RE: Checking In on Your Family

Aaron Helmle

Feb 27, 2021, 3:07:49 PM2/27/21
to Dani Pagador, blind-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dani,

Thanks for thinking of us, but we are fine. I have seen so many houses that were pretty much ruined by floods and such. But we are fine. The greatest tragedy was that a water hose end sprayer was damaged. Yes - a total of a $15 sprayer and we are back to new. Some plants of ours didn't fare well, but that is not that big of a deal either.

We had water for the first two days of the event. Electricity was out but we had water. Day three we got the electricity back and were able to heat the house, then the water failed. We were out of water for 3 or 4 days. I was shoveling snow from the driveway and melting it so we could flush the toilet. Luckily we had some bottled water here in the house. We always keep a bunch of stuff in the pantry, so we were will fed.

Our neighbor could drive around and look for food, but all the restaurants were closed because they also had no electricity or water.

Those first two days were pretty cold in the house. We were able to burn the fireplace for some heat. I don't think it ever got below 50 degrees in the living room. The bed was interesting. As it got cold it got hard. Picture trying to sleep on a large rock. We had to pile sheets and blankets under us to insulate us from the mattress, then more sheets and blankets on top of us to keep warm.

So, it was and interesting time but nothing in the house was damaged, so that part was good. We bundled up in front of the fireplace and played games on our electronic devices and listened to talking books. It was a nice change of pace.

But as you know, for some people it was not nice.

We might have even snuck in a sudoku or two during all that time.

Feb 27, 2021, 5:37:34 PM2/27/21
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aaron,

I'm glad you posted to the list. I've been wondering how you and Mary and other Texas people have been fairing with the water and power calamity. So glad you came through the very scary situation without much damage to your home or yourselves.

Best to you too, Dani.

Rosemarie

Dani Pagador

Feb 27, 2021, 10:05:40 PM2/27/21
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Aaron and Rosemarie.
Glad you both are well. I see more snow in your future, and flooding,
according to YouTube.

Today's kimchi making day, so in a bit I'll need to do a third turn
and mix of the salted cabbage--four turns and mixes in all,--and after
all of that, mix in the paste and ferment on the counter for two days.
I'll have at least a half gallon of kimchi that should do our house
good for the next two or three months. Most of it's for us, but some
will go to my sister and neighbors. It goes in to fried rice, fried
noodles, burgers, and is a side for other stuff.

More Later,
Dani

On 2/27/21, 'Rosemarie Grayley' via The Blind Sudoku Discussion Group
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/000e01d70d59%2427a38fc0%2476eaaf40%24%40verizon.net.

Aaron Helmle

Feb 28, 2021, 11:51:53 AM2/28/21
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
I have been getting Kim Chi Ramen. It has a few wisps of cabbage in it, but it is mainly hot pepper powder of some kind. I don't think it Is red pepper or chili powder, but it is hot and the mix is good.

Is your Kim Chi hot?
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/CAOA7kHKjLQi%3D9D9j%3Dmj2HCHP%3DdMBWF7LZNcJmW4fr3wnREuxUw%40mail.gmail.com.

Aaron Helmle

Feb 28, 2021, 12:15:27 PM2/28/21
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dani,

Please link me that YouTube that says we are going to have more flood and snow. I believe you are right, but I want to see what they are saying. All weather of all kinds will get more extreme and be less predictable.

Feb 28, 2021, 5:53:32 PM2/28/21
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Aaron.
Just sent you the link for the video from my iPhone.
I think I know the kimchi bowl you mean. It's great in the winter,
when a body needs to warm itself up.
My kimchi is hot to the eye, I guess. The Korean chili pepper flakes
make the paste look really red. David says it's not as hot as it
looks, so that's a good thing.

I've been making my own kimchi for a year now, and it's worked out
really well. I'll send you the YouTube video link for that, too, if
it's something you're in to. It takes a little bit of work, but most
of it is watching the clock and turning the cabbage when you're
supposed to. The longest part is the wait time to ferment it--I like
mine tangy and spicy, so will let mine sit out for a day and a half.

More Later,
Dani
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/000001d70df5%244c4fdd50%24e4ef97f0%24%40att.net.

Aaron Helmle

Mar 1, 2021, 4:19:30 PM3/1/21
to blind-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dani,

I watched the weather guy. I think the rain he is talking about will hit to the east of us. We are getting some rain, but it is the kind of rain that if you stand out there long enough you might get moist. It is nice a cool though, a little too cool to walk around. Good weather to stay in the house and read.

On the Kim Chi. Yes, please sent that link. If we have all the stuff we need to make it we probably will. By that I mean crockery - do you have to ferment it in a big stoneware pot? But Mary is interested, and when Mary is interested, look out. It is doing to happen.

I forget if I reported the death of all my tropical fish. Seems like they don't like cold weather. I was going to knit them some sweaters but didn't have the time.

Aaron
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/blind-sudoku/CAOA7kH%2Big6gn0VTcbx0WwfL47SBu-PTDgo4K_kUQQ7rU4Cv90g%40mail.gmail.com.