jar opener

Aaron Helmle

Jul 6, 2017, 2:25:11 PM7/6/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com

Okay, so, that which can happen to the best of us can happen to me also.  And it did.

I hurt my hand opening a very stubborn jar.  I decided to treat myself to a jar opener from Bed, Bath and beyond.

Robo Twist Hands Free Jar Opener

Robo Twist Hands Free Jar Opener

allows you to open jars and bottles with ease. Hands-free technology grips, twists, and opens stubborn jar lids with the simple press of a button.

I have been very pleasantly surprised.  Costs about $20 and I threw in a can opener to bring my order up high enough that there would be no shipping charges.  I’ll probably have to get my hand fixed.  Rendon problem on the left thumb.

Oh – and I worked a hard x sudoku last night.  I am way rusty on these monsters.  Took me a while and I had to take breaks and come back to it.  Mary is working on the same puzzle.  She is having trouble with her Braille display and the way it handles side note.

Hope everyone is well.  I am still around if anyone needs puzzles.

Oh – big news in Austin.  We gained Rachael and Sarah Warke.  They are now Texans.

-aaron

Schneider, Katherine S.

Jul 6, 2017, 4:44:38 PM7/6/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear about the hurt ha paw hope it doesn't impair your Sadako working

Sent from my iPhone

Aaron Helmle

Jul 6, 2017, 8:29:08 PM7/6/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com

Oh no – the hand thing doesn’t impair Sudoku working.  If so it would constitute an emergency.  I used to work in an emergency room and I don’t recall anyone coming in with Sudoku working impairments, but no doubt it happens.

Keep puzzling….

-aaron

Rosemarie Grayley

Jul 8, 2017, 2:48:51 PM7/8/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Well, that's definitely a pain! Nice to hear from you, though not with this particular news. Maybe your hand will recover, mine has not, and arthritis has set in big time.

Good puzzling and good reading. Latest Stuart Woods' Stone Barrington book at hand.

Texas for Rachael and Sarah? That's a big move. Hope all went smoothly.

Rosemarie

Aaron Helmle

Jul 8, 2017, 3:34:38 PM7/8/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
My specific hand trouble is called De Quervain tenosynovitis. Basically the tendon that operates the thumb is mad at me. I asked the doctor about it and he said it was not caused from me opening a jar. But that is when I noticed it.

Anyway, I have had surgery for this before on the right hand. Quick snip and stitch - no biggy. This time it is on the left side.

The way to test for this is to put your thumb down toward you palm. Now fold your other fingers over your thumb - kind of like making fist. Tilt your fist away from you to stretch out the thumb tendon. If you have to peel yourself off the ceiling you have a diagnosis.

Haven't been able to get together with Rachel for a meal - I will try again when it cools off. We are flirting with 100 degrees and that makes me want to just stay in front of the air conditioner. And work puzzles of course.

-aaron

Mary Ward

Jul 8, 2017, 10:25:12 PM7/8/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear about your hand, Rosemarie. We've had three hand surgeries between us and hoping to avoid a fourth, this one for Aaron. Of course, if it doesn't heal completely, then I hope he does the surgery, but complete, natural healing sounds a lot better.

Rosemarie Grayley

Jul 9, 2017, 12:29:11 PM7/9/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
The description of his particular misery isn't what I have. Wish it were --- well, not really wishing it were, but if it were it would have a more satisfactory solution. Hope this coming up surgery is successful as what you've gone through in the past.

Rosemarie Grayley

Jul 9, 2017, 1:49:38 PM7/9/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
I Can't even pronounce that with certainty! Glad it's fixable. Here's to the snipping and stitching.

Inland is broiling beautifully. Here it's in the low eighties. Sunny and nice in the house with doors and windows open and a fan on.

Looked all over for your post. Popped it into the wrong folder. Gads!

Best,

Aaron Helmle

Jul 9, 2017, 2:04:48 PM7/9/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
When they first told me I had de Quervain my immediate response was to treat it with Jose Cuervo. It didn't cure it, but you didn't really care after a few drinks.

We have been committing the sin of listening to Harry Potter together. We started with the first book. After that I want to watch the first movie. If we do that all the way through we will be wasting a lot of time. But that is what time is for when it is hot. When I call up the forecast for Death Valley it makes me think our weather is not so bad. But our local weatherman looked at the numbers and was happy to proclaim that year to date we have had the hottest year in history. Thanks buddy. We could have done without that.

I am about to go downstairs again. But I do have a few puzzles to take. I am doing some 6 by 6 killer x puzzles. Something is wrong with the creation program - if I go to a hard level it makes mistakes. Obvious mistakes. Like on a 6 by 6 puzzle what 2 numbers add together to make 14?

