Are the changes from AMD's fork (amd/blis) merged back often?

dcomi...@gmail.com

Sep 6, 2019, 10:24:13 AM9/6/19
to blis-discuss
Hello there!

Please, I'd like to know whether AMD's fork of BLIS (amd/blis) often has its optimizations merged back into upstream? I want to use the BLIS package from Conda and definitely don't want to download and set up the binaries from AMD's tarballs. It'd be a pity if they weren't actively working on merging their optimizations back into upstream.

Thanks!

Field Van Zee

Sep 6, 2019, 1:04:27 PM9/6/19
to blis-discuss
Danilo,

Great question, and thanks for your interest in BLIS.

The answer is: yes, AMD occasionally submits a pull request to merge their amd/blis modifications and optimizations back into flame/blis. In the past this has involved a three step process: AMD submits a pull request onto the 'amd' branch at flame/blis; I merge their PR and then carefully review all their contributions and edits, making small tweaks and cleanups as appropriate; and finally I merge AMD's changes + my changes of their changes back to 'master'.

I don't know AMD's schedule for how frequently they intend this to happen, but I do remind them from time to time that I am always willing and ready to accept their contributions. If you would like to give them a little nudge or request any other kind of support, I suggest contacting AMD's CPU libraries team at cpulib...@amd.com.

Field

Danilo Cominotti Marques

Sep 6, 2019, 4:41:45 PM9/6/19
to Field Van Zee, blis-discuss
Field,

That’s super great to know — thank you very much for the detailed answer!

Just to have some sort of idea about how frequently they have been opening PRs up to now, would you say — off the top of your head — that it seems to happen every other month, or maybe once every 4, 6...?

I have taken note of the email you gave me and would to thank you once again for the great support!

Danilo

sivap...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2019, 5:35:54 AM9/9/19
to blis-discuss
Hi Danilo,

This Siva from AMD BLIS team.

  • we currently do not have a set time table. we generate pull requests based on major feature availability, performance upgrades.
  • For questions, reach out to aocls...@amd.com. Btw, AMD CPU library suite is now called AOCL (AMD Optimizing CPU Libraries)
Thanks
Siva
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to blis-d...@googlegroups.com.