[Blogging WiMAX] Details on the CLEAR WiMAX Backhaul Infrastructure

William Higgins

Jul 27, 2009, 10:30:28 AM7/27/09
to bloggin...@googlegroups.com
Dan Jones over at Unstrung has a nice post that provides some details on CLEAR's backhaul and tower infrastructure. A link to the full article is below.

Ciena in the Clear by Dan Jones

The focus on Dan's post is around the use of Ciena's LE-311v service Delivery Switches and CN 5305 service Aggregation Switches. CLEAR is also using Ciena's Ethernet Services Manager software to manage the remote networks.

If you want to take a peek at what the tower install looks like. Sidecut Reports has a nice little post with pictures of a tower base install in Las Vegas. Hit the link below for the pictures:

Ciena and Clearwire: Together in WiMax

As for the technology at the top of the tower, CLEAR is using Motorola's WAP 400 and WAP 450 Diversity Access Point products. The WAP 400 and WAP 450 utilize tower top power amplifiers linked by their fiber optic cable with the base control unit housed in a small outdoor cabinet situated at the bottom of the tower, creating a very compact cell site configuration significantly smaller than traditional cellular infrastructure products.

Motorola wi4 WiMAX

Well, I know this post is a little tech-heavy but I do get a lot of questions from people that want to know more about how all of this works. I will update this post in the future with any updates or details I find on this topic. If you have a specific question, please leave a comment.

--
Posted By William Higgins to Blogging WiMAX at 7/27/2009 08:54:00 AM