Sonoma Issues

Sean Constantine

Oct 27, 2023, 12:17:04 PM10/27/23
to Quicksilver
Like others posting issues with Quicksilver since updating to macOS 14 Sonoma:
  • Unable to even open preferences or any menu drop-downs
  • Once clicking Quicksilver icon in the macOS menubar, keystrokes are captured so I cannot even use any other application without quitting or killing the PID
  • Results appear in upper left corner
The tool is now 100% broken for my Apple silicon systems now on Sonoma.

Any workarounds or ideas to try?

Thanks~

Rob McBroom

Oct 28, 2023, 10:57:48 AM10/28/23
to Quicksilver

On 16 Oct 2023, at 20:16, Sean Constantine wrote:

Like others posting issues with Quicksilver since updating to macOS 14
Sonoma:

- Unable to even open preferences or any menu drop-downs
- Once clicking Quicksilver icon in the macOS menubar, keystrokes are

captured so I cannot even use any other application without quitting or
killing the PID

- Results appear in upper left corner

The tool is now 100% broken for my Apple silicon systems now on Sonoma.

Any workarounds or ideas to try?

Try running this in Terminal before launching Quicksilver:

defaults write com.blacktree.Quicksilver 'Use Effects' 0

--
Rob McBroom

Joshua Nixon

Nov 10, 2023, 2:48:39 PM11/10/23
to Quicksilver

Isn't helping unfortunately. Even after quitting Quicksilver the Dock is unresponsive. Have to force quit Finder after QS launch (and subsequent force close of QS). After trying the window positioning fix in Terminal, the "hold Cmd-Q to quit" window shows correctly in center of screen (rather than top left), but no other menus in the program are functional and keeping it open captures all keystroke entries.

Sean Constantine

Nov 14, 2023, 11:05:57 AM11/14/23
to Quicksilver
Do we have any other ideas, or a build update to address this problem?   The app is non-usable with this issue since updating to Sonoma / macOS v14.  Thx

Nathan Henrie

Nov 14, 2023, 1:10:57 PM11/14/23
to blacktree-...@googlegroups.com
Sonoma has introduced a bunch of major issues for which we don't have fixes yet.

I've been slowly toiling away at https://github.com/quicksilver/Quicksilver/issues/2962, in which I demonstrate that at least some of the UI issues are related to changes in the MacOS private APIs, which seems to take a great deal of time and effort to reverse engineer. Many of those issues can be worked around by disabling superfluous effects in the QS settings.

As for crashes, lockups, and memory leaks, I haven't experienced any of this, so I would be suspicious of an issue with old / cached settings, or problematic plugins.

For the moment, my only recommendation would be to back up your settings, (esp Application Support/Quicksilver), then rename / remove that directory as well as the caches, and start fresh with no plugins enabled.

You'll probably get stuck at the splash screen, which will require you to run a "defaults" command that Skurfer has recently mentioned (I don't recall if in this listserve or on GitHub -- I'd certainly like to deprecate this listserve at some point to redice the sprawl).

Nate