QS development status?

1 view

HotFreaks

Sep 17, 2008, 5:04:10 AM9/17/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
What is the current state of QS development? B54 has been around for
quite some time now, and the newest development version available
appears to be B56a, which is a couple months old now. Also, looking at
the plugin list, there only appears to be one plugin that is newer
than 2007.

Has QS development stalled, or am I not looking in the right place?

Patrick

Sep 17, 2008, 3:04:22 PM9/17/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Plugin development is slow, because the source for all the plugins
hasn't been released (so we can't get it). This is mainly because
Alcor DOES want to stop development of the current QS. There are quite
a few updates to the plugins (the ones that have been released) here:
http://code.google.com/p/blacktree-elements-public/

although you will need to compile & build them yourself.

QS is still being worked on by some of us, I think we're just about
ready for another release - there's one problem that I've found, and
if that's fixed we can probably release it as B57. It'll be available
from the google code site.

I emailed Alcor (Nicholas - the QS creator) a few days ago about
something, and when I asked how development of the 'new' QS was going
he said
"It is going well. Hopefully I'll have something to show in the next
few months."

Cryptic as ever really

Have faith in QS. It will live on!

nontoppo

Sep 17, 2008, 6:55:59 PM9/17/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
On Sep 17, 8:04 pm, Patrick <robertson.patr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> QS is still being worked on by some of us, I think we're just about
> ready for another release - there's one problem that I've found, and
> if that's fixed we can probably release it as B57. It'll be available
> from the google code site.

Thanks Patrick and Etienne!

Why don't you guys set up a tip jar somewhere, I'm pretty sure quite a
lot of us would like to give some change for the useful work you've
done on keeping QS alive until... mystery QS2 ...materialises and is
actually useful (we have a way to go!)

Patrick

Sep 18, 2008, 9:42:41 AM9/18/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I'm exactly the same as Nicholas. I'm not doing this for the money,
but because I don't want QS to die. And to be honest, I haven't done
that much, it's Etienne that's done most of the work!

If you really feel like rewarding then getting me a copy of Hillegass'
latest book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cocoa-Programming-Mac-OS-X/dp/0321503619/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=firefoxbrowser-21&s=books&qid=1221745032&sr=8-1
it would mean I could learn cocoa properly and do even more great
things to QS! - I'm still just learning, but don't have any real
material to learn with :(

If anybody wants it, I'd be happy to compile & build all of the
plugins that Etienne has been working on and updating so they can be
downloaded. We really need to ask Nicholas if he can update the ones
on the blacktree site but somehow I don't see that happening, and I
don't really want to make him waste time that could be spent
developing the new QS ;)

Roll on QS2!

Patrick

AIcor

Sep 18, 2008, 11:08:04 AM9/18/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Have faith . I'm working as hard as I can to get something ready for
you all. I'm sorry development has fallen off the radar, but trust me
that I'm still thinking about this stuff night and day and that being
quiet about it is the easiest way to get it done.

Julian Montez

Sep 18, 2008, 3:52:46 PM9/18/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Awesome news! I was hoping you'd get back to development again. :D

RC

Sep 19, 2008, 3:38:30 AM9/19/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
right on! i love quicksilver....keep up the good work

rc

sergei

Sep 19, 2008, 9:15:05 AM9/19/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
QS is, from far, the best and most useful Mac app. ever done.
Jusr keep on the great work.

Regards.

s.

pendolino

Sep 19, 2008, 9:23:03 AM9/19/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
it IS quite amazing how profound this little app is. even when it does
not do everything it still comes out shining because of how much it
manages to achieve quickly and unobtrusively. i haven't risked
updating it for ages (1 year at least) and i can say it works
confidently without a hitch. every one or two weeks it may crash but
its become more and more rare.

good luck to whoever is doing the development and let us know if you
ever need support.

compulsiveguile

Sep 19, 2008, 11:28:31 AM9/19/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
I'm definitely looking forward to this new version of QS. I was having
a discussion with one of my friends the other day about how "naked" I
feel when I have a Mac and no Quicksilver. It's just... weird.

Tartofour

Sep 20, 2008, 9:12:47 AM9/20/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver
Keep on the good work, there are a lot of mac users that can't live
without Quicksilver. I personaly don't know how I would email things
or search telephone numbers without this gem.

Gavin

Sep 20, 2008, 3:41:48 AM9/20/08
to Blacktree: Quicksilver

I had been wondering myself about the status of quicksilver having not
heard
anything for so long. This is awesome news however.

Anxiously awaiting QS2!