how to use Dictionary Plugin

ash

Feb 15, 2008, 12:10:41 PM2/15/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Hi all. I installed the Dictionary Plugin, but which action is that
will let you look up a word? I don't see any that let's me do that.
Thanks for any help.

mickey

Feb 15, 2008, 4:24:51 PM2/15/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I do:
ctrl-space (invoke QS)
. (enter text mode)
[type word]
tab
defin...e with dict.org OR
dic...tionary OR
the...saurus.

Ashish Agarwal

Feb 15, 2008, 5:18:55 PM2/15/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I kept choosing Dictionary in the first pane, which is the wrong order of things.

hauntedtapedeck

Feb 15, 2008, 5:25:32 PM2/15/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Whenever I use the regular "Dictionary" selection in the 2nd pane, i
always get this result: "WORD" could not be found. Same for Thesaurus.
If I use "Look Up in Dictionary," it works fine, but launches the full
app rather than just the little window. Anyone have any ideas?

Ashish Agarwal

Feb 15, 2008, 6:11:14 PM2/15/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
> Whenever I use the regular "Dictionary" selection in the 2nd pane, i
> always get this result: "WORD" could not be found. Same for Thesaurus.

Strange... it works fine for me. How about Define with dict.org, does that work for you?

>If I use "Look Up in Dictionary," it works fine

Actually, how do you get to this option? I don't see this.

Korean_Ian

Feb 15, 2008, 8:30:42 PM2/15/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I am having the same problem.
Define with Dictionary.org works fine for me, but Dictionary gives me
the $word could not be found result.
I am a beginner in terms of using the full potential of Quicksilver,
so please bear with me.

Howard Melman

Feb 15, 2008, 8:41:32 PM2/15/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Could it be that it only works with ascii (english) words? QS isn't
all that internationalized.

Howard

Brusik

Feb 15, 2008, 9:04:56 PM2/15/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver

> Define with Dictionary.org works fine for me, but Dictionary gives me
> the $word could not be found result.

same problem here!

seansean

Feb 15, 2008, 10:19:20 PM2/15/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I had the same problem a ways back and came across this AppleScript on
the old boards. Just add it to your catalog or actions folder, type
in a word to the first pane and bring up this script in the second
pane and run it. Your word should be looked up in the system's
dictionary. Sorry, I can't remember who originally posted this. Hope
it helps!

---------------------
using terms from application "Quicksilver"
on process text lookup
tell application "Dictionary" to activate
tell application "System Events" to tell process "Dictionary"
keystroke "f" using {command down, option down}
keystroke "a" using command down
keystroke lookup
keystroke return
end tell
end process text
end using terms from
--------------------

Brusik

Feb 16, 2008, 4:43:43 PM2/16/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
THANKS soo much!!! works fine for me =)

for all the other beginners out there (like me):
To install:

1. Copy and paste the lines in a script, e.g.
"WorkingDictionary.scpt"
2. Copy it to ~/Library/Application Support/Quicksilver/Actions/
3. Restart Quicksilver (CTRL-CMD-Q)
4. Invoke Quicksilver and enjoy!

Korean_Ian

Feb 17, 2008, 9:17:56 AM2/17/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
So I've got the script. But now I find that QS did not create a folder
in Application Support.
I have tried repairing permissions on /library and then re-installing
QS. Didn't help.

Can I simply create the folder myself? Somehow I don't think this will
work...
Running 10.5.2 on a MacbookPro

Howard Melman

Feb 17, 2008, 9:49:27 AM2/17/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Quicksilver should have created
~/Library/Application Support/Quicksilver
when it was first run. If it didn't, QS won't work. The cause is
usually that permissons on the Application Support folder are wrong.
You should have read and write and your account should be the owner.
People have reported that kGTD screws up the permissions.

The ~/Library/Application Support/Quicksilver/Actions folder is not
created by QS and can be created by you by hand and it should work fine.

Howard

hauntedtapedeck

Feb 17, 2008, 1:29:34 PM2/17/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
This works, but it has the same effect as the "Look Up in Dictionary"
option I mentioned above (to answer Ashish, I don't know how it got
there!), i.e., it fully launches Dictionary.app. Not quite the same as
the little window that "Dictionary" brings up. Nevertheless, thanks
for the help and replies.

Korean_Ian

Feb 17, 2008, 10:45:22 PM2/17/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Well all I can say is that QS works, but that folder is not there.
I have read/write permissions on Library/application support. Folder
still not there. unless it's a hidden folder? I can't see why it would
be though.
I don't have kGTD installed.
Thanks for the help. :)

Howard Melman

Feb 18, 2008, 10:02:58 AM2/18/08
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure you're looking in ~/Library and not /Library? The ~
stands for you home folder.

Howard

Korean_Ian

Feb 18, 2008, 12:00:53 PM2/18/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Slaps forehead DOH!
Thanks very much for pointing out what an ass I am....heh heh.
Got it working....thank you all for your help!