Multi-Select

Lu Wilson

Jun 14, 2022, 5:07:07 AM6/14/22
to Blockly
Hi all!

We've recently opened up Sandspiel Studio to a first wave of users, and we've started to receive lots of helpful feedback!

One user has mentioned their desire to select and interact with multiple blocks at once by dragging a selection box, like this:

multi-select.png

Does anyone know any tools/tips for achieving something like this? Or any thoughts/comments on it?

Thank you very much!
Lu :)

Beka Westberg

Jun 14, 2022, 10:23:07 AM6/14/22
to Blockly
Hello! Thank you for your question Lu :D

Currently there is no built-in way to do this, because getting the behavior right is really tricky, and different projects will probably want different behavior. E.g. one project may want to use drag-to-select while another one may want to use ctrl + click.

You can check out the tracking issue for more details/examples.

I know App Inventor is currently investigating ways to add this behavior on-top of Blockly (i.e. handling drag-to-select outside of Blockly's gesture handling system). Here's the relevant Google Summer of Code project. So you might want to reach out to them for their thoughts =) I know they also check this forum sometimes, so they may reply here. They've also expressed interest in providing it as a plugin once it's completed.

Sorry I can't provide more direct recommendations :/ But if you have specific questions I'm happy to help!

Best wishes,
--Beka

Lu Wilson

Jun 15, 2022, 5:21:14 AM6/15/22
to Blockly
Hi Beka, thanks for the quick reply! :)

That's really helpful - and it does make sense why it's not built-in.
Really interesting to hear about App Inventor investigating this! I'll look into that.

Thank you,
Lu