Fwd: Wikipedia 10th anniversary celebrations @ Bangalore on Jan 15th , 2011

Srikanth Lakshmanan

Jan 10, 2011, 5:26:30 AM1/10/11
to bangalor...@yahoogroups.com, blogal...@googlegroups.com
Please attend! Also feel free to spread the word around.

Regards,
Srikanth L

wikimedia-logo.png   345px-10mark_k.svg_-254x300.png

All,

Greetings from Team Wikipedia in India.

We write to you on the behalf of Wikimedia / Wikipedian community in India. Wikipedia, the very popular online encyclopaedia being written by volunteers all over the world, is celebrating its tenth anniversary on January 15, 2011

We request your support and participation for the Wikipedia's Tenth anniversary event in Bangalore.

Wikipedia
Wikipedia, the free encylopaedia that anyone can edit, is among the top 5 websites in the world with over 410 million unique visitors across over 270 languages. India with its diversity of languages and being the second largest country in terms of population is now a key focus area for Wikimedia - the foundation that runs the wikipedia project. In just 10 years, wikipedia has become a phenomenon and a ready reckoner for knowledge in the world, not just in English, but in over 270 different languages spoken by human kind. There are already 20 Indic language Wikipedias and another 20 are in incubation.

You can know more about the Indian contribution to Wikipedia on first Wikimedia India community newsletter :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Wikimedia_India_Community_Newsletter_2010_September.pdf

10th anniversary
                  January 15, 2011 will mark a decade of Wikipedia.  Founded by Jimmy Wales in 2001, Wikipedia has become the fifth most popular website in the world with 410 million monthly readers (comScore, November 2010). Just three years after its founding, Wikipedia reached 500,000 articles in 50 languages. Now, at 17 million articles in 270 languages and growing, Wikipedia is the only top-ten website in the world that is truly user-generated, supported and maintained. Over the last ten years , hundreds of thousands of people have contributed more than one billion edits to this vital resource. Wikipedia celebrates its tenth anniversary globally on the 15th of January 2011. Wikimedia will celebrate this milestone with volunteers, donors, and other supporters on six continents. From the launch of a new outreach project in Kenya to a film screening in Tel Aviv, there are currently 110+ events planned worldwide. Our celebration events are open to participation by anyone who wants to join in reflecting on our collective accomplishments and goals for the future.

India celebrations and Bangalore event
Wikipedians and well wishers in India are celebrating the tenth anniversary in a big way, with celebrations being planned 20+ cities across India. Bangalore is one of the active hubs for Wikipedians in India and we regularly meetup at least once per month in Bangalore.

As part of the celebrations, we are organising a day-long meetup in Bangalore on Saturday the 15th of Jan, 2011. We expect it to be attended by about 250 Wikipedia enthusiasts along with Wikimedia Foundation officials and guest speakers. We intend to connect Wikipedians with the general public and other focus groups in the city. There would be sessions to introduce Wikimedia projects to the public with a view to spur both consumption and creation of knowledge on various Wikimedia projects. There would also be updates from various Wikimedia projects as well as joint project planning sessions with various city focus groups. We expect active Wikipedians, academia and any one interested in Wikipedia to participate in the event. In addition, we believe there will be much interest from the Free and Open Source communities and other professionals.

Venue :

National Institute of Advanced Studies,
Indian Institute of Science campus,
Bangalore,
Karnataka, 560012.

Google Maps:

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=National+Institute+of+Advanced+Studies,+Bangalore&sll=21.125498,81.914063&sspn=44.429312,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=National+Institute+of+Advanced+Studies&hnear=National+Institute+of+Advanced+Studies,+Mathikere,+Bengaluru,+Karnataka&ll=13.021618,77.567339&spn=0.046327,0.077162&z=14&iwloc=A

The 9 AM - 4:30 PM event is primarily targeted for regular Wikipedians & Wiki enthusiasts and 5:00 PM event is for the general public. The whole day event is open to ALL

http://ten.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangalore

Some pointers :

http://ten.wikipedia.org

http://ten.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangalore

http://wikimedia.in/wiki/Ten

http://wikimedia.in/wiki/Ten/Bangalore

2010 It has been quite a year for Wikipedia and Wikimedia in India

It was a year that saw at least 31 Wikipedia community meetups in 9 cities. Indian cities Ahmedabad, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata & Mumbai has their first meetups (first documented meetups!). It was a year that saw good participation from Indian wikipedians at Wikimania (Gdansk) and the chapters meeting at Berlin. It was a year that saw the first ever India community news letter and an offline CD. It was a year that saw the first Indian join the Board of Trustees and an Indian wikipedian getting elected as Steward. It was a year that saw the Wikimedia Foundation announce their focus of India as a geography to grow Wikipedia. It was a year that saw the Foundation approve an India chapter formallyMOA getting finalized and the launch of the Wikimedia.in website This year also saw many visits from the foundation - Jimmy WalesErik MöllerDanese Cooper, Alolita Sharma, and Barry Newstead visited many cities in India.

It was also a year of many project milestones(source News on Meta).

We sincerely request your support for this milestone event. We would be happy to provide any further clarifications you might need  and the following people may be contacted.

Srikanth L + 91- 9945098560
Gautam John : +91- 9886042017
Tinu Cherian +91- 9886678124
Arun Ramarathnam +91- 9845147383