Does a workspace navigator plugin exist?

Bart Butenaers

Jul 11, 2021, 2:01:09 PM7/11/21
to Blockly
Hello everybody,

I have today used Blockly plugins for the first time, and that was real fun.  With a few lines of code it is possible to add very useful features to a workspace.  I love those plugins...

So now I started wondering if there exist some kind of "navigator" plugin...

My Blockly integration is focussed on Node-RED, which is all about flow-based programming.  The Node-RED flow editor offers a "navigator" panel in the bottom left, where you can see a small live preview of the complete flow:

node-red-navigator.gif
This is very useful if you have a large flow, because then you only see a part of the flow on your screen.  But in the navigator you see the entire flow minimized, and this way you know immediately which part of the flow you are currently looking at.

I was wondering if Blockly also has something similar, so some small minimized preview of the entire workspace I mean?  Or if there are any future plans for such a plugin?

I assume the answer is "no"?  But then at least I know that I don't need to search further.

Thanks !!!
Bart

Abby Schmiedt

Jul 12, 2021, 12:26:10 PM7/12/21
to Blockly
Hello!

I think what you are describing is a minimap. We have a request for a plugin open on blockly samples for a minimap. There is also an old demo floating around if you want to play with it. We had plans to work on this last quarter, but unfortunately some other plugins took precedence. If you have any opinions or comments feel free to leave a comment on the issue!

Thanks!
Abby

Bart Butenaers

Jul 12, 2021, 3:10:14 PM7/12/21
to Blockly
Hey Abbey,

Thanks for both links!  That is exactly what I was looking for, and the name "minimap" is even MUCH more self explaining compared to "nagivator".
It would be very pitty if the code used in the nice demo would never be reused to build a plugin...
Because it works very smooth in the demo already, so there is someone on this globe somewhere that already has done a major part of the development ;-)

Bart