QSApp.com/wiki updates/request

21 vues

philostein

non lue,
22 mars 2011, 09:32:0922/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
Patrick and I have done a lot of updates to the QSApp.com/wiki:

- All* the plugins are in http://qsapp.com/wiki/Plugin_Reference now,
including the info from QS Preferences>Plug-ins and a column to link
to tutorials. (This is the page to add any plugin info to now.)

- The front page has been simplified and tidied up a bit.

- The Tutorials page has subheadings for Quicksilver and the various
sections in QS Preferences.

- Pages have begun to be created for individual plugins, e.g. the
Shelf Module is at http://qsapp.com/wiki/Shelf_Module

- The wiki can have embedded video from various sites including
YouTube, see http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EmbedVideo

What it really needs now is for people to get stuck in and help with
the compatibility chart in the Plugin Reference. (Which plugins work
with which QS and OS.) Then more links to tutorials in the Tutorial
column on the same page. (Offsite links are fine.) And if you're
ambitious, how about creating some wiki plugin pages? Set up a wiki
account which I, er… can't remember how to do. If you don't want to do
that, post any info you might have here.

Cheers, Phil.

*At least, all the ones from QSApp.com/Plugins and QS Preferences>Plug-
ins (I think). There must be other offsite plugins that we've missed.

Patrick Robertson

non lue,
22 mars 2011, 17:09:1822/03/2011
à blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
If you want to set up a wiki account, then email me or Rob McBroom and we can sort one out.

As Rob said, we've put a lot of work recently into getting a decent list of plugins up. I'm sure there are still some missing, and neither of us know about everything, or the compatibility of all the plugins.

If you want more motivation for filling in the wiki, this is going to help us CONSIDERABLY for when we start using QSApp.com to push plugins to Quicksilver.
You've probably all thought the descriptions in QS are pretty vague for some of the plugins - filling in the description will help.
You've probably come across plugins not working in QS / for your operating system - filling in the compatibility columns means we can make sure only the right plugins show up for your QS version, and you Mac OS X version.

There's still lots of stuff that needs to be added to the wiki, so we'd appreciate any help towards 'keeping QS alive'

Patrick

junk1

non lue,
24 mars 2011, 16:57:2924/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
I don't have the skill with QS that most on this board have, but I
nonetheless thought I'd give this a go.

Before I got started I thought it might beneficial to have a common
template. I've attached a rough draft of what I was thinking about
below. It's real rough, and I encourage anyone interested to tear it
apart.

Let me know your suggestions.

Howard Melman

non lue,
24 mars 2011, 19:30:1924/03/2011
à blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Just some quick thoughts.

Modules have more than just actions. They have proxies and types and catalog entries.

To me, instructions and examples are too similar. Have you seen the Quick Reference Sheet I did?
http://mysite.verizon.net/hmelman/QSRef.pdf
(listed on http://qsapp.com/wiki/Where_is_everything%3F)
I think it's useful with just a line containing direct object, action, indirect object (or whatever parlance you want to use)
Still, I think a screen shot showing an example command window would be great for the wiki.

One of the hardest parts of writing the manual was in standardizing on terminology because QS isn't consistent. I recommend using the terminology I use in the manual. :)

FYI, a note for the plugins list, instead of saying Current: Yes/No, I think it would be better to be Known to be current through and give a version number. That way the list won't get out of date with new releases. As people know a module works with later releases, the list could be updated. My guess is that a lot of modules aren't used by many people and they'll slowly wither. That's fine. Seeing which ones do get updated, gives a sense of popularity and helps devs figure out where to devote time.

Howard

Patrick Robertson

non lue,
24 mars 2011, 20:17:1124/03/2011
à blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
I definitely think it's a good idea to have standardised template for each module page. It would make things much easier to read.
I agree with Howard about adding a few more sections to it with proxies, types and catalog entries.

There could also be a section at the bottom with external videos/links to tutorials.

I'm not quite following you Howard on the plugins list front. Do you mean stick in the version of QS/OS X that the plugin works with, then if they get updated to we can just change e.g. 10.5 to 10.6 etc.

junk1

non lue,
25 mars 2011, 09:51:1725/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
Great! I'll try to incorporate those ideas.

Which interface should we use for the examples?

philostein

non lue,
25 mars 2011, 11:22:2825/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
I suppose Bezel is the default interface, but I don't think it's too
important if you can see the command structure (I use BezelHUD a lot).

Definitely go with your idea, it's far better to do and revise later,
than to worry if it wasn't quite right in the first place.

Please post again if you want any help/opinion.

Howard Melman

non lue,
25 mars 2011, 11:44:0525/03/2011
On Mar 25, 2011, at 11:22 AM, philostein <phild...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Definitely go with your idea, it's far better to do and revise later,
> than to worry if it wasn't quite right in the first place.

