so, php then...

Lawrence McAlpin

Jun 16, 2010, 8:41:50 PM6/16/10
to bloomington, indiana php user group
So, what is this PHP user group going to do? Shall we start a
discussion?

Here are a few topics I wouldn't mind discussing:

Can anyone recommend a good plugin/extension - or backwards compatible
alternative - to Smarty that allows for template inheritance?

Does anyone have good experience with an Object Relational Mapping
tool on PHP? I was looking into Doctrine because of my experience
using Hibernate for Java. Does anyone have an opinion about that
tool?

Has anyone tried anything exotic like deploying their PHP webapp for
free using Google App Engine (which only runs Python or Java code), by
way of a Java or Python-based PHP interpreter? Does anyone want to?

Is PHP the ugliest language ever developed, or does that title
rightfully belong to Perl or Lisp?

Cal Evans

Jun 16, 2010, 10:09:18 PM6/16/10
to bloomington-india...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I can only answer to two of these.

ORM:
While I don't personally use one, if I did use one, Doctrine would be
the one I would use. Mainly because I know the lead developer and a
couple of the other developers. They are good people and seem to be
headed in the right direction. The lead developer, Jonathan Wage, has
been tweeting about implementing MongoDB support in Doctrine. That
would rock.

PHP
No, it's not ugly at all. Personally I find it elegant because it
doesn't force me into any paradigms. I can do procedural or OO, I can
use a framework or not. It just really depends on what I am trying to
do.

My $.02,
=C=

chancegarcia

Jun 17, 2010, 9:01:20 AM6/17/10
to bloomington, indiana php user group
A google group being used for discussion...the idea is so novel, it
just might work. =D

I'm mainly a Zend Framework user so my solution to your Smarty
question is that I know that ZF can use Smarty in its views which
would allow you to have a reusable layout. I don't know if Smarty does
layouts, when I used it I inherited the project and it wasn't using
any sort of layout. I never delved further to see if it could.

I'm leaning with Cal on Doctrine, I don't know any of the devs but
when I was looking into ORM tools, Doctrine was at the top of my
considerations. Then again, I'm seeing ZF using a data mapper with
table gateway for things.

While we're on it, can someone tell me what the difference between
doing data mapper vs ORM? They kinda seem the same thing to me.

The Google App Engine thing is intriguing and sounds fun, though there
is a difference between wanting to and having time to. D=

PHP is only as ugly as you want to make it. As much as I cringe at
some of my old spaghetti madness, it reminds me of how far I've come
along in my development evolution.

Lawrence McAlpin

Jun 17, 2010, 10:13:11 AM6/17/10
to bloomington-india...@googlegroups.com
Well, I'm not that familiar with Zend. I wrote a custom website for my
brother's webcomic, http://multiplexcomic.com/, which uses some Zend APIs,
but not the Zend_Db_Table stuff. Or the views. It's mostly Glue + Smarty.
So I may be wrong, but:

My understanding is that Zend_Db_Table is an implementation of the Table
Data Gateway pattern:
http://martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/tableDataGateway.html

The approach I prefer is the Active Record pattern, kind of like Ruby's
ActiveRecord or Java's Hibernate (which is far superior):
http://martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/activeRecord.html

And Smarty doesn't appear to support layouts. I had to {include} the header
and footer on each page which is pure silliness.

chancegarcia

Jun 17, 2010, 10:49:38 AM6/17/10
to bloomington, indiana php user group
You are correct sir. Zend_Db_Table is an implementation of Table Data
Gateway. The oddity is the Quick Start guide shows and guides you
through creating a Data Mapper for use with the Zend_Db_Table object
which makes me suspect it may head in that direction for 2.0 (I'm a
bit remiss in looking into any of the 2.0 related stuff). I've been
building in mapping into my models for my projects.

I thought Smarty would be doing something silly like that. ZF's layout
stuff is pretty hot, I recommend looking into that. After all, the
best part of ZF is you can pick and choose what parts you use. I found
it easier to convert to their MVC rather than piecemeal parts of the
lib into the homebrew MVC I had before.