Blockly Developer Tools -- Issues getting block factory to work locally

Matthew Maeschalck

Nov 17, 2021, 6:27:21 AM11/17/21
to Blockly
Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a project that involves a forked version of Blockly dev tools' block factory being run locally (from the public repo found here: https://github.com/google/blockly-devtools ) and am having issues getting it to function properly.

After launching the application, I couldn't create any blocks because the 'factory_base' block was not in the workspace.

I tried adding 'factory_base' manually to the default toolbox, and I was able drag it in without issue, but attaching blocks to it would not update the preview, generator stub or definition at all.
(Also the 'factory_base' block I added was able to be deleted via the trash can? I don't think this is supposed to be the case)

How can I properly get the 'factory_base' block to appear in my local block factory workspace, and get it to properly generate a preview, generator stub, and definition?

Aaron Dodson

Nov 22, 2021, 5:49:14 PM11/22/21
to Blockly
Hi,

The blockly-devtools repo is largely obsolete; the block factory is still available though. You'll want to clone the main Blockly repo (https://github.com/google/blockly), and then from within that directory run `npm install` and `npm start`. You can then access the block factory at http://127.0.0.1:8080/demos/blockfactory/index.html, which does include the base block and allows you to start creating blocks out of the box. You can also customize it locally by editing the code in demos/blockfactory. Sorry for the confusion as well - I'll check in with the team about clarifying/removing the old repo.

Thanks!
- Aaron

Mark Friedman

Nov 22, 2021, 6:00:40 PM11/22/21
to blo...@googlegroups.com
It might also be worth mentioning that the Blockly dev tools still exist but are now maintained at https://github.com/google/blockly-samples/tree/master/plugins/dev-tools.

Perhaps the README in the old repo should contain a pointer to the new repo ;-)

-Mark