Moving from slickrun

Roee Friedman

Sep 3, 2023, 1:14:55 PM9/3/23
to Quicksilver
Hello,
I'm new to quicksliver and looking for an example, similar to what I had on SlickRun.
I had a shortcut called "google" which was mapped to the following link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=$I$

To use it I'm typing "google hammer", and the default browser opens with this link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hammer

How can achieve this in quicksilver?
A link to an example will be great.

Thanks

Rob McBroom

Sep 3, 2023, 1:31:10 PM9/3/23
to Quicksilver

On 3 Sep 2023, at 7:54, Roee Friedman wrote:

I had a shortcut called "google" which was mapped to the following link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=

To use it I'm typing "google hammer", and the default browser opens

How can achieve this in quicksilver?
A link to an example will be great.

Assuming you have the Web Search plug-in installed, it should be pretty simple.

  1. Call up Quicksilver
  2. Type enough to find the Google search item. (For most people just ‘G’ is enough. If not, the more you use that item, the less you’ll have to type to find it over time.)
  3. Hit ⇥ twice to get to the 3rd pane, or if you’re using the default “smart” spacebar behavior, just hitting spacebar should take you there
  4. Type “hammer” and hit ↩

So all together, it should just be “g␣hammer↩”.

There’s more detailed information in the manual, but it was written before Smart spacebar was introduced.

--
Rob McBroom

Roee Friedman

Sep 3, 2023, 3:30:20 PM9/3/23
to Quicksilver
Thanks.
I'm looking for something more general.
I.e. for Amazon it's:
Keyword: amazon
Link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=$I$
Typing amazon 1984, will result in https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1984
Same goes for Jira, worldcat and so on.
That is, the search is not necessarily done by google, but per specific site.

Thanks again.
Roee

Nathan Henrie

Sep 3, 2023, 3:45:11 PM9/3/23
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
I've never been a heavy user of the web search plug-in (Firefox with DDG as my default engine works pretty well for this purpose and syncs between my Mac and my iPhone). However, it is a super popular plug-in for exactly the use case you're describing, including custom search engines you implement yourself. Dig into its docs and examples.

Nate

On Sep 3, 2023, at 1:30 PM, Roee Friedman <roee.f...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks.

Rob McBroom

Sep 11, 2023, 4:05:27 PM9/11/23
to Quicksilver
On 3 Sep 2023, at 15:30, Roee Friedman wrote:

> I'm looking for something more general.
> I.e. for Amazon it's:
> Keyword: amazon
> Link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=$I$
> Typing amazon 1984, will result in https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1984
> Same goes for Jira, worldcat and so on.
> That is, the search is not necessarily done by google, but per specific
> site.

Yeah, you can do this for any site (except you should never need to type out the full word once Quicksilver learns your habits). What you call a keyword will just be a web search in your Quicksilver catalog. So once you have an Amazon search added, you just search for it (typing “az” should be enough) then go to the 3rd pane to enter your search term. Again, with Smart spacebar behavior this would mean typing something like “az␣1984”.

The web search plug-in comes with two lists (Simple and Full) that come with Google, Amazon, and lots of other common ones pre-configured. (Look under Plugins in the Catalog preferences.)

I find these too noisy and don’t like the way some of them are named, so I just uncheck those and create my own. (In the catalog prefs, hit the + button at the bottom and choose “Web Search List”.)

See https://qsapp.com/manual/plugins/websearch/#custom-web-searches-catalog

--
Rob McBroom

Roee Friedman

Sep 12, 2023, 3:54:32 AM9/12/23
to Quicksilver
Thanks a lot.
Truth is I did not manage to convince QS to work the way I need, so I've moved to raycast.
I'll keep your answer in my mind, maybe I'll try it sometime.

Roee