Looking for feedback: Styling with CSS design proposal

Beka Westberg

Jun 10, 2024, 4:13:13 PMJun 10
to Blockly
Hey'all! I'm looking for feedback on a design document about styling Blockly with CSS.

Here is the overview from the doc:
> We will recommend folks use CSS to style their blocks directly, instead of either of our existing systems. To make this easier, we will add various CSS classes, and hooks for applying CSS classes to blocks.
> Themes will continue to work for backwards compatibility, but we won’t recommend them. You’ll be able to specify everything using CSS instead. Most of the implementation will remain the same, but some parts of the theme will be converted to CSS directly instead of routing through the renderer. This makes the styles easier to override
> We will keep setColour and it will mostly work as it currently does, but we will deprecate it, as there’s no good way to support all of its functionality while supporting styling with css.

It's about a 15 minute read if you want to read the whole thing, but the design portion is about half that.

If you have any feedback on:
  1. How disruptive this would be for you (if at all)
  2. Things you wish you could style about Blockly but currently can't
I would love to hear it! If you have any other feedback I would love to hear that as well :P

Best wishes,
--Beka

ewpa...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2024, 4:44:18 PMJun 11
to Blockly
I am a big fan. I don't think it would break App Inventor and I know that some of our users also apply user-agent stylesheets to style App Inventor, so this would offer them greater flexibility as well.

Cheers,
Evan

Maria Nita

Jun 13, 2024, 11:26:27 AMJun 13
to Blockly
Hi Beka,

This is very very exciting news, our team would greatly benefit from being able to customise blockly styles using CSS! This won't be very disruptive to us at all, I think we'd be able to gradually change all the custom styles over to CSS so all good :)

Also, a big yes to allowing more customisability and classes to be added to fields and field labels in future work. When would this be releasing?

Cheers,
Maria

Beka Westberg

Jun 13, 2024, 12:53:31 PMJun 13
to blo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

> I am a big fan. I don't think it would break App Inventor and I know that some of our users also apply user-agent stylesheets to style App Inventor, so this would offer them greater flexibility as well.
> This is very very exciting news, our team would greatly benefit from being able to customise blockly styles using CSS!

Sweet thank you Evan and Maria :D Appreciate the feedback.

> When would this be releasing?

We don't have a solid estimate, but probably late this year or early next year. Changes to CSS are breaking so it would go into our next major release (v12).

Thank you again! Excited for any further feedback =)
--Beka

Daniel De La Rosa

Jun 13, 2024, 1:02:13 PMJun 13
to Blockly
This is really great! We've been looking into making the blocks have a more professional feel, and this will give us the flexibility to do it easier now.

Thanks!