Terrilynne Pomeroy

Jul 9, 2017, 10:10:56 PM7/9/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
I would love to see those killer 6 by 6 x puzzles. If you get a break from the Harry Potter stuff, you might send those along. *smile*

TerriLynne

Aaron Helmle

Jul 10, 2017, 10:00:36 AM7/10/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Hi TerriLynne,

The 6 by 6 killer x puzzles are really hard to describe. First of all, killer puzzles use math. You are given 2, 3 or 4 cells that will add together to produce the number given. Other than that regular rules apply for squares, rows and columns. They are beastly and nasty. The entry will not be a puzzle, it will be a description of a puzzle. Are you sure you want to go down this path?

Rosemarie Grayley

Jul 10, 2017, 11:24:46 AM7/10/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Good move. Jose Cuervo makes sense to me. Coming up with 14 with two numbers is decidedly weird for a 6 by 6. Is it the program having a fit or the computer? Also where on earth would a number larger than 6 come from?

Aaron Helmle

Jul 10, 2017, 12:05:55 PM7/10/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
The program is having a fit. I reported it to the maker and he responded, saying it should not be doing that. And that was what I was hinting at - it should not be doing that.

Interestingly when I get one of the bad puzzles and hit solve it does solve the puzzle. It changes the original first, but it does give a solution. If it were human we would say it is cheating, but being a computer we can.t really say that. Or can we?

Rosemarie Grayley

Jul 10, 2017, 12:50:41 PM7/10/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
A computer cheating! Now there's a thought that's never crossed my mind before. There will have to be a whole new category of regulations put on the law books. Instead of blaming some unknown person, in certain circumstances it could be claimed that the computer did it!

Shades of the future!

Aaron Helmle

Jul 10, 2017, 1:36:33 PM7/10/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
I have been using that one for years. Used it today as a matter of fact. I used my computer to schedule rides on the local paratransit and it gave me some weird times. Mary is down there talking to a person to iron out what their system did.

Then again - with the times given it may give credence to the idea of time travel.

Mary Ward

Jul 10, 2017, 3:16:12 PM7/10/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't do a 4 by 4 killer puzzle. I spent a decent amount of time trying. I am convinced they can't be done by humans. Wait, Aaron is human, so maybe there's one exception.

I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to conceptualize it. I couldn't figure out any way of taking notes for it in Braille. There probably is a way, but it was completely beyond me.

Terrilynne Pomeroy

Jul 10, 2017, 7:50:14 PM7/10/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Are the 4 by 4's thqat Mary wrote about any easier? Would I want to try one of those first? You might send one of those along just for beginning kicks. *smile*

Rosemarie Grayley

Jul 11, 2017, 12:43:24 PM7/11/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Did Hal lie to the guy in 2001 or did he just not tell the truth? It's been a while since I read the book or saw the movie?

I rather enjoy time travel books. Connie Willis has written some wonderful ones. And, wouldn't you know it, when things went to hell, the computer did it every time!

Once a glitch with a computer happens, it's nearly impossible to correct it. Good luck with the scheduling.

Rosemarie Grayley

Jul 11, 2017, 12:46:36 PM7/11/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
He might be the one and only. I recall doing some years back, but have totally forgotten the how of it. The puzzles are long gone so there's nothing to go by from back then.

Aaron Helmle

Jul 13, 2017, 2:34:41 PM7/13/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Hi TerriLynne

Did you give that killer puzzle a whirl? I hope you noted that there was a problem. The total on the row 4 boxes was 6, not 9. I have no idea who typed that.

-aaron

Jul 13, 2017, 5:46:48 PM7/13/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aaron,
I am still trying to figure out how to do it. So the first line you sent was:
1,1 and 1,2 = 4
Does this mean that the numbers in 1,1 and 1,2 add up to four? Like it would be 1 and 3?

Aaron Helmle

Jul 13, 2017, 9:26:05 PM7/13/17
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, exactly right. Not only would that add to 4, you have the only 2 numbers that would. 1 and 3. Later on you will have to worry about what order they must be in toe make the row and columns and squares come out right.

Spoiler alert - I am going to show you how to solve most of column 1. Stop reading here if you want to stop.

Okay. 2,1 and 3,1 will add up to 3. Meaning they have to be 1 and 2. This tells you 2 things. First of all, you can tell what order the 1 and 3 have to be in because you now have a 1 already on column 1.
Further, since you now know where the 1, 2 and 3 on column 1 have to be you can place the 4.

Have some fun with it. I don't see any reason to take notes but you be the judge.