does quicksilver run natively on the new M1 Macs on Apple Silicon?

Jamie Tilton

Feb 24, 2021, 6:14:55 PM2/24/21
to Quicksilver
the subject says it all really.  does anyone know if quicksilver has been updated to run natively on the new apple M1 Macs?  I just moved to the new M1 Mac mini and would love to install Quicksilver (without it slowing down my system thru Rosetta)...

Rob McBroom

Feb 24, 2021, 6:20:31 PM2/24/21
to Quicksilver
On 24 Feb 2021, at 12:36, Jamie Tilton wrote:

> the subject says it all really. does anyone know if quicksilver has
> been
> updated to run natively on the new apple M1 Macs?

It hasn’t. Mainly because building with more recent versions of Xcode
comes with some undesirable side-effects, but M1 support is only
available in the latest version.

> I just moved to the new M1 Mac mini and would love to install
> Quicksilver
> (without it slowing down my system thru Rosetta)...

I have no personal experience, but my understanding is that Intel code
generally runs faster on M1 chips than on Intel chips, so I don’t
think you need to worry about anything being slow.

--
Rob McBroom

Darryl

Jul 6, 2021, 7:31:26 AM7/6/21
to Quicksilver
As has been my custom for years, I installed Quicksilver on my new 13" MacBook Air and was disappointed  to see this message after extracting Quicksilver from the .dmg file and also installing Rosetta.

Model Name: MacBook Air
Chip: Apple M1
Memory: 16 GB
macOS 11.4
Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 2.34.23 PM.png

Rob McBroom

Jul 6, 2021, 7:35:36 AM7/6/21
to Quicksilver
On 3 Jul 2021, at 15:46, Darryl wrote:

> As has been my custom for years, I installed Quicksilver on my new 13"
> MacBook Air and was disappointed to see this message after extracting
> Quicksilver from the .dmg file and also installing Rosetta.

That’s about code signing, not the M1 transition. If you right-click
Quicksilver and choose “Open” once, it’ll launch normally after
that.

--
Rob McBroom

Nathan Henrie

Jul 6, 2021, 4:08:38 PM7/6/21
to Quicksilver
Yes, I have gotten that code signing popup for any number of apps for a few years now.

Quicksilver runs fine on M1 when compiled from source. I don't think the latest release is universal yet though, which I was hoping to help with. I think once https://github.com/actions/virtual-environments/issues/2486 is closed and macos-11 is available on Github Actions, I was hoping to look at getting universal release builds automatically compiled, though looking through the tooling for QS releases this might be a bigger project than I anticipated.

joseph...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2021, 10:53:51 AM12/30/21
to Quicksilver
I'm wondering about the status M1 QS?

Nathan Henrie

Dec 30, 2021, 11:41:59 AM12/30/21
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Working great for me for months.

We're working on the signing issues, you might try a recent dev build (not a stable release): <https://github.com/quicksilver/Quicksilver/suites/4748416340/artifacts/131411427>

Nate

joseph...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2022, 11:01:51 AM1/7/22
to Quicksilver
Great, looking forward to it! Sometimes QS gets jittery, and I do carefully maintain the index on a diet, so I'm hoping this might help.