Big Sam

1 view

Aaron Helmle

Sep 25, 2020, 2:09:10 PM9/25/20
to blind-...@googlegroups.com

Well, I have a big brother named Sam.  We call him Sam.  His son is Samuel, but we call him Ethan.  You figure it out, I have stopped trying.

As far as the Sam puzzles.  Yes.  This is called easy Sam.  Five interlocking 9 by 9 puzzles.  Easy as pie.  If you like that kind of pie.

I also have a half sam.  That is two interlocking 9 by 9 puzzles.  If I recall the mini sams were two interlocking 6 by 6 puzzles.  I am posting the samurai here.  I will leave both this puzzle and the half sam attached as text files.

6-- --- --3 000 --7 9-- 631

-43 -98 --- 000 -3- -8- -7-

78- --5 --4 000 -65 -1- --2

--- 53- 2-7 000 716 --- ---

--- 9-- 53- 000 --- --- 347

--6 8-7 9-- 000 --- --8 51-

--4 --- --- 81- --- 8-3 ---

1-8 -6- --- -6- 89- 5-- --3

-7- 45- --- 2-- --- --9 -8-

000 000 --- 7-- --6 000 000

000 000 -83 --- 21- 000 000

000 000 6-- --8 --- 000 000

-2- 3-- --- --2 --- -79 -8-

6-- --4 -35 -7- --- -5- 7-9

--- 2-7 --- -36 --- --- 5--

-82 6-- --- 000 --2 9-4 3--

531 --- --- 000 -13 --6 ---

--- --- 453 000 6-4 -37 ---

1-- -4- 92- 000 2-- 3-- -96

-7- -3- -6- 000 --- 78- 13-

946 --2 3-- 000 3-- --- --5

min sam.txt
sam easy.txt

Rosemarie Grayley

Sep 25, 2020, 5:31:39 PM9/25/20
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
After looking at this puzzle, I recognize the zeros. It's the five puzzles with the center puzzle having one corner overlapping the surrounding puzzles on their one nearest box.

I remember being somewhat aggravated by them because I couldn't do all the puzzles at the same time on my board, not enough space. I'd work through to the fourth or fifth puzzle, all seemed to be well, then I'd get to the last puzzle, the fourth which for me was the bottom right, or maybe even to the fifth puzzle, the center one for me, and find a mess of numbers that didn't mesh!

Managed the medium X okay. Now working on the Hard X, and I did see the note about the missing 3 in the 9 spot in box 9. Hey, things happen. If I finish it, do I go onto puzzle 2 in this group or do I go crazy and try for an evil X? Smiling.

The mini sams were interesting and the fact that both would fit on my board probably had a lot to do with it.

Slowly but surely puzzling on.

Rosemarie

Aaron Helmle

Sep 25, 2020, 6:02:59 PM9/25/20
to blind-sudoku@googlegroups com
I print out the puzzles in large print. Over the years my version of large print has gotten larger. But when I try to work a samuraii I print all five puzzles and tape them together. Then I crawl over the puzzle and figure things out. I have to see the puzzles all at once or it just doesn't work for me. I tried to work the out as five individual puzzles and was left with a mess.

I am glad you a puzzling. If you want anything specific let me know.

Aaron

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/000401d69383%2440e09ff0%24c2a1dfd0%24%40verizon.net.

Rosemarie Grayley

Sep 26, 2020, 12:56:01 PM9/26/20
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, yes. Some puzzling does get done, just not much. The price to pay for overworking my right hand is days of not doing much, and that is to say, even less than usual.

I have a mental picture of you doing the big sam in one go, so maybe you said way back when how you did them.

I've decided to stick with the hard X puzzles you've posted. Enjoyment is the aim, not frustration. My program is working fine, so if needed let me know for any of the regular or X 9 by 9s, they are the only ones it will do.

