. Our Facebook Page that we've had going has been great for announcements, but not informal discussions. Use it to ask for hints on caches you can't find or see if anyone's interested in going geocaching sometime with you. It is intended to be more social than what we have here on our e-mail list. So here it is: http://www.facebook.com/groups/133110390112003/ Feel free to join if you're interested.

Hope to see you at an upcoming event! Let me know if you have any questions!

Jess (Mickey4Jes)