How to build blis for windows 10

asitsriv...@gmail.com

May 21, 2020, 5:35:31 AM5/21/20
to blis-discuss
Hi

I want to build blis for windows 10. It will be very helpful if anyone can share the procedure to build it on windows. PLEASE GUIDE .

Thanks in Advance.

Field G. Van Zee

May 21, 2020, 11:33:42 AM5/21/20
to blis-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Unfortunately, BLIS does not currently support "native" compilation in
Windows. Thanks to contributions from users, though, we have configured
BLIS for continuous integration via AppVeyor, which allows for Windows
DLL "artifacts." Please see the FAQ for links and details [1].

Field

[1]
https://github.com/flame/blis/blob/master/docs/FAQ.md#can-i-build-blis-on-windows
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blis-discuss/3eabc212-f712-4dec-8e55-43a4f84888e7%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blis-discuss/3eabc212-f712-4dec-8e55-43a4f84888e7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

dmitriybob...@gmail.com

May 30, 2020, 1:22:08 PM5/30/20
to blis-discuss
If it's possible, It would be great to add installation support through vcpkg and integrate with Visual Studio (2019). Sorry, but your rival Intel has Intel MKL/TBB/IPP libraries with a comfort GUI installation. And also integration to the Visual Studio with vcpkg. I want to migrate on new Ryzen (think to buy 3970X-90X), but unfortunately, I must use FFTW or my own implementation on platform-agnostic assemblies or Intel MKL on Intel processors.
Please, could you realize Windows support soon?

Thank you.

Best regards,
                       Dmitrii.

On 5/21/20 4:35 AM, asitsriv...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to build blis for windows 10. It will be very helpful if anyone
> can share the procedure to build it on windows. PLEASE GUIDE .
>
> Thanks in Advance.

Jeff Hammond

May 30, 2020, 1:31:26 PM5/30/20
to dmitriybob...@gmail.com, blis-discuss
Intel is not a rival of BLIS.

I work for Intel and I work closely with both the MKL and BLIS teams. Intel paid for BLIS AVX-512 support for KNL and SKX. I recommend it as the best open-source BLAS library for Intel processors to customers.

Intel MKL is industry software with substantial resources for packaging and platform support. BLIS is an open-source community project powered by a very small number of very talented people on a small budget.

If you want BLIS to behave like commercial software and have a shiny turnkey experience on Windows, pay them to do it or contribute it.

Jeff

On May 30, 2020, at 10:22 AM, dmitriybob...@gmail.com wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blis-discuss/6b8d4899-3d15-43c0-8a8b-0103ff8ad529%40googlegroups.com.

dmitriybob...@gmail.com

May 30, 2020, 1:43:52 PM5/30/20
to blis-discuss
Jeff, thank you for your response.

Ah, my mistake. I thought that AMD BLIS had forked from BLIS and evolve in parallel. Sorry.

Isuru Fernando

May 30, 2020, 2:28:36 PM5/30/20
to dmitriybob...@gmail.com, blis-discuss
Hi,

You can use clang to build BLIS on windows. I've been doing that for a while now and has been working well. If you want to support BLIS in vcpkg, it's not hard to add it.

You can download my builds from https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/blis/files

Isuru

dmitriybob...@gmail.com

May 30, 2020, 3:07:29 PM5/30/20
to blis-discuss
Oh, thank you! I'll try it in 1-2 days!

Field G. Van Zee

May 31, 2020, 10:46:04 AM5/31/20
to blis-d...@googlegroups.com
Dmitrii,

Thank you for your interest in BLIS.

AMD does indeed have their own fork of BLIS, but we do not control it.
Note that the relationship with "vanilla" (upstream) BLIS and AMD's fork
is nuanced. It's not a "hard" fork, as happens with open-source projects
when there is a disagreement in project vision or leadership. Rather,
it's functionally more like a branch that (a) pulls in upstream changes
that we make, as well as (b) contributes AMD code back upstream. So in
that regard, the fork is "parallel" but also symbiotic. Understandably,
AMD wants the flexibility to provide added value tailored to their
hardware and have control over what, when, and how they contribute to
the software in the short term. Maintaining their separate fork meets
their needs without impeding our work. It's win-win for all parties.

But Jeff is right: if you want commercial-grade features from BLIS
(beyond those it already provides), you should ask the entity with the
commercial-grade budget--namely, AMD. We do our best with the limited
resources we have. Vanilla BLIS is the fast, open-source library it is
today thanks to the work of many individuals, most of whom were not paid
for their contributions.

But, all that said, hopefully Isuru's contributions vis-a-vis Windows
will suit your needs. (Please see the FAQ [1] for our project's official
word on Windows support.)

Regards,
Field

PS: Please feel free to open an issue on GitHub [2] if you have a
feature request in the future.

[1] https://github.com/flame/blis/blob/master/docs/FAQ.md
[2] https://github.com/flame/blis/issues
>> > <mailto:blis-discuss...@googlegroups.com>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blis-discuss/3eabc212-f712-4dec-8e55-43a4f84888e7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blis-discuss/3eabc212-f712-4dec-8e55-43a4f84888e7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blis-discuss/6b8d4899-3d15-43c0-8a8b-0103ff8ad529%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blis-discuss/6b8d4899-3d15-43c0-8a8b-0103ff8ad529%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blis-discuss/47bd955d-d8a2-4a52-a026-30befcfcf6ed%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blis-discuss/47bd955d-d8a2-4a52-a026-30befcfcf6ed%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blis-discuss/4204f038-3be0-46cd-8e1e-029cc57c095a%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blis-discuss/4204f038-3be0-46cd-8e1e-029cc57c095a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

sshirem...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2020, 5:48:02 AM6/11/20
to blis-discuss
Hello Isuru
its wonderful to know that support for building BLIS is available in Windows.
I would like to setup the environment for building dll in my machine.
From the FAQ page i see that its possible to build using clang and msys2 environment.
May I know if you are following this same method? If so, is it possible tor you to share detailed steps as I am completely new to clang and msys2 environments.