Re: my first successful example in bloom and some questions about bloom

Joe Hellerstein

Dec 4, 2012, 3:58:30 AM12/4/12
to bloom...@googlegroups.com
Dillon, sounds great!

Your question is a very good one.  I believe that Bloom is a reasonable language to consider for a big-data scenario like Storm.  It remains to be seen if the current Bud prototype is up to the job though.  Keep in mind that Bud was not tuned for high-bandwidth data transfer.  My advice would be to use Bud for orchestrating the flows, but plan on eventually using low-level code (maybe even C++ rather than Ruby) for high-bandwidth data movement.

Keep us posted!

Joe

On Dec 3, 2012, at 5:36 PM, Dillon Peng <pengc...@gmail.com> wrote:

hi, all
    Thanks all!
    Up to now, I completely implemented "3.4 A Robust Ring" of p2's user guide pdf  in bloom,
next, I will implement a Chord refer to Implementing Declarative Overlays .
    Of course, I will commit them to my github after finishing Chord!
    But I knew little about bloom's real capability, so I have a question about bloom: (I am sorry if my question is stupid ^_^)
 Bloom can build big data resolution, especially like Storm ?

Neil Conway

Dec 4, 2012, 1:12:29 PM12/4/12
to bloom...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Joe Hellerstein
<helle...@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Your question is a very good one. I believe that Bloom is a reasonable
> language to consider for a big-data scenario like Storm. It remains to be
> seen if the current Bud prototype is up to the job though. Keep in mind
> that Bud was not tuned for high-bandwidth data transfer. My advice would be
> to use Bud for orchestrating the flows, but plan on eventually using
> low-level code (maybe even C++ rather than Ruby) for high-bandwidth data
> movement.

Agreed. Ruby wouldn't be my first choice for building something like
Storm, but a version of Bloom that ran on top of another runtime might
well be appropriate.

With respect to separating management/orchestration from data
movement, the BOOM Analytics paper gives an example of how to do this:
http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/papers/eurosys10-boom.pdf

Neil

Dillon Peng

Dec 4, 2012, 7:55:45 PM12/4/12
to bloom...@googlegroups.com
hi,
        Thanks Joe, Neil!
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Joe Hellerstein

Mar 28, 2013, 2:44:16 AM3/28/13
to bloom...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dillon:
    Thanks for reaching out.  I think a HOP-style implementation with coordination in Bloom and execution in Java makes sense.  The Bloom example code that I remember is something I hacked together very quickly one day, and I'm not sure it makes a great starting point.

If you decide to pursue this direction, do stay in touch.

Joe

On 3/26/2013 7:29 AM, Dillon Peng wrote:
hi, all
   Thank all!

    I have already implemented a Chord (based on Implementing Declarative Overlays ), next I will upload the source code to my github.
    As I mentioned in previous post, I thought whether I can design a Stream Processing Engine like storm, but,  after reading and practicing some storm, and HOP,
I have a new idea that whether I can use Bloom and Java (for plan) to implement a real-time MapReduce( as title described ) based on the Bloom's example MapReduce, Or said whether I can re-implement HOP and modify HOP to process external real-time data stream (not depending HDFS like stock Hadoop).?

   Maybe my idea is crazy, any advice will be appreciated!  Thanks a lot in advance!

BEST REGARDS
PengCZ

Dillon Peng

Mar 28, 2013, 7:11:58 AM3/28/13
to bloom...@googlegroups.com
hi, Joe
    Thank you very much,     Your reply gave me encouragement and confidence!
     I will post my plan recently. Any one who interested in this will be welcomed!

BEST REGARDS
PengCZ