Did you get much of the monster rainfall that was reported on the news for Texas? California is always willing to take some of it off your hands. What this country needs is a super piping project that will connect reservoirs with their neighbors in a huge daisy chain, to be opened when reservoirs have too much instead of dumping the excess, or receiving water when too low.

Have a good weekend. I'm still intrigued by the haircutting solution!
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/1dks2utnaeorvc9vqohs9ag1.1601071361563%40email.android.com.

Aaron Helmle

Sep 26, 2020, 2:44:25 PM9/26/20
to blind-sudoku@googlegroups com
I am too lazy to do the sams right now. I have a project in the garage that doesn't get enough attention. I an building an entertainment center for a large screen tv. Large screen means they are adaptive equipment right?

We got precious little of that rainfall. It hugged the coast and didn't get up as far north as Austin. We got a few showers.

I like the idea of being able to share water anywhere in the country that needs it. Here in central Texas we have a series of reservoirs that hold water and control flooding. When all the lakes get full it would be nice to divert it somewhere else.

Aaron

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/005301d69425%24eaba7f80%24c02f7e80%24%40verizon.net.

Rosemarie Grayley

Sep 27, 2020, 1:09:06 PM9/27/20
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
I'd say it is.

I'm afraid the things will fall off the wall and had one for a time on top of the entertainment center that still has the old TV in it. It was a worry, so it's in someone else's living room now, they're a lot like humpty dumpty in that they don't bounce.

Are you making more of a stand, like an easel, or will there be shelves for other things below?

Good luck.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/rep9yejrncc31dfp582i1fp0.1601145860843%40email.android.com.

Aaron Helmle

Sep 27, 2020, 1:30:48 PM9/27/20
to blind-sudoku@googlegroups com
My entertainment center will be more like kitchen counters. Picture if you will, six and a half feet wide, three feet tall and two feet deep.

One each end will be a set of drawers. Eight drawers in total. These most of these drawers will be deep enough to put movie or game cartridges in them. The middle section will be three feet wide and probably shelves. I might make part of it into cabinets but will likely leave it open.

The 85 inch teevees are about the right size to fit on this cabinet. So, room for that and then the shelves cagn handle dvd players, game consoles and maybe a computer. Not sure what all will be there.

On the bright side, Mary is making potato salad. Not sure what we have to go with it, but we will figure that out.

Aaron

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/004501d694f0%24e70b07d0%24b5211770%24%40verizon.net.

Dani Pagador

Sep 27, 2020, 6:29:28 PM9/27/20
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
So Mary, how 'bout you share your potato salad recipe? Good to snack
on something while puzzling. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Potatoes provide quick fuel for the brain. Mine needs all the fuel it
can get.

More Later,
Dani, done with all the med Xs, now being tackled by the hardXs, and
gearing up for Big Sam
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/4lsvgofr0biui1llc2ewf1dv.1601227709875%40email.android.com.

mary...@sbcglobal.net

Sep 27, 2020, 11:52:55 PM9/27/20
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Recipe? What recipe?

Boil some potatoes. Peel them while they are just barely cooled enough to handle. Or just peel them first. Pour a little vinegar over them and swish it around. Cut them into pieces and swish them in the vinegar to try and get some on the cut parts. It is not much vinegar, maybe a tablespoon. You don't want this wet. Boil some eggs, in the same pot or a different one. Rinse those off and peel them too.

Slice or mince some celery, no more than two ribs. Get some pickle relish if you like it, I don't. Chop some onion if you like, Aaron doesn't. My mom used radishes, I don't.

Mix all these things with maybe a half cup of mayonnaise. How much depends on how many potatoes, of course. You can add some mustard, just a pinch if dry, maybe a teaspoon if wet. Add some salt and other spices. I have fallen head over heels in love with paprika lately. Mix all this up till it is the consistency you want. Chill it. It is better cold.

