On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Péter Zsoldos <peter....@gmail.com>
finally got around to moving a site to blogofile, and I have ran into some problems.
Thanks for trying blogofile, and especially thanks for taking the time to give constructive feedback on the issues you found!
Either forum works - I see them both in email. I think you've made the right choices on these. Issue 18 looks like a pretty clear bug, so the issue tracker is a great place for that. lxml vs BeautifulSoup is more question-ish, and the forum/mail-list is ideal for that.
I wanted to use the excerpts functionality on windows (7, pytohn 2.7.1x86). Unfortunately it requires lxml, which is notoriously unsupported on windows (http://lxml.de/FAQ.html#where-are-the-binary-builds
). Grepping the 0.8b1 blogofile (and blogofile_blog) source code suggests lxml is only ever used in one place (blogofile_blog.site_src._controlles.blog (in the __excerpt method), and it has a rather simple usage (strip html tags)
As an experiment, I've changed to using BeautifulSoup, which installs just fine on windows via pip (pseudo-diff below), and it works just fine for this purpose.
I don't know what was the reason behind choosing lxml, so if there is a reason to keep that as a default implementation, I don't have an issue with that, nor do I have any strong feelings for BS; but I would like to have an easily installable post excerpts dependency on windows. Let me know what you think!
I know I've seen some narrative about lxml vs. BeautifulSoup in Blogofile, but can't recall whether it was in the issue tracker, on this list, or in the commit message. Anyway, IIRC, the issue was that BeautifulSoup didn't work under Python 3. I believe that issue has been resolved, and I think BeautifulSoup is the way to go. Not only is lxml unsupported on Windows, the last time I tried to install it on OS/X it was anything but easy. I think this is a case where the speed of lxml can be sacrificed for the cross-platform availabiltity of BeautifulSoup. Of course, I'd also welcome a pull request that allowed either to be used.
And, of course, if anyone on the list can shed more light on the issue, I'd welcome that too!
Changing to BeautifulSoup for excerpts is on my mental todo list, but I hadn't realized that it was quite as simple as your diff below indicates. A pull request would be the fastest way for you to make this happen!