Realtime Collaboration

Joshua Lowe

May 3, 2021, 5:04:23 PM5/3/21
to Blockly
Hi everyone!

I've been thinking about getting Realtime Collaboration working with Blockly and I was wondering if this is something people have already explored, either with an off the shelf solution like TogetherJS or something completely custom.

Any guidance or input from people with past experience would be really helpful. :)

Beka Westberg

May 3, 2021, 7:10:07 PM5/3/21
to blo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

There's actually now an example of real-time-collaboration included as part of Blockly-Samples =) I'm not sure how it works, but hopefully it helps you get started! If you have any questions I'm sure the core blockly team would be happy to help.

Best of luck with your project!
--Beka

Mark Friedman

May 3, 2021, 7:30:25 PM5/3/21
to blo...@googlegroups.com
It's worth pointing out that our own Neil Fraser has some very interesting writing dealing with real-time collaboration.  Take a look at the writing at the top of https://neil.fraser.name/writing/.  They deal primarily with real-time collaboration in the context of text docs, but there are similar challenges in Blockly (which also includes some textual elements).

-Mark

ewpa...@gmail.com

May 4, 2021, 3:45:55 PM5/4/21
to Blockly
In addition to the previous comments, there is also a M.Eng. thesis from the MIT App Inventor group on the topic of realtime collaboration, although it uses an older version of Blockly: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AUNoeCnCCANHI4X1RkLXh5RTg/view

Regards,
Evan

Joshua Lowe

May 4, 2021, 5:11:19 PM5/4/21
to Blockly
Thanks everyone for the responses, some interesting things to read and that sample looks exactly like what I was looking for (I didn't realize it existed)!