MEFA Nominations Close June 15

1 view

Bonnie L. Sherrell

Jun 6, 2010, 5:08:16 AM6/6/10
to Councils at Rivendell, Science Fiction list, books and such, Books for the Blind, Blind Horse group, Blind Chit Chat
Hey guys,

The Middle-earth Fanfiction Awards are currently accepting nominations for
our 2010 awards. But not for long! Our nomination period will end on June
15, in just 10 days, so please get your nominations in now.

To nominate stories you must be a member of the MEFAwards Yahoo group. When
you join this group you will be given a username and password at the awards
website, where you can nominate stories. Please allow 24 hours for this
information to be emailed to you; your Yahoo log-in information will not
work.

If after 24 hours you haven't received a password please email
mefasupport(.at.)mefawards(.dot.)net - I will look into the situation for
you and send you your password ASAP.

Once you have your log-in information, you may nominate stories and vote for
other peoples' nominations at:

http://mefawards.net/MEFA2010/

In the meantime you can begin familiarizing yourself with the site by using
the "log in as guest" option.

REMEMBER:
--- you may nominate a piece until 11:59 PM GMT on June 15.
--- authors must finalize a nomination by 11:59 PM GMT on June 21, or it
will not be able to compete. We really appreciate it if you can finish your
form a day or two early, in case anything needs correcting.

(For the official time go to any MEFA2010 webpage. The time that page was
loaded at will be displayed in the lower left corner, beside "Page Served
at:".

Thanks,

Marta (MEFA Admin.)

Bonnie L. Sherrell
Teacher at Large

"Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." LOTR

"Don't go where I can't follow."

Devona

Jun 6, 2010, 3:54:00 PM6/6/10
to blind...@googlegroups.com
I am confused.

When I started this list, I thought it was a poeetry writing thing or
somehting.

Help!

Jun 6, 2010, 4:28:04 PM6/6/10
to blind...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I am sorry Devona--as I've explained, the Middle Earth Fanfiction Awards is
intended to honor those who write fanfiction based on Tolkien's world. Yes, I
have a poem that has been nominated for an award in the contest, but I also have
a number of stories and even an essay as well.

I have had people here on Blind Horse ask me about the MEFAs, as I've taken part
in the contest since its inception shortly after I started writing fanfiction
some years ago. As a result, I try to let people know about the contest and the
MEFA website.

I am sorry this seems to confuse you so much! So far I have had thirteen of my
works and one I co-wrote with three other writers nominated for this year's
competition. It will be interesting to see how many more stories I'll have
nominated before nominations close on the fifteenth. I'm not able to nominate
any more works, as I've used up all twenty of my slots.

Devona

Jun 6, 2010, 5:04:55 PM6/6/10
to blind...@googlegroups.com
How does on joine in?

And how is blind horse I thought I left that one?

Devona

Jun 6, 2010, 6:14:07 PM6/6/10
to blind...@googlegroups.com
I posted the information on the MEFA nominations closing to the Blind Horse
list, so that is obviously the first post we've had to the list since May
fifteenth, Devona.

What is it that seems to attract you about the MEFAs? Do you want to write
yourself? If so, you might do better to join an email list such as the LOTR
gfic community where we discuss writing and share information about our
fascination with Tolkien's writing and so on. Do you want to write poetry?
There are email lists that focus on the writing of poetry.

I belong to a few lists regarding writing, although at this time they are all
focused on writing Tolkien fanfiction. The Henneth Annun list is for those who
post and read at the Henneth Annun Story Archive site, while the LOTR GFic
Community is for those who like writing Tolkien fanfiction but who don't want to
be bombarded with stories that are full of what we generally consider
inappropriate sex. We have a separate archive site now that was started by the
moderators of the LOTR Community email list, and we write stories monthly for
our monthly challenges, which are posted on LiveJournal. The A_L_E_C list is a
challenge list: a monthly challenge is issued, and everyone who wishes to take
part in the challenge writes to the proposed subject and forwards the resulting
stories to the moderator, who posts them anonymously on LiveJournal. We read
them and vote on which we like best of those that were posted in each division.

Most of those who write Tolkien fanfiction will post at one or more archive
site. I post at Stories of Arda, the Henneth Annun Story Archive, at
FanFiction.net, at TolkienFanFiction, the Many Paths to Tread site, and some in
my LiveJournal account. I also send samples of my stories to Council of
Rivendell and the Blind Science Fiction lists whenever I feel its appropriate.

When you briefly joined the MEFA list, you joined a list on which is discussed
the activities that occur as the MEFAs take place. We have had a number of
individuals whose stories were nominated who haven't responded as yet to the
nominations, so on a weekly basis Marta, who is the administrator for the MEFAs,
lets folks know who's proved to be hard to get hold of. Anyone who has failed
to finalize their nominations by a week after the nominations are closed will
have their stories removed from the competition.

Those who write Tolkien fanfiction rarely use their real names. I go by Larner;
Marta goes by Telperion; and so on. Many of the names don't make a lot of sense
unless you are really versed in the history of Arda, the name Tolkien gave the
world he created.

But if I understood better what you seems to draw you to ask about Tolkien
Fanfiction, perhaps I could better help you find a list that would be better for
you to join. At the MEFA site, however, you will see the list of stories that
have been nominated this year and can click on the links to read them.

Devona

Jun 6, 2010, 6:29:47 PM6/6/10
to blind...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for all that.

How do I get to the site to read?

And vote?

How to get to all list you wrote about?

I know some of them can get interesting at times but I can read between the
lines.

Thank you
djas...@windstream.net