result ranking(?) while going down folder hierarchy is suddenly misbehaving

Aa Kk

May 3, 2020, 7:08:09 PM5/3/20
to Quicksilver
I've been using Quicksilver for a long time now, although I haven't  needed to configure anything for a long  time now.. my most frequent use for it is to navigate folder deep folder hierarchies (often on mounted network drives) that mostly store pdfs.

I haven't configured the catalogue to scan my network drives, or more than the normal depth even on default folders, and I mostly rely on memory to navigate to the appropriate directory when looking for a file, which works for me.
So (say) if I want to get to the folder ~/pCloud Drive/books/maths/combinatorics/ the sequence of key pressed I would normally need is something like p / b / m / c and then I would type what I remember from the file name I'm looking for. Sometimes the intermediate level folders contain both files and child folders, if it matters... but the point is normally as I navigate, Quicksilver is great about narrowing down the results to the contents of the folder I am in, based on my keystrokes, rather than other stuff.

However, suddenly (as of an hour ago) it's all gone awry. Sticking to the example above, I'm able to reach the "books" folder initially, but then when I press "m" to go into the "mathematics" folder it shows me an application that starts with "m" in my ~/Applications folder rather than the subfolder. (The folder I'm expecting to see is showing up further down in the results.) Things get worse as I go deeper, with results being the name of Applications or files from the contents of scanned folders such as Downloads and Documents, rather than the folder I'm in. (The contents of the folders are appearing in the "Browsing" list as normal and I can navigate through them using the arrow keys, but that's certainly not convenient.)

I have not knowingly changed any settings. I haven't  even been in QS preferences lately. I tried clearing the cache as described in the FAQ on qsapp.com, but to no benefit.

My QS version is 1.6.0  (4025) running on Catalina 10.15.5 Beta (19F62f)

Hoping someone can help!

Rob McBroom

May 3, 2020, 7:15:13 PM5/3/20
to Quicksilver
On 29 Apr 2020, at 7:12, Aa Kk wrote:

> However, suddenly (as of an hour ago) it's all gone awry. Sticking to
> the
> example above, I'm able to reach the "books" folder initially, but
> then
> when I press "m" to go into the "mathematics" folder it shows me an
> application that starts with "m" in my ~/Applications folder rather
> than
> the subfolder.
>
> I have not knowingly changed any settings. I haven't even been in QS
> preferences lately. I tried clearing the cache as described in the FAQ
> on
> qsapp.com, but to no benefit.

You were on the right track looking at the FAQ, although I see now that
we have an older version duplicated in the wiki. Maybe you were looking
there. Anyway…

https://qsapp.com/manual/FAQ/#quicksilver-always-searches-the-entire-catalog

--
Rob McBroom

Aa Kk

May 7, 2020, 7:17:47 AM5/7/20
to Quicksilver
Thanks! Actually after posting my question I realised since it was something I'd likely changed inadvertently I should take a closer look at the interface.. sure enough, found the little "Filter results" cog that I'd not really noticed before.