[WiMAXATL] What's on tap for CLEAR WiMAX at CES 2010?

William Higgins

Jan 4, 2010, 8:50:16 AM1/4/10
to bloggin...@googlegroups.com
The 2010 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is going to be held this week, January 7th - 10th, in Las Vegas. CLEAR (or Clearwire to be exact) will have a booth #30779 at the show and I am eager to see what they may be showing off. I would expect that we are going to hear about a few new WiMAX devices and possibly a sneak peak of what is to come in 2010. I don't expect CLEAR to be doing all the announcing, but look for specific manufactures to be doing most of the show and tell.

The biggest WiMAX-related rumor that I have come across that may impact CLEAR is a possible WiMAX-enabled phone by Sprint, LG and Microsoft. Sprint is hosting a "must-attend" event on January 6th, the day before CES starts with Brooke Shields as the host. Sprint CEO Dan Hesse and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer are both said to be speaking at the event, so you can imagine that that this is a major announcement. The fact that this could be WiMAX-related is great news for CLEAR and Sprint. I am still holding out hope for some sort of Android-based WiMAX device at CES, but that may not be very likely. The Google Nexus One phone will be released this week and so far there is no report that it will support WiMAX. Google is still an investor in Clearwire (and WiMAX) so I hope the Nexus One phone is a preview of possible future WiMAX handsets. I know for a fact that there are efforts to provide WiMAX support in the Android OS, but as for a hardware device, nothing has materialized as of yet.

Check back here for updates this week as we get closer to the show!

--
Posted By William Higgins to WiMAXATL at 1/02/2010 09:01:00 PM