You can use olive oil and more vinegar instead of the mayonnaise if you like. You can add other vegetables. I have a recipe from New Mexico that has olive oil and vinegar, along with green chilies or green pepper, slivered up carrots, drained canned corn, onion, and black or green olives. Yum. I like to take that one to parties because it has all those colors in it, so sighted people like to look at it. Parties? Did there used to be parties? And I used to think I hated parties. Sounds really great now though.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/CAOA7kHKjXeKU8_NOkdW4p_n-Bec3SWNmRuvdeGmZ0iyawLJtZA%40mail.gmail.com.

Dani Pagador

Sep 28, 2020, 12:23:20 PM9/28/20
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, directions=recipe to Dani, who doesn't know how to approximate.

Thanks. Sounds really yummy. I'll share with my Mom, who's taken to
making the oil and vinegar version of the salad lately. Me, I need the
mayo.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/026201d6954a%24d5eff640%2481cfe2c0%24%40sbcglobal.net.

Rosemarie Grayley

Sep 28, 2020, 1:34:22 PM9/28/20
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Very nice. Good to know. I may rethink getting rid of the entertainment center here as there are still things that can go into it and something may come along that will fit in the TV opening. It is big, strong, and I don't really need a gigantic screen here. Hmmm, things to think about. I do like the closed shelves and drawers on mine.

Potato salad, good idea.

The medium X worked out fine, but the hard X are giving me trouble. May switch to regular hard puzzles.

Has anyone tried one of these frozen cauliflower pizzas from Costco? Big shock, it is absolutely delicious. I do like cauliflower anyway, but wasn't completely sold with the idea. Tried it and like it just fine.

Happy Monday.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/4lsvgofr0biui1llc2ewf1dv.1601227709875%40email.android.com.

Rosemarie Grayley

Sep 28, 2020, 1:41:44 PM9/28/20
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Onions, celery, chilies, a little shredded carrot for color. Have never tried kernel corn. Will try it and probably love it against the vinegar flavor.

Soon.

Rosemarie

Sep 28, 2020, 2:42:46 PM9/28/20
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Good luck with the hard X puzzles. The first one went okay for me, but the next, giving up on that one, and the next ... Well, I'm debating over the X types and wondering about the regular puzzles instead. I'll figure it out, but am quite shocked with the X puzzles as they were my absolute favorites for years.

Is there something out of the ordinary that potato salads have in them in Hawaii?
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/CAOA7kHKjXeKU8_NOkdW4p_n-Bec3SWNmRuvdeGmZ0iyawLJtZA%40mail.gmail.com.

Dani Pagador

Sep 28, 2020, 6:11:17 PM9/28/20
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious. Was the crust made of cauliflower, or was there
cauliflower on the pizza? I've seen YouTube videos where they make the
crust out of cauliflower, but am afraid to try it.

More Later,
Dani

On 9/28/20, 'Rosemarie Grayley' via The Blind Sudoku Discussion Group
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/000f01d695c7%2423a673b0%246af35b10%24%40verizon.net.

Rosemarie Grayley

Sep 29, 2020, 11:34:33 AM9/29/20
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
The crust is made of cauliflower. There are little squares on the top of it with plenty of cheese. Truly delicious. I suspect that the majority of people who try one wouldn't be able to figure out that they're eating cauliflower without being told. The flavor is very mild.

The instructions say to put the pizza on the oven rack. Being leery of having cheese and other bits to clean up on the bottom of the oven, I put mine on a pizza pan, it fit perfectly with a little space on the pan left over, and it crisped up beautifully. Yum. Try it, you'll like it. Try it straight and if you really miss pepperoni, try some on top. I may do that next time. Like any pizza, I don't see why a person can't add a little of this or a little of that. With intentions of adding a bit of something else once in a while, I really do like it plain as it comes. Thinking back to other frozen pizzas, so many of them do need additions to make them taste great, this one doesn't in my opinion, it's already there.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/CAOA7kHJxF%2B9i8b6wRxxExQ87XVEJ23CfRSqgRYFpGzh7p3eujg%40mail.gmail.com.