Fwd: THIS is TRUE #847: 5 September

Bonnie L. Sherrell

Sep 12, 2010, 6:53:13 PM9/12/10
to Blind Horse group, Blind-X discussion group, Blind Chit Chat

I'm not certain how many of you might have heard of this weekly column, but felt
you might well enjoy seeing it, especially considering the nature of this second
article mentioned. Enjoy!

Bonnie Sherrell

----

SINCE 1994 and reaching more than 43,404 subscribers (up 161 from last
week), this is the 847th weekly issue of Randy Cassingham's...

THIS is TRUE: 5 September Copyright 2010 http://www.thisistrue.com
LACK OF SUPERVISION: A local reporter says William Demery, 42, "ended up
making a spectacle of himself." Demery had wanted to see a jail
chaplain after being booked into the Burleigh County (N.D.) Detention
Center on a charge of aggravated assault. When told a chaplain wasn't
available, Demery grabbed another inmate's eyeglasses, and ate both
lenses and part of the metal frame. Criminal charges are possible since
jailers realized the glasses were worth about $250. "I'll be looking
for it," said Assistant State's Attorney Lloyd Suhr. "No pun intended."
(Bismarck Tribune) ...Criminal charges or not, inmates shouldn't be
allowed expensive see food.

KEEP AN EYE ON THIS GUY: "Every person I know who's lost an eye
immediately thinks, 'I should think about getting a camera'," claims
Canadian filmmaker Rob Spence. But Spence, 36, actually did it. He
damaged his right eye as a child, and doctors finally suggested it be
removed. He first checked with bionics researchers in Australia, but
instead used local engineers, who developed a camera, transmitter, and
power source that fit into a prosthetic eye he can pop into his socket.
"The aesthetic, oddly, is very similar to the point of view of the
Terminator from the first Terminator film, including a slight wavering
of video," he says. Spence, also known as "Eyeborg", admits "the two
words that always come up when I meet people are 'fascinating' and
'creepy'." He's in the process of making a documentary with his eyecam,
and attended the Other Film Festival in Melbourne, Vic., Australia, to
show the first footage. (Sydney Morning Herald) ...Critics described
the result as "eye-popping".

----------==========**********O**********==========----------
LOSING SLEEP TRYING TO DECIDE ON A NEW BED?

Memory foam or latex mattresses/toppers, airbeds or waterbeds,
innerspring coil or futon mattresses, all without sales hype:
NOT affiliated with any store or manufacturer. Just personal
experience and research so you can get a non-biased
perspective on your options. http://www.TheMattressLady.com
----------==========**********O**********==========----------

LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP: A group of friends were boating on Idaho's American
Falls Reservoir when one of the four men aboard decided to play a prank
on another: he pushed him overboard. The man in the water apparently
didn't know how to swim, and was not wearing a life jacket. Another man
jumped in to help him -- but he apparently didn't know how to swim
either, and was also not wearing a life jacket. The third man jumped in
too: same problems. The fourth man also jumped in, but didn't take the
time to put on the life vest he had in his hand. That left nothing but
five children, aged 2 to 9, on the boat; one called 911 for help.
Searchers combed the reservoir, but didn't find the men for more than
24 hours. They had all drowned. "Panic seems to be the overriding
factor" in the tragedy, said Power County Sheriff Jim Jeffries. (Idaho
State Journal) ...You know, I would have put the main cause down to a
slightly different factor.

WHERE'S THE "DISLIKE" BUTTON WHEN YOU NEED IT? After Traci Dishman, 41,
broke up with her ex-con boyfriend, he vowed he would find her and kill
her. Investigators say Roy Williams, 46, of York, Neb., lured her into
a new relationship by setting up a fake Facebook account under the
clever name of "John Smith", friended Dishman on the site, and within
three days was able to talk her into going on a date with him, telling
her to meet him at an apartment building. When she arrived, Williams
shot her three times, but she survived. Williams has pleaded no contest
to attempted murder. (York News-Times) ...And violation of the sacred
trust that is Facebook friendship.

