[WiMAXATL] Clearwire CEO hints at WiMAX Android smartphone

William Higgins

Jan 14, 2010, 2:00:25 PM1/14/10
to bloggin...@googlegroups.com
We have been talking for a while now about the need and desire for CLEAR to release a real mobile handset that can do 3G/4G data with voice. We live in a gadget obsessed culture and that is why you see mobile phones selling so well. In many cases consumers will choose a carrier based on the type of smartphone or device they want to use. The Apple iPhone is a perfect example of this. Some believe that interest in CLEAR 4G WiMAX will increase if there are cool mobile devices that can connect to the 4G network without the need of a USB dongle and/or a portable router.

FierceWireless.com is running a post (Orignal Post) talking about Clearwire CEO Bill Morrow reiterating his company's commitment to launching a dual-mode 3G/WiMAX smartphone in the second half of the year, and hinted that it may run Google's Android platform. Again, you can read the that entire post here: (Orignal Post).

Since Google is an investor in Clearwire it does not surprise us too much that we may see an Android based handset in the near future. We certainly hope that is the case. Having a nice handset on the 4G WiMAX network could be huge for mobile video and other bandwidth intensive applications.

We will continue to keep you all posted on any and all development on this story as we move through 2010.

RingCentral - Complete Phone and Fax Service

--
Posted By William Higgins to WiMAXATL at 1/14/2010 01:04:00 PM