I agree 100%.

Howard

Howard Melman

non lue,
24 mars 2011, 21:06:0724/03/2011
à blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Yes in the plugin list put B58 instead of Yes. Maybe it's a separate column for OSX version but I'm not sure that's necessary. It's usually that QS itself has issues with OSX versions, and plugins usually have issues with QS. I suspect any plugin OSX issue could be handled in a note rather than needing a specific column.

Howard

Howard Melman

non lue,
25 mars 2011, 10:22:0525/03/2011
On Mar 25, 2011, at 9:51 AM, junk1 wrote:

> Great! I'll try to incorporate those ideas.
>
> Which interface should we use for the examples?

The default interface is probably best, but I find Primer to be quite ugly and it's very large. So for the manual I went with bezel since that's what I use and like. It's probably best that the wiki be consistent but it's probably not a big deal. I suspect it's better to use an interface that does work, so BezelHUD (if I understand the current status correctly) probably isn't a good choice.

I put a page in the manual showing all the interfaces, the wiki probably deserves an Interfaces page too so people can see examples.

Howard

philostein

non lue,
25 mars 2011, 11:46:5425/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
The Yes/No column was just a draft to be honest. Isn't the problem the
multiplication of compatibility issues caused by having different
usable versions of QS with different iterations of OS?

Perhaps one column each for 10.5 and 10.6 with the latest plugin
version known to work?

I would like to get more people interested in the functions of
Quicksilver they maybe never knew existed, and make sure there's a
prominent link to Howard's manual at the top of each tutorial if they
need further clarification. The manual can explain QS far better than
me (and most people I suspect).

On Mar 25, 8:30 am, Howard Melman <hmel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just some quick thoughts.
>
> Modules have more than just actions. They have proxies and types and catalog entries.
>
> To me, instructions and examples are too similar. Have you seen the Quick Reference Sheet I did?http://mysite.verizon.net/hmelman/QSRef.pdf
> (listed onhttp://qsapp.com/wiki/Where_is_everything%3F)

dsanson

non lue,
25 mars 2011, 13:39:3625/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
On Mar 22, 9:32 am, philostein <phildoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you don't want to do that, post any info you might have here.

I quickly ran through the list of plugins I'm using and compared them
to the information on the wiki. I'm running 10.6.6 and b58 3841. Here
are a few notes:

The Calculator Module (mislabeled on the wiki as Calculator Action) is
working fine for me. Over the years, I've never had trouble with it.

The Firefox/Mozilla Module: As I recall, one needed to apply an
about:config tweak to get current versions of Firefox to save
bookmarks in a flat file. And I'm not sure whether or not the History
scanning is working.

The Tatau Module: I used to be quite fond of this. At some point, I
decided it was causing frequent crashes, and so stopped using it. But
I just tested it and didn't have any immediate problems. (But I've
grown so fond of Mini-Bezel that I can't really see going back to
Bezel just to use Tatau.)

I also have a Remote Hosts Module. I don't think I really use it, but
I noticed its not on the list.

As for screen shots, you might consider Mini-Bezel, if only because it
is a bit smaller than Bezel, and so won't take up quite so much screen
real estate on the webpage.

David

Patrick Robertson

non lue,
25 mars 2011, 17:42:5525/03/2011
à blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
I've made the changes you (dsanson) suggested to the plugin page, and added a Firefox Module page with a bit of rough info.
Seeing as you seem to know your stuff about QS, would you be keen to help us out on the wiki? I can set up an account for you if you email me your desired username and (temporary) password.

philostein

non lue,
25 mars 2011, 17:54:3225/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
Thanks David, this is great. I never used the Tatau Module before, and
it still works perfectly.

I updated the Calculator and Tatau info. I added the Remote Hosts
Module - sorry, I must have missed that one somehow. (If you're
reading Rob, does this work still?)

The Firefox thing - I think I tried that once and couldn't get it to
work. Does anyone else have more info?

The interface size is not such a problem, just resize the images
(75%?) to take up less space. The 'Scale Image…' action is your
friend. :)

Thanks for all the info!

Henning Jungkurth

non lue,
25 mars 2011, 21:17:5225/03/2011
à blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
> The Firefox thing - I think I tried that once and couldn't get it to
> work. Does anyone else have more info?

Well, Firefox changed the way it stores its information. The
bookmarks, the history and some other stuff are now stored in a SQLite
database, a file called places.sqlite
As dsanson mentioned, it's possible to tell Firefox to auto export the
bookmarks to a file called bookmarks.html by calling up about:config
and setting browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML to true. I think it then
exports the bookmarks on quitting. This file can be read by QS and be
used to access the firefox bookmarks.

At some point, the plugin should be updated to read the places.sqlite directly.

