Master/Slaves in Bloom

Luiz Camargo

Apr 18, 2016, 10:35:46 AM4/18/16
to Bloom Language
I am starting in Bloom.

How to use a certain number of slaves, for example 3 slaves and 1 master?

Thanks

Peter Alvaro

Apr 18, 2016, 12:19:23 PM4/18/16
to bloom...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luis,

I prefer the terminology "Primary/Backup" to "Master/Slave."

Bloom is a general-purpose language for distributed systems.  It should (hopefully) make it easy to implement various primary/backup protocols (it is a large design space), but there is no built-in support for a particular paradigm.  It might be worthwhile to look in the bud-sandbox (https://github.com/bloom-lang/bud-sandbox) for examples of infrastructures that use replication (eg, the shopping cart, which used the multicast protocols also defined in the sandbox).

Hope this helps,

Peter

Jeff Bone

Apr 18, 2016, 12:23:04 PM4/18/16
to bloom...@googlegroups.com

Just an opinion and not a strongly-held one at that, but...  I suspect that “master/slave” terminology is much more common in practice with actual systems than primary/backup.  Further backup in particular is a semantically loaded term which might not actually be an appropriate synonym for slave in all, or even most, uses of this pattern.

If the desire to avoid that terminology is somehow driven by concerns of PC, it might be worth pointing out:  these are, after all, machines and software mechanisms.  ;-)

jb
signature.asc

Peter Alvaro

Apr 18, 2016, 12:36:04 PM4/18/16
to bloom...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the lesson.

I will not use the terms master/slave.  kindly don't make me explain why.  there is lots of terminology that is "common in practice" but shouldn't be.

if you are replicating computation rather than data and feel that "backup" connotes the wrong thing, I am fine with leader/follower too.

thanks,

peter

Luiz Camargo

May 3, 2016, 5:09:02 PM5/3/16
to Bloom Language, pal...@gmail.com
Ok Guys

I don't know about Primary/Backup term (I know terms as server/client and master/slave), but this does not matter. What matters is do the application work.
Now, I feel comfortable to ask about Bloom.

Thank you so much
Muito Obrigado (in Portuguese)

Att.
Luiz Camargo