NOW THAT'S A HISSY FIT: "Albino Python on Cocaine Confronts Police" --
AFP headline

DID YOU FIND an error? See http://www.thisistrue.com/errata.html

THERE'S AN EXTRA STORY this week. I'm pretty sure wouldn't make it past a
lot of spam filters, even though there's nothing particularly rude
about it, so I put it on my blog along with the hysterical headline
that first brought my attention to the story. You're welcome to pass
the URL around: http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-family_feud.html

THERE IS ANOTHER UPDATE on Brittany Blow, who I wrote about a few years
back. First, as noted last week I heard from someone who claims to be
her, and I posted her letter, unedited, on "her" page. Inspired by
that, a reader found another news item from last year about Ms. Blow.
I've now added that update to the page too, plus an amusing result I
got when I searched Google News for any OTHER stories about her. It's
all at http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-blonde_racism.html

ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR pages on the TRUE site over the years is the one
on Mike, the Headless chicken. The Colorado-born bird was to be served
up for supper, but survived its beheading -- for months. I was trolling
around Youtube and found a clip of a PBS documentary that interviews
some old-timers who remember Mike, as well as family members (the
farmer involved, not Mike's), and has some old family photographs,
newspaper clippings, and more. I'm not sure I knew that Mike even
toured Europe! http://www.thisistrue.com/mike.html

FIVE MORE STORIES: The full edition this week had TEN stories total. You
missed: Woman gets judge to marry her and her jailed fiance -- but she
still doesn't bail him out. Bank robber escapes on a walker (he's 75).
Ex-soldier who lost a leg in Afghanistan denied handicapped parking
permit because he is "young and may get better." Man says he decided to
eat his pet cat because it's "possessive, greedy and wasteful" -- and
then things turn weird. Man wishes he didn't suggest police search his
house, since.... A full year of expanded issues is just 24 bucks. See
http://thisistrue.com/upgrade.html to stop missing half the stories.

AND AMONG THE LATEST postings to Jumbo Joke: The Obstetrician's Office
(one of my personal favorites). http://www.JumboJoke.com

----------==========**********O**********==========----------
"I WANT TO BE A WRITER!"
We've heard that from so many people from so many walks of life.
Here's where to start: Learn about it from people who make their
full-time living writing and publishing. Whether you're interested in
art publishing, poetry, publishing your own book, or getting into
textbook writing or even blogging, we have articles on the subject:
http://www.PublishingWonk.com
someone talk about their job when he was 9, and liked the idea so much,
he made that very job his life goal -- and got to do it. For the full
story see http://www.HonoraryUnsubscribe.com/larry_ashmead.html

YOU CAN REALLY HELP TRUE: Send this issue (in its entirety, please) to a
friend with your personal recommendation. A friend told YOU about this
newsletter, right? Pass the favor on! Thanks.

I'M LITERALLY GIVING AWAY the secret to my business success in a free
home-study e-mail course: http://ThisIsTrue.com/d-mastermind

TIRED OF BEING TOLD WHERE TO GO? "Get Out of Hell Free" with our popular
and (in?)famous cards, created in response to a reader telling Randy he
was doomed. http://www.GOOHF.com

Published weekly by ThisIsTrue.Inc, PO Box 666, Ridgway CO 81432 USA
(ISSN 1521-1932). TRUE is available to newspapers as a regular feature
column. "This is True" is a registered trademark of ThisIsTrue.Inc

COPYRIGHT 2010 by Randy Cassingham, All Rights Reserved. All stories are
completely rewritten by Randy Cassingham using facts from the noted
sources. ALL broadcast, publication, retransmission to e-mail lists,
WWW or any other copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, is
STRICTLY PROHIBITED without PRIOR written permission from the author.
MANUAL FORWARDING by e-mail to friends is allowed IF 1) the text is
forwarded IN ITS ENTIRETY, from the "Since 1994" line on top through
the end of this paragraph and 2) NO FEE is charged. We REQUEST that you
forward no more than three copies to any one person -- after that, they
should get their own FREE subscription. We ALWAYS appreciate people who
report violations of our copyright to us.

TO COMMENT to the author, mailto:ar...@thisistrue.com -- Please include
your first name and location.

ThisIsTrue.Inc, PO Box 666, Ridgway, CO 81432, USA

To unsubscribe or change subscriber options visit:
http://www.aweber.com/z/r/?HCwMbCwctCzsTBwcDIwMtEa07Owc7CxsnA==