Rob McBroom

non lue,
29 mars 2011, 14:49:5029/03/2011
On Mar 25, 2011, at 5:54 PM, philostein wrote:

> I updated the Calculator and Tatau info. I added the Remote Hosts
> Module - sorry, I must have missed that one somehow. (If you're
> reading Rob, does this work still?)

I was out of town - catching up.

You mean does the plug-in work? I think it was written after 10.6 was out, so… yeah. :)

Although I freely admit that I only tested it for about 3 seconds with B58. It works great with B54.

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

junk1

non lue,
29 mars 2011, 15:12:5429/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
Here's the revision. Let me know what I got wrong.

I'd like to do something to divide it up better too, but can't think
of anything. Any help much appreciated.

http://sites.google.com/site/junk1temp/files/WikiTemplate0.2.zip

Patrick Robertson

non lue,
29 mars 2011, 17:24:0729/03/2011
à blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
> Although I freely admit that I only tested it for about 3 seconds with B58. It works great with B54.

Works beautifully on B58 for me ;)

> Here's the revision. Let me know what I got wrong.

Looks good to me. I think it may be good to have a short one liner description at the top of every page (similar to what you see in QS when you click the 'i' but better as these are pretty rubbish)

Does everyone think images are necessary? They look nice but I'm not sure...

philostein

non lue,
29 mars 2011, 17:29:2029/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
That looks really great. Do you have an wiki account? Can you try your
template on a page?

A couple of ideas:

- Put a summary at the top to explain and 'sell' the overall use and
value of the plugin, and have an example there.

- Make it clear the 'Email to… (Compose)' action is not dependant on
the Address Book Module, rather the recipient Address Book contact.
Perhaps have an 'Objects' section with 'Address Book contact' and give
'Email to… (Compose)' as an example.

- Is it necessary to have the requirements for each Action? Maybe
'Extra requirements' if there's something on top of the basic app and
plugin.

In the wiki edit page, you can add dividers by typing '----' (no
quotes). Edit some pages without changes to see the format.

I'll start to move my pages over to your template when I get time, and
I'll post about it here.

Cheers, Phil.

philostein

non lue,
29 mars 2011, 17:45:3429/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
Perhaps just one image near the top as an example, then a template
format for other actions.

What about a table with First pane, second pane, third pane columns?

On Mar 30, 6:24 am, Patrick Robertson <robertson.patr...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Although I freely admit that I only tested it for about 3 seconds with
>
> B58. It works great with B54.
>
> Works beautifully on B58 for me ;)
>
> > Here's the revision. Let me know what I got wrong.
>
> Looks good to me. I think it may be good to have a short one liner
> description at the top of every page (similar to what you see in QS when you
> click the 'i' but better as these are pretty rubbish)
>
> Does everyone think images are necessary? They look nice but I'm not sure...

philostein

non lue,
31 mars 2011, 02:01:0531/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
I've taken a lot of junk1's ideas and Patrick's wish to have fewer
screenshots, and come up with this:
http://qsapp.com/wiki/Opera_Module

There's 4 sections:

- Overview
- Preference Items
- Commands
- Tutorials

Some details:

- Overview: A quick summary of what the plugin does with a interface
window image (75% size jpg 20 kb).

- Preference Items: What the plugin adds to Preferences. I've bulleted
the navigation structure to hopefully make the items easier to find.

- Commands: Instead of just Actions, I think it's better to list
Commands. Plugins sometimes add objects (e.g., scripts, Address Book
contacts) and catalog entries as well as actions. There's columns for
extra requirements (e.g., Proxy Objects catalog entry needs to be
checked) and notes.

- Tutorials: Videos (no bandwidth), walkthroughs, hints and tips here.

I think it'll be easier to see all the info while still being compact.

Let me know what you think. If this is a goer, I'll add a template
page to the wiki to make it easier for anyone to add pages.

Notes: Opera's current web page Proxy is broken in ß58? How to align
text to the top of tables in the wiki?

Cheers, Phil.
Le message a été supprimé

Rob McBroom

non lue,
31 mars 2011, 08:35:3831/03/2011
On Mar 31, 2011, at 2:04 AM, philostein wrote:

> Let me know if you think. If this is a goer, I'll add a template page

> to the wiki to make it easier for anyone to add pages.

I like it, myself.

I’ll bet we could achieve almost the same result automagically by looking at a plug-in’s Info.plist (which I think is in the works) but until then, this will be great.

Howard Melman

non lue,
31 mars 2011, 10:33:1831/03/2011
à blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
I mostly like it. The following is longer than I thought to type, but I think it's mostly nits. I think it's important to get the example template right so others can copy it effectively but feel free to say I'm being too picky.

