Re: Recursive queries

Peter Alvaro

Dec 5, 2012, 12:13:00 PM12/5/12
to bloom...@googlegroups.com
if we compare bloom to something like nonrecursive sql, it is strictly more expressive.  for example, you can take the transitive closure of a relation in bloom but not in sql.

if we compare bloom to an imperative language, recursion allows us to express computations that would otherwise require iteration.

local atemporal recursion (using <=) occurs (perhaps surprisingly) infrequently in the libraries and applications I have written in bloom.

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Jim Duey <jd...@lonocloud.com> wrote:
Hi all.

I'm trying to get my head around the ideas in Bloom and one thing I'm just not getting is what being able to do recursive queries using <= buys you. Is there a good explanation of that already or can someone clue me in here?

Thanks,
Jim Duey