New to BlenderFDS - some basic tips please

Tony de Bruyn

Dec 2, 2019, 3:56:46 PM12/2/19
to BlenderFDS discussion

I have built 3D models using background images in Pyrosim but it's expensive and I'm looking to use BlenderFDS to do the same.

I've worked through some of the Blender tutorials and thought I had got the idea of what it does, BUT, I'm confused.

I'm trying it on a simple 3 storey apartment building, to get the basics right.

My understanding is, essentially, that you create obstructions using a Plane and extruding it, or a Cube and modifying it, to create the "Lego" blocks.

My questions are:

  1. How do you set up the grid (FDS MESH) so that you can see the cells?
  2. How do you specify the "Lego" blocks (location, thickness, length, width) and then get them to snap to the cell boundaries?
Look forward to your help

Emanuele Gissi

Dec 3, 2019, 1:37:55 PM12/3/19
to blend...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony,
first of all, try to read the wiki pages here:
Then open the example cases. Lastly import a case that you already have, and see what happens.
Let me know if this helps as a starting point.

I am currently working on the new BlenderFDS 2.8x version.

Best,
Emanuele