Overview and tutorials are great. The Overview example text could use a little more detail. All plugins "Help Quicksilver interact with" and "Opera" is the name of the module so the only word that provides info is "browser". If you don't know what Opera is, it explains that it's a browser and that is very useful. I'd rather see something like "Support for the Opera browser, including an Open With Opera action and exposing bookmarks and more in the catalog." I somehow feel the link to the author's homepage should be in some template but I'm not sure where (maybe with version number?).

I like the information but not necessarily the layout of the giant grids with mostly empty space. I don't understand why having an info button should have the important first spot. The most important thing that plugins add are Actions and Catalog items and I think those should be first in that order. I do like the hierarchy being shown in the catalog and the type for actions but it took me a little to figure it out. Maybe bolding the actions and catalog entries like they are in the Commands section to make them stand out?

In commands I don't understand "Items in brackets are additional instructions." I don't see brackets, [], though I do see parenthesis (). And it looks like additional instructions are in the Extra Requirements and Notes columns.

I believe Proxy Objects requires Advanced Features to be enabled so that should be listed in requirements and you probably shouldn't start off with something that requires Advanced Features. Also Current Web Page comes from the Safari plugin (which should be in requirements) so while it works, it probably shouldn't be here at all since it's the same as URL. What I'd do in this case is under Operas current web page, in the note I'd say not to be confused with the badly named Current web page proxy object which refers only to Safari's current page. For the Copy from Opera to scripts I think it's useful to list them all on their own line and not just in the note say there are others. I'm guessing there's are copy to Opera variants and currently I don't know their name.

Is "Operas open tabs" a proxy object or only available via right-arrow into Opera.app? I assume Opera needs to be running for this so that should be in the notes. I'd think these things should be grouped together and not separated by a proxy object example. Maybe these should be up in the preferences items section but I'm not sure how.

I appreciate that saying "(Text and URL actions)" tells you a list of available actions but I think I still want to see specific examples. I'm not sure what I'd do with an open tab other than show or close and these aren't text or URL actions. I assume searches work with Find With... and Search For... which require the Web Searches plugin and probably should be listed explicitly for people to find and need something in the third pane (its listed as blank).

Howard

junk1

non lue,
31 mars 2011, 16:04:0031/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
Good:
Table (great!)
Preferences section
Extra requirements column
Overview section

Issues:
No descriptions
No examples

Don't understand:
What are "Text and URL actions"?
How will different keystrokes be communicated?
ex) ctrl + enter
How will multipanel (term?) commands be communicated?
ex) display a contacts address book field in large type

I think that the main issues I'm having might have to do with our
respective understandings of the target audience. QS is a geek tool,
so my approach of coming at it from a dummies perspective might not be
what you guys are looking for.

I've always warmed to the idea of selling benefits rather than
features. That's why I was thinking the "You wanna do this?" "Here's
how to do it" rational would work. I have to admit, that this approach
might be more suited to a tutorial than a wiki though.

philostein

non lue,
31 mars 2011, 16:59:1431/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
Thanks for your thoughts Howard!

I've got a some reasons for the layout. I'll revise the template later
and get back to you.

philostein

non lue,
31 mars 2011, 17:10:0431/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
Thanks, junk1.

The overview can be anything - I just copied the text from the last
page.

The tutorial video has most of the setup in it. Also, examples could
go here - I just didn't have time to write any!

I think it's better to have all the functionality of the plugin in the
table. We don't know the readers level - some might think they know
everything but see something new.

There's a Pane 3 column, but there's no pane 3 Opera actions(?) Ctrl
+enter - any plugin specific actions in there?

I'll ger back to you later with more - I'm going to work.

Cheers, Phil.

Patrick Robertson

non lue,
31 mars 2011, 17:48:5931/03/2011
à blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Nice to get some kind of template/content up.

I have to agree with Howard on most of his points. I feel it should be as easily accessible as possible, especially for new comers. The big table is a bit in your face, and a few of the columns are left blank (I think this is because of the idea that we'll just copy/paste the template)

I'm not even quite sure what the "info 'i' button" column actually means. (Sorry!)

Why not use the "wikitable" class for the tables? (like the plugin ref) I think that looks nicer, and if we use classes in CSS it means it'll be easy to just update the styles in the future, as opposed to having to edit every page.

All in all, good work and a good start.

Descending bullet points/lists are good, tutorials are good and some images are good.
... maybe sooner rather than later we should set up some kind of donations scheme going for keeping the site online. It's still not costing me a penny, but bandwidth is ramping up rapidly (due to the success of the site!)

Patrick Robertson

non lue,
31 mars 2011, 23:50:2131/03/2011
à Blacktree: Quicksilver
Forwarding this so hopefully it's in the right thread...

I haven't had a chance to try out the code, but it definitely sounds like a good initial template maker. Then we can modify it to add things like tutorials and extended descriptions. A lot of the descriptions in the plugins are either non-existent or unhelpful.