Building for zen platform.

Erling D. Andersen

Nov 9, 2018, 2:23:45 AM11/9/18
to blis-discuss
I build Blis for usage on newer AMD Cpus. Last time I did it with version 0.9 I used

./configure --enable-threading=pthreads zen

as far as I recall. But now that does not work since I get the build errors below. Should I just build for AMD64 and will that give me the best performance on recent AMD CPUs?

Erling

# Build errors:

configure: starting configuration of BLIS 1.2.
configure: configuring with official version string.
configure: found shared library .so version '1.2.0'.
configure: .so major version: 1
configure: .so minor.build version: 2.0
configure: manual configuration requested; configuring with 'zen'.
configure: checking configuration against contents of 'config_registry'.
configure: 'user-specified configuration '' is NOT registered!
configure:
configure: *** Cannot continue with unregistered configuration ''. ***

Field G. Van Zee

Nov 9, 2018, 12:10:00 PM11/9/18
to blis-d...@googlegroups.com
Erling,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. The configuration command you gave:

./configure --enable-threading=pthreads zen

should certainly work. And while I don't currently have access to AMD
hardware on which to test, there isn't anything architecture-specific
about running configure with those arguments.

Perhaps more importantly, however, judging from your configure output,
it appears you are not using a github clone or an official github
release; the latest version that I have released is 0.5.0. I'm guessing
you are using a version managed by AMD, and so I can't vouch for its
current working state.

If you would like to continue using the AMD version, I suggest you
contact their support staff and/or open an issue at the AMD github site.
Otherwise, I suggest you try a git clone from our github site [1]. (The
head of the 'master' branch is stable and safe for general use, as it
almost always is. I encourage people to use clones since they are much
easier to update than an official release.)

Field

[1] https://github.com/flame/blis

sivap...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2018, 4:56:15 AM11/14/18
to blis-discuss

Hi Erling,

Could you share the details on this CPU ? log seems to indicate failure to detect a zen based CPU

Siva